VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Taylor Swift CD purchased from Target that has "bonus" video content on the second disc in addition to 6 audio tracks. When I put the disc in either of my PC's (XP SP3 OS) drives it only shows up as an Audio CD. Regardless of switching Autoplay features, or trying to "Explore" the disc, or even opening files within a player (e.g., VLC), the audio files are the only ones that show up with no way to see the video/data file.

While viewing the Taylor Swift video is not that important, I am now fixated on trying to access the file that seems to be hidden by some XP setting or installed software on my PC. After much Googling about mixed content CDs and Autoplay options, I am still unsuccessful at accessing the video file.

If anyone could post a solution to viewing the video file from the disc, please do so.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wild4trv30; 13th Jul 2011 at 09:48.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You said: "Explore" the disc. Did you use windows file explore?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    You said: "Explore" the disc. Did you use windows file explore?

If you mean by right-clicking the drive and selecting "Explore"...yes. The Explore window comes up with the file tree on the left and just the .cda files on the right--no video files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if ISO Buster could extract the files or maybe try to copy the disc in Nero as a disc with different types of files.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you or a friend have access to a Linux server you could put the CD on it and see what it looks like there. I can't say what's the case with this disc but sometimes manufacturers do botch the process of adding extra content and I wouldn't rule out that it's not on the disc due to some kind of mistake.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What taylor swift bonus cd are you havng problems on?
    Last edited by Wizard23; 13th Jul 2011 at 18:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it's an industry-standard "Enhanced Audio CD", it will be a stamped multisession audio disc, which SHOULD show a standard ISO9660 filesystem if you were to use the "Explore" right-click option. However, there may be one or more of many things that could be confusing the issue.

Use ISOBuster instead.
    No matter how you're set up with your standard Windows drivers, you can use ISOBuster to see a multi-session Audio CD (as it uses its own code for that). You should see a "CD" icon on the lefthand panel with a tree that shows one or more audio CD tracks, and then finally at the bottom (end) a Data track that holds an ISO9660 and/or Joliet and/or UDF filesystem.

Look within that section and you should be able Extract (right-clicking) the data to your Hard drive (assuming the CD doesn't have some stupid copy protection on it).

If this DOESN'T show up, reply back with a screenshot of what you do see; we'll be able to help you further...

Scott

edit: It could be a true "BlueBook" Enhanced Audio CD, but I doubt it as the tools for creating those are ANCIENT, and most producers/distributors have long since reverted to a simpler ISO9660+Flash/Etc+Autorun layout.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the ISOBuster tip. Holy cow...the multi-sessions showed up immediately, and I was able to copy the video files (in this case low quality/res MOV files) from Session 2 of the CD.

The CD was the bonus content disc from Speak Now from Target. Realistically, I don't see my needing to do this again much in the future, but at least I can if I need to. Thanks for the help. I can't figure out why they would market this CD to the masses and make it impractical for a standard OS to access the bonus content (not that the content was good quality to begin with).

My PC and drives are functioning normally otherwise--just this quirky CD.

Thanks again. I'll add this software to my video tool arsenal.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wild4trv30 View Post
    The CD was the bonus content disc from Speak Now from Target. Realistically, I don't see my needing to do this again much in the future, but at least I can if I need to. Thanks for the help. I can't figure out why they would market this CD to the masses and make it impractical for a standard OS to access the bonus content (not that the content was good quality to begin with).
    To be blunt, it's you and not them. While I did once buy an audio CD that absolutely does not have the one bonus video it was supposed to have, I've never had a PC that couldn't see the 2nd session on this type of disc. I have no idea what is keeping your PC from seeing this session but I've never run into it on any PC I ever owned. There's probably some software that you are using that I've never used that is causing this behavior. If you are curious you might try putting this disc on other people's PCs and I bet you'll find that most or maybe even all of them can see the extra content.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by wild4trv30 View Post
    To be blunt, it's you and not them. While I did once buy an audio CD that absolutely does not have the one bonus video it was supposed to have, I've never had a PC that couldn't see the 2nd session on this type of disc. I have no idea what is keeping your PC from seeing this session but I've never run into it on any PC I ever owned. There's probably some software that you are using that I've never used that is causing this behavior. If you are curious you might try putting this disc on other people's PCs and I bet you'll find that most or maybe even all of them can see the extra content.
    While the ISOBuster was a quick work-around, I took your advice and put the disc in an ancient tower with Win ME on it. Not only did the data files show up when I right-clicked on the drive and selected "Explore", but there was an autorun that popped up a little Taylor Swift branded flash player window with a little video window with a TOC of the video titles below it.

So, there must be some system setting on my XP tower that is preventing viewing the full contents, or spurious software that I installed over the years.

If I get the time, I may see if I can run Puppy Linux from one of my optical drives and mount the Taylor Swift CD placed in the second optical drive.

Thanks for the input.

UPDATE: Just tried the Puppy Linux route on the same tower that has XP installed. While the Flash window player thingy didn't pop up (which would be expected), I was able to view all the contents of the CD and play the video files without problem. So, it's not the hardware....it's XP or some installed software that is forcing the disc to be viewed as an Audio CD only.
    Last edited by wild4trv30; 14th Jul 2011 at 15:06. Reason: Updated
    Quote Quote  
  11. Coincidentally, I just tried playing an enhanced CD (mixed content) on my XP PC given out with a kid's meal. It's the same issue with that CD as well. However, I think I just discovered the culprit....DVD43 was forcing the disc to come up as just an Audio CD. When it was disabled, the enhanced CDs loaded as originally intended.

At least I got to learn about ISOBuster in the process!

Thanks.
    Last edited by wild4trv30; 18th Jul 2011 at 08:46.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Can't view "bonus video content" on Taylor Swift CD

Is Kanye West at it again . . . ?

But seriously now, I have a couple of older CDs with enhanced content which it states can only be viewed on a Mac. So I've never seen that content. Other than that, I suppose it would have to be a multi-session kinda deal.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote