VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. My comments in the past pertained specifically to the pro versions, so I don't know if they will apply here or be helpful to you . (To be fair they all have their pros/cons and various quirks). Things like chroma sampling , scaling and deinterlacing algorithms, colorspace handling . Some were very specific issues that have been addressed in new releases (some still haven't been addressed)

But for the typical consumer I would think "Deal breaker" issues are things like stability . Just do a quick search and you will see videostudio seems to have more than it's fair share

FWIW , Elements seems to be very "dumbed down" compared to the Pro version. Many features are missing. But the Vegas Studio Platinum version seems to have almost everything as the Pro, but notably things like scopes are missing (waveform, histogram)

The website have a features comparison list, so some things might more or less important for your purposes, might help you on which SKU to go for
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kev921hs View Post
    I threw this out there earlier but if anyone has any recommendations on a GPU - I'm guessing bigger is better, but probably you get diminishing returns at some point given my budget - keep 'em coming.

Any thoughts on NVIDIA vs AMD(ATI)?
    Follow the recommendations on that GPU link I provided above. Then you will be on track for future Sony upgrades.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Vegas can render a very high quality output file, or something quick and dirty too. If Corel or any of the other entry-level editors has a way to cut corners to spit something out faster, to me, that's a red flag.
    I agree. I don't want a rushed encoding. Having used Vegas extensively for a recent project, I am hooked. The workflow was a breeze, esp the "slip and slide" functionality which really came in handy for me. Rock solid, no crashes. I don't know how Corel compares, but I would wager that Vegas Platinum shits on it.

Go with Vegas Platinum. My honorable 2¢
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have had Vegas crash a couple of times, but I am working on a laptop and V Studio and Elements also both crashed if I worked too fast and hard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Isn't Corel owned by China now too?
    ...Corel’s headquarters are in Ottawa, Canada, with major offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Taiwan, China and Japan.
    Could be....Didn't China recently buy Canada?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Isn't Corel owned by China now too?
    ...Corel’s headquarters are in Ottawa, Canada, with major offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Taiwan, China and Japan.
    Could be....Didn't China recently buy Canada?
    But........ according to Wikipedia ...... In January 2012, Corel acquired Roxio from Rovi Corporation for an undisclosed amount.[6

Quote Quote