VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought the Mag 513 DVD recorder - based upon the recommendations and advice I received here in another thread. But I can't get the DVD menu to display on the tv

I know it must be something simple but I don't know what it is. The manual is stilted and less than helpful.

I have TV set on Channel 3. I see the cable station passing through the Mag. Bu I can't get the Mag's menu.

thank you

P.S. Connection is cable box -coax - Mag - coax - combo TV (set to TV input). Mag shows "CH 3 HDD" on display
    Last edited by Novice20; 24th Jul 2011 at 18:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I played around and around with this and I figured out that the Mag needs two connections from it to the TV: the coax, which is used only for pass-thru, and the component connections (in my case semi-component as the TV side is not RCA but a combined mini-plug) to be able to get the display. It took me only almost two hours to get this to work - the manual is a good example of something that just because it has many pages, it is not very clear nor helpful

I have still have two questions:

I have the MAG set to channel 3 - and the cable's channel cpmes over fine. Do I have to do a 'scan' with the MAG? Or is this hard-coded setting sufficient?

Do I have to have a disk in the MAG to record in HDD? In the HDD instructions, the manual keeps saying to first insert a disk.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Managed to get through to MAG tech Support (after about 3 hrs). They answered my questions (#1 = yes, sort of) #2 = No
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: If pass though is working then the answer is no ... no need to scan

2: If mag requires a disc to record anything then yes ... in HD is a no.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, BJS, for your help - it's appreciated
    Quote Quote