VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to take some HDV projects I'm working on and print the finished results to tape. I'm using Vegas pro 10 and the machine I'm editing on does not have FireWire. I'm capturing from my HV40 on another machine with HDVSplit. Is tried rendering the project to a M2T file with the same specs as the original capture and printing that file back to tape on the machine I captured with using Vegas. It works but the video on the tape is messed up. The lower half looks black and white. The file I'm using looks and plays fine so I know it wasn't a bad render. Is there a simple program like WinDV that can print a HDV file back to tape without a lot of hassle?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Vegas Pro, you can print to HDV tape. See "tools" menu.

Of course an IEEE-1394 port is required.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's not that Vegas won't print the video. I rendered 2 clips to print back, both with the same settings. Vegas printed one clip but on the tape the video was black and white on the bottom half. I tried it on another HV40 and had the same result. The rendered video plays and looks normal so it shouldn't be a problem with the clip.

The second clip Vegas says is invalid andbit wont even open it.

So I was just wondering if there is a program similar to WinDV that can record my files back to tape without fussing.

Edit:
    The same machine I captured on has Corel Video Studio on it which I can accomplish printing back to tape with. The format is 60i transport stream with Upper field first. The rendered video is 30p. It won't affect anything if I should ever happen to need to capture the finished footage and render it again, right?
    Last edited by stantheman1976; 7th Aug 2011 at 10:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDV 30p is stored as 60i. nothing can tell the difference. it is fine printing 30p back to tape as 60i.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. That's what I thought. Corel is wanting to render it instead of printing directly so I don't know if there's any quality loss to worry about. Its still 25mbps video and 384kbps audio but that means they have both been compressed twice now. So I'd still like to know if there's an easier way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vegas pro would smart render only the changed areas before printing to tape. best i know of.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I rarely print HDV back to tape. I've done it many times with DV format.

For everything to work most smoothly, you would need to use the HDV 1440x1080 60i project setting. I've had that work with full smart render.

I haven't tried "print to tape" with other project settings. That would require a realtime format conversion. I'd need to experiment. You may need to pre-render the timeline.

What project setting are you using?

PS: You probably know this but even in HDV project mode, any clips with filters need to be pre-rendered before 'Print to tape' will work. Select clip then under Tools apply 'Selectively Prerender Video'.
    Last edited by edDV; 7th Aug 2011 at 16:25.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote