VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Here in SoCal $8 is one small beer in a plastic cup at the fair.
    I don't buy those either!

I'm keeping both streaming and disc subscriptions for the time being.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the $8 streaming offerings are no good, try the $5 bin at WallyMart and get "Herbie has a Hernia".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I saw 'Debbie does Dallas, Denver, and Detroit' in the 99 cent bin...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was reading one post complaining that Blockbuster "only" had the top 50 new releases! HawHawHaw
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hudsonf View Post
    I'm going to read this, but on the evidence I'd have to say it's already happened. I had thought that the Disc Queue was where titles you've listed suddenly become unavailable, but I just noticed that at least 5 titles have disappeared from my Streaming Queue, including a French mystery film that I had planned to watch last night. It had been in my queue for awhile. Guess I waited too long.

Regarding the cost, have you checked the price of movie theater tickets lately, particularly in a medium size or major city ? No wonder the recently announced past-year-attendance figures took a dive, even though the total boxoffice was up a bit. Some of that you can blame on the economy, and maybe some of it on the year's relative quality of movie releases. But a lot of that is just plain 'ol price resistance. At some point -- long past now, I think -- you exceed what your customers are able or willing to pay.

Compared to the evening out at the multiplex, the NF increases don't seem all that steep.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 7th Sep 2011 at 10:45.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hudsonf View Post
    What's left to lose? At least for streaming...it's like they said "What are the absolute worst movies in the history of the world" and put them in the instant "bucket". I signed up for the streaming only for a month and not ONE movie i searched for showed up. If you want to watch home alone 3 or the land before time 87 then Netflix streaming might be for you.

Amazon unbox is a vastly superior service as far as selection of non-obscure movies. Netflix probably has a higher number, but their numbers are grossly padded with c-movies and a lot of documentaries...which is just about all we found to watch for that month.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    You can have multiple streams....
    They used to limit the number of streams to the number of DVDs in your subscription. I was on the 1 DVD at a time plan and could only watch one stream. I wonder what the new limit is?
    Well, it doesn't seem to be so simple:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/09/netflix-cracks-down-now-enforcing-instant-...ream-limit.ars

I just tried playing two clips on one computer (different browsers). The second video refused to play and gave a message saying there was already a video playing on the computer. I then went into the next room where I have a TV with streaming NetFlix built in. I was able to play a movie there while the first video was still playing on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I just tried playing two clips on one computer (different browsers). The second video refused to play and gave a message saying there was already a video playing on the computer. I then went into the next room where I have a TV with streaming NetFlix built in. I was able to play a movie there while the first video was still playing on the computer.
    Different IP addresses, perhaps ? Each device on the (home) network will have a unique one. That wouldn't pass muster with Rapidshare, say, if you're a Free user, but it may be a different story for Netflix subscribers. After all, doesn't it say "unlimited" streaming for that plan ? You might be watching a movie in one room, while the kids watch their own movie in another. In that case, the major limitation is going to be having sufficient bandwidth to support the multiple streaming connections.

[O.K., just read that article linked above. So I guess they are going to be enforcing some sort of cap. You might run into the bandwidth problem well before that, however. It's all I can manage to have one stream with decent performance, given the layout here, and the "G" router that I don't really want to change. I'm on TWC for internet. YMMV.]
    Last edited by Seeker47; 7th Sep 2011 at 17:36.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the idiots at netflix shoulda thought about removing some of their streaming b4 they raised the price. my instant queue droped from 100 to 25 in 1 nite, 75 movies that went to disk only.... not worth it when u can redbox them cheeper (i averaged 3 movies a month on the mail plan as quick as i got em i watched em & mailed... 3 that sux) & quicker with no mailback b4 u get another.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I never seen a decent looking person using redbox at Wal-Walmart
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    So I guess they are going to be enforcing some sort of cap. You might run into the bandwidth problem well before that, however.
    I tried a third simultaneous device (a Blu-ray player with Netflix) and got an error message saying, more or less, "no more streams". So it looks like the limit is two.

I have no problems with bandwidth. Everything is 1000tx Ethernet on the LAN. And the internet connection is 25 Gb/s.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I won't miss the Starz content, as the vast majority of the stuff they offered was very poorly encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I was reading one post complaining that Blockbuster "only" had the top 50 new releases! HawHawHaw
    That may change now that Dishnetwork owns them. It seems that Dishnetwork is also looking at buying Hulu. Thety also have bought Wireless spectrum Combine the two and it may be a viable service.
    Originally Posted by Joe The Dude View Post
    I won't miss the Starz content, as the vast majority of the stuff they offered was very poorly encoded.
    Some Stars looks SD def. Some is OK. It does make me wonder who does the encoding.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    Dishnetwork is also looking at buying Hulu.
    And if they do all the content will be disappearing from Hulu too. The providers don't like the all-you-can-eat scenario. They want to be paid a dollar or two every time someone watches something.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by hudsonf View Post
    'While Starz was a huge part of viewing on Netflix several years ago because it was some of the only mainstream content Netflix offered, over the years Netflix has spent more and more licensing great TV shows from all four broadcast networks and many cable networks, and we have licensed 1st run movies from Relativity, MGM, Paramount, Lionsgate and others. Because we’ve licensed so much other great content, Starz content is now down to about 8% of domestic Netflix subscribers’ viewing. As we add even more content in Q4, we expect Starz content to naturally drift down to 5-6% of domestic viewing in Q1.'
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    And if they do all the content will be disappearing from Hulu too. The providers don't like the all-you-can-eat scenario. They want to be paid a dollar or two every time someone watches something.
    From what I read http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/21/apple-considering-a-bid-for-hulu/

