VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought the Mag 513 DVD recorder - based upon the recommendations and advice I received here in another thread. But I can't get the DVD menu to display on the tv

I know it must be something simple but I don't know what it is. The manual is stilted and less than helpful.

I have TV set on Channel 3. I see the cable station passing through the Mag. Bu I can't get the Mag's menu.

thank you

P.S. Connection is cable box -coax - Mag - coax - combo TV (set to TV input). Mag shows "CH 3 HDD" on display
    Last edited by Novice20; 24th Jul 2011 at 18:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I played around and around with this and I figured out that the Mag needs two connections from it to the TV: the coax, which is used only for pass-thru, and the component connections (in my case semi-component as the TV side is not RCA but a combined mini-plug) to be able to get the display. It took me only almost two hours to get this to work - the manual is a good example of something that just because it has many pages, it is not very clear nor helpful

I have still have two questions:

I have the MAG set to channel 3 - and the cable's channel cpmes over fine. Do I have to do a 'scan' with the MAG? Or is this hard-coded setting sufficient?

Do I have to have a disk in the MAG to record in HDD? In the HDD instructions, the manual keeps saying to first insert a disk.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Managed to get through to MAG tech Support (after about 3 hrs). They answered my questions (#1 = yes, sort of) #2 = No
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: If pass though is working then the answer is no ... no need to scan

2: If mag requires a disc to record anything then yes ... in HD is a no.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, BJS, for your help - it's appreciated
    Quote Quote