VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How long does it take for your computer to boot up to desktop?

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My computers takes 30 seconds and is ready to do anything right away.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most in the 30 to 60 second range.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    45 seconds, but it has to load a couple of HDD controller card BIOSs and that slows it down a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [Win XP home ed]
    30 seconds to the windows tone and the showing of my desktop,
    another minute for Comodo to load and For the Google talk bar to show if I have any messages.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    A fresh install of Windows XP takes less than 30 seconds to show the logon screen

However, as the Registry gets fatter and fatter, especially after installing MS Office, ...

57 seconds now
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    around 3 minutes for complete reboot , another minute to logon to videohelp.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the machine listed in my specs - 75 seconds until avg is done loading and the hard drive stops spinning.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. On the one I built for my brother the P.O.S.T. takes as long as the time for windows 7 to load.
    On mine I haven't timed it yet, however it is much faster and snappier since I went to a SSD boot drive, Transferring my old WIn7 over to the new SSD. The Laptops are much faster too now that they boot from a SSD.

A application that used to take minutes to be ready to load now is ready in seconds.

I could have shaved more time by going with faster SSDs, I went with Intel for reliability vs top speed. I saw to many complaints abut some of the other brands especially one brand in Dell laptops.

After watching mine boot some friends ran out and got SSDs for the boot drive too.

Best results windows 7 and AHCI in the bios.

One other big boost, adding a USB3 card and switching to USB3 external cases for the drives.

Good Luck
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    almost 60 seconds on win7 ( With AMD 6gig mem & hexacore)
    The Dutchman
    Quote Quote  
  10. Chrome book says they can do it in 7 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My HP Pavilion Desktop running XP (SP2), which I use as a web server, takes about ten mins to reboot. A combination of System Guard, McAfee Personal Firewall and AVG (free edition) seem to be what's slowing it down but it is incredibly reliable so I don't want to risk changing anything.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Some ASRock motherboards have an "instant boot" feature that can boot in 4 seconds. It's not really a boot though. When you shut down they reboot intstead and go straight to a low power sleep mode. It only takes 4 seconds to wake from that state but it looks like a fresh boot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some ASRock motherboards have an "instant boot" feature that can boot in 4 seconds. It's not really a boot though. When you shut down they reboot intstead and go straight to a low power sleep mode. It only takes 4 seconds to wake from that state but it looks like a fresh boot.
    is that what the program is. it came with my m.b. and i installed it but never have tried it. i think i'd rather turn it off completely than have it sleep, so it will remain unused.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    normally between 30 to 60 seconds....average about 45

i have ahci enabled in the BIOS so i can use eSATA functionality so it slows it down a bit...w/o it enabled its normally around 30 seconds or so
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some ASRock motherboards have an "instant boot" feature that can boot in 4 seconds. It's not really a boot though. When you shut down they reboot intstead and go straight to a low power sleep mode. It only takes 4 seconds to wake from that state but it looks like a fresh boot.
    is that what the program is. it came with my m.b. and i installed it but never have tried it. i think i'd rather turn it off completely than have it sleep, so it will remain unused.
    Power consumption is only a few watts in that mode. And I have it hooked up to a UPS so it could go hours without mains power.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    huh, 4 seconds or 45. mine's on a brand new 1000 watt ups also, as the new psu and cpu wouldn't work with the old type ups - wrong sine wave or some such thing, it would just shut off. i may have to give it a go just for sh_ts and giggles.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i loaded "instant boot" at shutdown last night. really is almost instant. push the power button 2 seconds later the computer is usable. strange way to do it though, as shutdown takes 3 times as long going through a reboot to sleep.

i won't keep it on though as it changed all my custom power settings like turning off the hard drives after 20mins., which i don't allow and if i set it back to never i don't want the drives running all night while the rest of the computer sleeps.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  18. Actually, I don't use it either. I just let the computer go to sleep when not in use.
    Quote Quote  
  19. My XP after some update, now takes like fifteen minutes, but that's to load stuff too. So that one gets to boot from sleep as it's faster.
    Turning off it's like 20 seconds.

W7 takes about a minute. But turning off can take several minutes as it likes to update W7 a lot. lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I reboot at least once every 24 hours, partly to renew my IP address and partly to convince my ISP that I'm not running a home server.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I missed this poll.

I honestly can't say as I've never timed either my old single core emachine nor my dual core hp desktop. Both are less than 5 minutes as far as I can tell. But neither are "scream machines". They don't have ssd drives. My hp has a sata drive and my emachine is using pata.

But for what I use em for they are adequate. My old emachine single core is mainly for surfing and word processing. I do any video stuff on my dual core amd hp desktop.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I think some people might be confused between sleep, hibernate & the computer actually being 'off.'
    Quote Quote