"If sold, Hulu would retain its exclusive content licenses from current owners Disney (where Steve Jobs is a major shareholder and sits on the board) FOX/News Corp., and Comcast/NBC. "
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by TBoneit View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    From what I read http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/21/apple-considering-a-bid-for-hulu/

"If sold, Hulu would retain its exclusive content licenses from current owners Disney (where Steve Jobs is a major shareholder and sits on the board) FOX/News Corp., and Comcast/NBC. "
    Until the licence comes up for renewal. Just like Netflix's licence with Sony expired a few months ago, and license with Starz is expiring next year.

The content providers want want the cost of viewing via streaming to be higher than the cost of viewing via cable, satellite, and over-the-air broadcasting so it doesn't cannibalize that income.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Sep 2011 at 16:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is what a lot of people don't know, that Steve Jobs gave up on the computer concept a loooong time ago, and basically built an entertainment system that could do little except pay-per-view.

Isn't it curious that nobody ever tried to sue Apple? At least not in any big way? That's because he was working both ends of the stick.

He became the gatekeeper of the non-tech people who had no choice but to pay for every bit of media they wanted. He sold Apple as a grassroots movement and commenced bilking his customers' small change.

The guy has the scruples of a carnival sideshow operator.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Wen the economy dropped people turned to Netflix by the tons & they make a lot of money. Stock went to $301! Today it's just $204.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could they manage to muck things up even worse ?

In the wake of their CEO's utterly lame explanation / apology letter, just sent out to Netflix subscribers, this humorous take:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's funny!
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  22. Yes, pretty good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    This is what a lot of people don't know, that Steve Jobs gave up on the computer concept a loooong time ago, and basically built an entertainment system that could do little except pay-per-view.

Isn't it curious that nobody ever tried to sue Apple? At least not in any big way? That's because he was working both ends of the stick.

He became the gatekeeper of the non-tech people who had no choice but to pay for every bit of media they wanted. He sold Apple as a grassroots movement and commenced bilking his customers' small change.

The guy has the scruples of a carnival sideshow operator.
    i've long maintained he and his pal should have been locked up. they made money in the beginning by building phone phreaking devices to sell to people to steal long distance phone service. moved on to stealing computer parts from their employers to build the original apple computers.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Could they manage to muck things up even worse ?

In the wake of their CEO's utterly lame explanation / apology letter, just sent out to Netflix subscribers, this humorous take:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/netflix

Boy That has me still laughing....
    Quote Quote  
  25. Netflix shares dropped another 9.5% today, looks like Reed Hastings needs to go.

As for Apple Computers, it was sued several times by Apple Corps. Steve Jobs promised never to enter the music business, I guess he forgot when iTunes came out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v_Apple_Computer
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Wen the economy dropped people turned to Netflix by the tons & they make a lot of money. Stock went to $301! Today it's just $204.....
    That was less than 2 weeks ago.

Today $130.00

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes, very impressive drop. And very heavy trading. Some big players must be getting out. And others getting in, of course!
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Sep 2011 at 17:57.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post

As for Apple Computers, it was sued several times by Apple Corps. Steve Jobs promised never to enter the music business, I guess he forgot when iTunes came out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v_Apple_Computer
    Looking back at the history of Apple Corp vs Apple Computer, the settlement never to enter the music business was part of the very first trademark infringment suit 1978 - 1981 time frame.

The two subsequent lawsuits were more related to that first ruling than the iTunes suit. But the settlement of the 1991 suit plays an important role in the iTunes dispute. The settlement agreement now included a modified stipulation that Apple Computer agreed that it would not package, sell or distribute any physical music materials.

When Apple Corp initiated the suit over the iTunes store in 2003 - 2006, the general consenses was that Apple Computer was not in violation of anything due to the wording of the previous agreement. This proved to be correct and Apple Corp lost the case.

So, regarding the ITunes related suit, it doesn't look as though Mr. Jobs had any lapse in memory, only sound legal advice.

But, what does any of this have to do with this thread regarding Netflix?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJA View Post
    I never seen a decent looking person using redbox at Wal-Walmart
    That's because it's mostly walmart customers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blockbuster is still open in my town ... 99 cents a movie ... DVD or Blueray .... 53 cents out the door on Sundays
    Quote Quote