VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Often I deal with rather large MKV files, sometimes in excess of 30GB. Often I need to make a minor change to the file, such as making a subtitle track a non-default track. I imagine some modifications wouldn't add any more data to the MKV, so my question is, does anyone know of a tool that make certain changes to an MKV without re-writing the entire file?

I currently use MKVToolnix for all of my MKV needs.
    Last edited by Wardrop; 13th Jul 2011 at 19:38.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try mkvpropedit that is included in mkvtoolnix. Only a command line app though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, I'll give that a go.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, mkvpropedit kicks ass. Here's what I did to turn off the default subtitles track:

1) Open the file in MKV Merge GUI to easily view the properties of the file.
    2) Note the number of the track that you want to modify (e.g. 1 for the first track)
    3) Run the following command: mkvpropedit --edit track:1 --set flag-default=0 "E:\Example.mkv"
    4) Marvel at the instant modification.

Some handy documentation can be found here: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvpropedit.html

Someone needs to write a GUI for this app though as I fear it's being severely under used.
    Quote Quote