VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Search PM
    Hi

    I have a Magnavox ZV450MW8 dvd vhs combo, 2 years i have had it, in the last month on channel 26 only i can not record or burn anything from that channel fox fsn , i have another sylvania burner, and will record it no problem. I have had charter communications here, and they can not figure it out. Burning on the magnavox without cable box, the sylvania is on a cable box
    we switched the magnavox to an hd box i have, same error message/ Please advise

    I had this happen once before and a former employee they had fixed it in the field some how, but it has returned

    tks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bad channel View Post
    we switched the magnavox to an hd box i have, same error message/ Please advise

    I had this happen once before and a former employee they had fixed it in the field some how, but it has returned

    tks
    What is the error message?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by bad channel View Post
    we switched the magnavox to an hd box i have, same error message/ Please advise

    I had this happen once before and a former employee they had fixed it in the field some how, but it has returned

    tks
    What is the error message?
    ====================================

    "can not record in +VR MODE"
    -------------------
    Sorry for omitting that, i thought i posted it but see i did not/ that was the subject line
    TK
    Last edited by bad channel; 25th Jul 2011 at 19:08. Reason: error
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    If you look on page 93 of the Magnavox ZV450MW8 manual, it says the error message "This program is not recordable in +VR mode." is displayed when a program is marked with "copy once" copy protection. This could be real (any cable-only station can legally use this level of copy protection) or could be caused by noise in the signal triggering overly-sensitive copy protection detection. The manual says that Magnavox ZV450MW8 doesn't record copy-once programs on DVD.

    There are devices that remove copy protection from an RCA composite connection but I have no personal experience with them, and good ones are not cheap. Nothing can block copy protection on a channel tuned by the DVD recorder itself.

    The only thing that I can think of that might be done "in the field" to correct the problem is to boost the strength of that channel, if it is an analog channel, and it is weaker than most others. Sometimes a weak signal is noisier.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 25th Jul 2011 at 21:45.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    midwest
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you look on page 93 of the Magnavox ZV450MW8 manual, it says the error message "This program is not recordable in +VR mode." is displayed when a program is marked with "copy once" copy protection. This could be real (any cable-only station can legally use this level of copy protection) or could be caused by noise in the signal triggering overly-sensitive copy protection detection. The manual says that Magnavox ZV450MW8 doesn't record copy-once programs on DVD.

    There are devices that remove copy protection from an RCA composite connection but I have no personal experience with them, and good ones are not cheap. Nothing can block copy protection on a channel tuned by the DVD recorder itself.

    The only thing that I can think of that might be done "in the field" to correct the problem is to boost the strength of that channel, if it is an analog channel, and it is weaker than most others. Sometimes a weak signal is noisier.
    It seems strange this had no issues and now does, you can't forget and leave the tv channel on 26 if recording another, this will not let another channel to be recorded, strange it happens continuously.

    I am probably going to try one of these devices, about 90.00
    tks

    1 channel out of 200+ has it and naturally the one you want!
    Last edited by bad channel; 26th Jul 2011 at 08:48. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Dakota USA
    Search Comp PM
    How do I switch from +VR to video mode??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by D. Smith View Post
    How do I switch from +VR to video mode??
    This model only supports +VR mode recording, even using DVD-R and DVD-RW.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Dakota USA
    Search Comp PM
    Let me back up a little bit! I have a magnavox DVD/VHS recorder/player and I have read the instruction manual (the English part) over and over and it makes no sense. We recently switched cable companies and I used to be able to record anything off tv onto a DVD, which is what I'm still trying to do. I'm not recording from another source, just the tv. Would it be because of the switch in companies, do you think? I've never seen that "warning" on my screen before and now since we switched cable companies I cannot record a thing. I've tried +R DVD's and -R DVD's and I've pushed every button and turned every knob (so to speak) and I cannot for the life of me figure out why I keep getting this message and why it will not allow me to record off tv. I've never tried dubbing from a VHS to a DVD (although I supposedly can do that, which is one of the reasons I bought this particular machine in the first place) but I'm suspecting it won't allow me to do that either.

    I read at another thread here on this forum somewhere to switch from +VR to Video Mode and I have no clue what that means. Your answer above doesn't help me at all, sorry. Any suggestions for where I could find an answer?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by D. Smith View Post
    Let me back up a little bit! I have a magnavox DVD/VHS recorder/player and I have read the instruction manual (the English part) over and over and it makes no sense. We recently switched cable companies and I used to be able to record anything off tv onto a DVD, which is what I'm still trying to do. I'm not recording from another source, just the tv. Would it be because of the switch in companies, do you think? I've never seen that "warning" on my screen before and now since we switched cable companies I cannot record a thing. I've tried +R DVD's and -R DVD's and I've pushed every button and turned every knob (so to speak) and I cannot for the life of me figure out why I keep getting this message and why it will not allow me to record off tv. I've never tried dubbing from a VHS to a DVD (although I supposedly can do that, which is one of the reasons I bought this particular machine in the first place) but I'm suspecting it won't allow me to do that either.

    I read at another thread here on this forum somewhere to switch from +VR to Video Mode and I have no clue what that means. Your answer above doesn't help me at all, sorry. Any suggestions for where I could find an answer?
    Yes. Switching cable providers could trigger an error message. The channels marked as copy protected varies between providers. Some copy protect everything. Encountering copy protection causes the Magnavox ZV450MW8 to display error message "cannot record in +VR MODE" and the machine won't record the channel.

    History Lesson: Once upon a time, a consortium of consumer electronics and optical media companies invented DVD+R and DVD+RW media and the DVD+VR recording mode to go with it, in part to take advantage of newer technology and in part to avoid paying royalties to other companies. Funai/Magnavox continued to use +VR mode recording exclusively until recently, when they switched over to video mode.

    So, unless your Magnavox DVD recorder is one of the newest models released in the past year or two, there is no chance your machine can use video mode recording. ... and if your machine is not a Magnavox ZV450MW8, you should have started your own thread instead of posting in dead thread about a problem someone had with a Magnavox ZV450MW8 in 2011.

    [Edit]In any case, switching to video mode won't allow recording from copy protected channels.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jul 2017 at 17:03.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    South Dakota USA
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry for posting in this dead thread but I found this place through a general web search, I did not know about this forum before.

    My Magnavox is a ZV427MG9. Sorry for posting in the wrong place. But thanks anyway for the info you provided above. I did check the box so you'd know that I knew this was an old thread, so I just took my chances in asking a question here. I don't exactly know how this forum works since I've never been here before. Sorry!
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads