VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I originally posted this in the "Audio" section, but now realize this is probably the better place for it... sorry for the double post.

I have an MKV file that is unable to play on my blu ray player because the reference frame # is too high. For some reason the audio gets out of sync when playing on my computer - the audio gets ahead of the video and gets worse the longer I play it. Strangely, it plays perfectly on another computer (not one I own) yet my computer is better in every respect that I can tell. Here are the specs:

My computer: Win XP, Pentium 4 2.4GHz, 2 GB Ram, Geforce 6200 AGP video card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard.

Computer that plays it perfectly: Win XP AMD Sempron+ 3300, 2GHz, 256 MB ram, onboard sound, onboard video

I have reformatted my system, installed a fresh windows and used the same codec to test both computers: klite basic playing with Windows media player. I have tried numerous other players and codecs on my system. I also have the most recent drivers for my video and audio cards.

Any ideas what's wrong??? I could recode but it would take very long and the video quality would decrease.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could open the task manager and see if the cpu usage approaches 100% when the file is playing.
    If so, it may account for the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply. The cpu usage is at 100% most of the time, but its the same with the other computer. This must be fixable somehow. I just don't understand how a computer with onboard video and audio can play the file fine, but mine can't.

Any other ideas/fixes?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    could be a problem with the codec pack. they are mostly despised around here. try a player that uses it own like vlc.

i thought i had already replied to your thread and i had. don't double post.

open up task manager and click on the processes tab click cpu twice to bring the highest to the top and see what is using all the cpu cycles.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 4th Aug 2011 at 15:38.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Again sorry for the double post, in retrospect the audio forum was not the correct place to ask my question. I tried to see if I could delete it.

I didn't know any players had their own codecs. I will uninstall the codec pack and try vlc again. I'll also check the processes and post an update. Thanks for the input!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think the 6200 graphics chipset had some HW acceleration; assuming you have a recent Nvidia driver,
    something like MPC-HC (or possibly VLC) may be able to play using DXVA .

I have an 8600GT in mine and it supports all 720p H264 and some of the 1080p I have thrown at it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. How would I turn on DXVA - through the nvidia software or in the media player?

Here's an update of what I've tried. Fresh install of XP. Without installing any codec packs I tried several players. VLC is the only one with in sync audio, but the video was very choppy. Everything else including MPC-HC had fluid video with audio track getting ahead within seconds.

Thanks for the Replies!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it's going to work. Sorry to bring bad news,
    I read a little more and it seems the chipset is only capable of acceleration at SD res.

See the paragraph "naming conventions"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo
    Quote Quote