VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I want to encode anime from DVD to a x264 vfr mkv.

I searched through the forum and I think I should encode in cfr and then mux the timecode to become vfr mkv.

However, my source is DVD. ffvideosource doesn't seems like work with DVD, can someone please teach me how to do it??

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. can someone please answer me? >< sigh
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to the forum. You can probably start here: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You can probably start here: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdbackup.
    Hi

It doesn't tell me how to encode a vfr mkv though.... I looked at the megui x264 encoding guide. what i get is a cfr mp4 not vfr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just use single pass constant quality encoding. That will only use the bitrate needed to encode any given scene.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Just use single pass constant quality encoding. That will only use the bitrate needed to encode any given scene.
    Hi the problem is my DVD has different frame rate for Opening and Ending. I don't want to just change the framerate to 23.98 FPS. Instead I want to have different frame rate for different scenes. Do you get what I am saying??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Can someone help me please??? ><
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VFR is a solution without a (real) problem. And it causes more problems than it solves. I won't recommend it for anything except scientific research. Just like I don't recommend VBR audio. Not worth it.

olyteddy was referring to CQ VBR, but I know that's not what you were looking for.

A simple search on this site will give you what you are looking for (using cfr source + changed timecodes muxed in via mkvmerge, IIRC), but you would be causing a buttload of trouble for later playback (if no for you, then certainly for those you might want to share with). And because you don't actually ENCODE direct to VFR, it's not truly a filesize/bitrate savings like VBR clearly is (unless the app were to "re-edit" the frames).

Maybe that's why few have answered you...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    VFR is a solution without a (real) problem. And it causes more problems than it solves. I won't recommend it for anything except scientific research. Just like I don't recommend VBR audio. Not worth it.

olyteddy was referring to CQ VBR, but I know that's not what you were looking for.

A simple search on this site will give you what you are looking for (using cfr source + changed timecodes muxed in via mkvmerge, IIRC), but you would be causing a buttload of trouble for later playback (if no for you, then certainly for those you might want to share with). And because you don't actually ENCODE direct to VFR, it's not truly a filesize/bitrate savings like VBR clearly is (unless the app were to "re-edit" the frames).

Maybe that's why few have answered you...

Scott
    But How do I solve the problem that my DVD has different frame rate?

I tried to use megui to automatically analyze the deinterlace pattern but the result is not good.

I thought VFR will solve my problem. Can you recommend any other way then??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Different frame rate than what?

MeGUI is a GUI to CLI process such as AVISynth, X264, etc. The AVS script starts with an input source (in this case, DVD). There are a number of sources one can use. For DVD, particularly one with changes in Interlacing cadence, one of the best input sources is DGIndex/DGMPEGDec. It's likely, though, that it is NOT the default input source chosen by MeGUI. So you change your AVS script to reflect this, and possibly your Interlacing cadene difficulties (which is what I believe you're actually referring to when you talk about "different frame rate" stuff) will be taken care of.

Why don't you describe WHAT you've got to start with (title?) and what you want to end up with/how you intend to use it...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Different frame rate than what?

MeGUI is a GUI to CLI process such as AVISynth, X264, etc. The AVS script starts with an input source (in this case, DVD). There are a number of sources one can use. For DVD, particularly one with changes in Interlacing cadence, one of the best input sources is DGIndex/DGMPEGDec. It's likely, though, that it is NOT the default input source chosen by MeGUI. So you change your AVS script to reflect this, and possibly your Interlacing cadene difficulties (which is what I believe you're actually referring to when you talk about "different frame rate" stuff) will be taken care of.

Why don't you describe WHAT you've got to start with (title?) and what you want to end up with/how you intend to use it...

Scott
    Hi,

first I use file indexer to produce a d2v file of my ANIME DVD.
    Then I wrote a AVS script as follow

-----------------------------------------
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\nosmas\Desktop\MeGUI_2028_x86 \tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("J:\NO_MONEY\VIDEO_TS\VTS_03_ 1.d2v", info=3)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\nosmas\Desktop\MeGUI_2028_x86 \tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")
    ColorMatrix(hints=true, interlaced=true, threads=0)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\nosmas\Desktop\MeGUI_2028_x86 \tools\avisynth_plugin\TIVTC.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\nosmas\Desktop\MeGUI_2028_x86 \tools\avisynth_plugin\deen.dll")
    tfm(order=-1).tdecimate(mode=1,hybrid=1)
    #crop
    deen("a3d",3,3,1,3)
    Spline36Resize(960,540) # Spline36 (Neutral)
    LoadPlugin("C:\Users\nosmas\Desktop\MeGUI_2028_x86 \tools\avisynth_plugin\FluxSmooth.dll")
    FluxSmoothST(7,7) # Medium Noise
    Tweak(0,1.2,5,1)

__film = last
    __t0 = __film.trim(0, 42485)
    __t0
    --------------------------------------------------------

The result is not bad, but NOT PERFECT.
    Some frame didnt deinterlace correctly...
    Would you like a sample? If so I can upload it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I won't be able to look at it for a few days, and it's possible that others (jagabo, poisondeathray, etc) would be better at guiding you through all the AVISynth script choices.

However, it probably WOULD be a good idea if you uploaded a ~10sec clip of the original DVD rip.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I won't be able to look at it for a few days, and it's possible that others (jagabo, poisondeathray, etc) would be better at guiding you through all the AVISynth script choices.

However, it probably WOULD be a good idea if you uploaded a ~10sec clip of the original DVD rip.

Scott
    original DVDrip?

Do you mean the original DVD or the DVDrip I made?
    Quote Quote  
  14. The original DVD. A short section showing the 2 different framerates.
    Quote Quote