VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Joshua Brinley Jacks_Daddy07's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased a Hauppauge HD PVR for recording shows on satellite. I have it hooked up and am using the PS3 settings to record these shows. They are in the M2TS file format and I want to get them to an avi file format and to also compress the file size down. A 30 min show under the M2TS format runs about 2 GB but I would like it to be around 200-250 MB range. Is there any way of doing this using free software. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. It's probably easiest with Freemake Video Converter, open the m2ts, click on to avi, click on edit preset to adjust the video bitrate to get the size you want(use a bitrate calculator, like videocalc). Use Xvid codec under Video codec and it will work on most devices.

You can also use other all-in-one converters like staxrip, format factory, super, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake v0.9.4 is the champ when it comes to this. The v0.9.5 dropped support for avi and older codecs, so pick the older version.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, handbrake 0.9.4 is also good and easy to use. Adjust the output size directly under the video tab.

Download old versions:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/HandBrake/old-versions#download
    Quote Quote  
  5. Joshua Brinley Jacks_Daddy07's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys I will give it a go when I get home and re-post on here how it turned out. Also what is a good program to use in order to cut out sections and the beginning and end of the video also possibly removing commercials. thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can do some basic cutting with freemake video converter, click on the scissor after you added the clip. Handbrake has no editing support.

Or else is Videoredo very good for editing. It's not free though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Joshua Brinley Jacks_Daddy07's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Alright Baldrick & Smitbret you guys rock. Handbrake worked like a charm on converting my M2TS file and Freemake was great on clipping out section from the recording that wasn't needed. Here is another question for you, if you take an original file and convert it into another format then take that file and convert it to a different format could that cause audio sync issues.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would think that it could cause audio sync issues. Conversion between audio codecs seemed to cause it. When I first learned how to convert and remux/demux it seemed like I had that problem a lot. Now, I don't see it that much, maybe just occasionally with an .mp4 that has an odd frame rate. Maybe I'm just better at it or the system that I use is better.... who knows? Even so, sync issues are usually corrected pretty easily with a simple remux and setting a delay on the audio track.
    Quote Quote