VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Beer-phile
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I need to buy a new video card because my 8800 GTS just died again and I'm tired of baking the sob.

My rig is a few years old: Asus P5N-E Mobo, C2D6400 2.13Ghz, 2GB RAM 6400

Obviously, the single GTX 460 is a newer and better card......my concern is that because of my older PC, that it won't be able to get the full punch out of the 460. Perhaps running 2 9800 GT cards SLI would be sufficient? Also, 9800 GT cards can be had for $40 each right now. At some point, I'll fully update all components, but I can't do that right now. What do you guys think?

If you guys know of some other good cards for under $150, let me know. I've also been looking at the 550 TI card.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by edDV; 4th Aug 2011 at 04:50.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Beer-phile
    Search Comp PM
    I know for sure I can fit and cool whatever option I go with.....I'm more interested in which option is the best "bang for my buck", so to speak.I don't want to spend more than I have to but I want to ensure good performance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I Googled "9800gt vs gtx 460" and got several references like this one.
    http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/879774-9800gt-sli-single-gtx-460-oc.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Hey guys,

I need to buy a new video card because my 8800 GTS just died again and I'm tired of baking the sob.

My rig is a few years old: Asus P5N-E Mobo, C2D6400 2.13Ghz, 2GB RAM 6400

Obviously, the single GTX 460 is a newer and better card......my concern is that because of my older PC, that it won't be able to get the full punch out of the 460. Perhaps running 2 9800 GT cards SLI would be sufficient? Also, 9800 GT cards can be had for $40 each right now. At some point, I'll fully update all components, but I can't do that right now. What do you guys think?

If you guys know of some other good cards for under $150, let me know. I've also been looking at the 550 TI card.....
    2x9800 GT or 1 GTX 460??? No one.

For your PC only 1 9800 GT(X) is very good. Up to this your PC will be bottleneck.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the gtx 460. it has more and faster ddr5 vram. some games won't use sli and some won't run with just 512mb ram these days.

i have a gtx 460 with 2gb ram in an old p35 chipset board and it's a screamer even with just a pci-e x16 slot like your board not the newer pci-e (2.0) 16 slot. plays witcher 2 on high quality setting no problem.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Beer-phile
    Search Comp PM
    So what Claudio said isn't correct about a awesome card being a waste on my machine...........true it will have some bottlenecking, but the card will still shine when it counts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So what Claudio said isn't correct about a awesome card being a waste on my machine...........true it will have some bottlenecking, but the card will still shine when it counts?
    Check in any site about video-cards. Post your config and waiting for equal answers like mine only.

Your PC is no good for GTX 460. Many bootleneck will get.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Check in any site about video-cards. Post your config and waiting for equal answers like mine only.

Your PC is no good for GTX 460. Many bootleneck will get.

Claudio
    you said that already. i can vouch it's just not true. went from a 8600 to a 460 in a p35 chipset board and it's night and day. the first card wouldn't even load witcher 2 the 460 plays it on high.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post

you said that already. i can vouch it's just not true. went from a 8600 to a 460 in a p35 chipset board and it's night and day. the first card wouldn't even load witcher 2 the 460 plays it on high.

You do not understand. I'm speaking from the point of view to leave the computer was a high performance. If Q8400 + DDR3 i will indicate a GTX460.

Below that is going to bottleneck.

Even if you feel an improvement, the board will not use its power, it will be limited by the processor / memory / P35. Simple.

If you want more information, go to a site of video cards and do what I said.

It is better to invest in a new PC or get a 9800GT.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is no bottleneck the pci-e (1.0)x16 slot has a bandwidth capability of 250MB/s and the gtx460 only uses ~ 115MB/s max. the gpu isn't tied to the cpu so it will run just fine.

a p35 chipset uses ddr2, and a 460 works very nicely in it.

the 9800 is the same as the 8800.

a gtx460 could be moved to a newer motherboard/cpu and work well, a 9800 would probably be thrown out.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is no bottleneck the pci-e (1.0)x16 slot has a bandwidth capability of 250MB/s and the gtx460 only uses ~ 115MB/s max. the gpu isn't tied to the cpu so it will run just fine.

a p35 chipset uses ddr2, and a 460 works very nicely in it.

the 9800 is the same as the 8800.

a gtx460 could be moved to a newer motherboard/cpu and work well, a 9800 would probably be thrown out.
    OK, ALL videocards sites are wrong...No more about this.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Beer-phile
    Search Comp PM
    Ishould also add that my monitor (Samsung 931c) max rez is 1280x1080. How much bearing does that have on what card I should get?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ishould also add that my monitor (Samsung 931c) max rez is 1280x1080. How much bearing does that have on what card I should get?
    None if you just want to watch 1280x1080.

If your system can accommodate it, the GTX-460 will give a better game frame rate. If the system won't run at that speed, your next system should. If your power supply and/or cooling are inadequate, the 460 won't run on the current system.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the gtx460 here is hooked up to a samsung 1680x1050 lcd. works fine, cards don't really care what size the monitor is, as long as it a standard size. you did mean 1280x1024 didn't you?
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you did mean 1280x1024 didn't you?
    Yeah, 1280x1080 is most likely a plasma TV.
    Quote Quote