VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey ppls, need some help and pointers on what to look out for in the latest camcorders? Do I get HDD or SD Card or is there something newer now? Do I get Sony or Canon or Panasonic or? Which brand is producing some pretty value for money cams? Do I get a camcorder that is HDV or AVCHD or still the good old DV?
    Anything else you can add? The last time I bought my camcorder was about 6 years ago...think i'm out of touch with the latest. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It depends what you will use it for. If I would shoot home movies I buy AVCHD camcorder with build in flash 32 or 64 or with SDXC card. I would recommend sony or canon. They have the best image stabilization. Recently I did big research on camcorders and got Canon Vixia HF S20. (I very like it). If you will watch your video on home TV than interlaced video will be great. I you prefer to watch it on your PC than better progressive scan. You can get camcorder with both types.
    A little cheaper than my Vixia I would take Sony HDR-CX160 HD Flash Memory Camcorder.

You can do own research on B&H. There you can compare camcorders, call them and get consultation. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm gonna be shooting home movies...really amateur stuff and family stuff mainly. And likely I'll be editing and producing dvds to watch on tv or keep. I will have a look at those two models in my local stores. Thanks for the info though! One question though, do these camcorders with SD cards still transfer via firewire or?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My chose of Canon Vixia HF S20 may not be good for you. I looked for 1080p camcorder with possibility to attach accessories (hot shue, ext. mic, light, headphones). If you don't plan to buy accessories (they can cost almost about you camcorder price) than you can choose cheaper model. There is no firewire on that camera but there are 1x USB 2.0, 1x Component Video (out), 1x Composite Video (out), 1x HDMI C (Mini), 1x A/V, 1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Stereo Mini and 1x LANC Terminal. It kind of old model. But there is a large 1/2.6" sensor and all accessories can be attached.
    I really like this cheaper camera Sony HDR-CX160 HD.
    Try to use this site www.bhphotovideo.com You can compare camcorders there side by side and see all their features.
    It can look like this (just example):
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&A=compareChart&Q=&ci=1871&items=%3B...G%3B748413-REG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Immortal25 View Post
    I'm gonna be shooting home movies...really amateur stuff and family stuff mainly. And likely I'll be editing and producing dvds to watch on tv or keep. I will have a look at those two models in my local stores. Thanks for the info though! One question though, do these camcorders with SD cards still transfer via firewire or?
    How will you be editing or viewing it?

What is your current PC and software

What is your TV or other display?

You may find AVCHD very expensive for full process work flow.

Computer+software+display costs add up.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    amriteshvara, thanks for the link. Will have a looksie.

Originally Posted by edDV View Post

I'm still using Pinnacle..which I know most hate it. What software would work best then? My current pc is the old Pentium dual core..1GB RAM, graphics however is GeForce GTX260... HDD is 300GB space.

Planning on getting a new LED LCD tv...HD definitely. What kind of TV is recommended to display the qualities of the camcorder? (Edited and raw?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Immortal25 View Post
    amriteshvara, thanks for the link. Will have a looksie.

Originally Posted by edDV View Post

I'm still using Pinnacle..which I know most hate it. What software would work best then? My current pc is the old Pentium dual core..1GB RAM, graphics however is GeForce GTX260... HDD is 300GB space.

Planning on getting a new LED LCD tv...HD definitely. What kind of TV is recommended to display the qualities of the camcorder? (Edited and raw?)
    You will probably need to upgrade your computer for a faster CPU. AVCHD needs minimum Core2 quad core per Pinnacle. Your display card is fine for h.264 playback.

HDTV sets have decreased in price and LED backlight or plasma are better for picture quality. Brands vary by budget. Normally premium price Samsung or Sony are among the top LED/LCD performers or Panasonic for plasma. At the low price end, you need to seek reviews and user experience.

Discount store models usually use older technology. Better to target mid range models for best value.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. I use a digital camera & they have save to SD card & also do HD & also have HDMI out. I just got a Samsung TL210 & it can record 70 min of HD on a 16 gig card. It records in Youtube format so no conversion is needed.

Or you can get 3D:
    Panasonic HDC-SD800K HD camcorder from Amazon.com.Simply enter 3J552T3W in the promotional claim code field during checkout, and we'll deduct $200 from the current Amazon.com price. See complete terms and conditions.
    Product Features and Technical Details
    Product Features
    Advanced 3MOS sensor system
    HYBRID O.I.S image stabilization
    2D & 3D video capture capability
    SDXC/SDHC/SD Memory Card Recording
    Technical Details
    Brand Name: Panasonic
    Model: HDC-SD800K
    Media Type: Flash card
    Lens Type: Zoom lens
    Optical zoom: 12 x