VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Usually when I am playing a DVD in my PC, the player enables me to see whether that DVD has subtitles and/or subtitles for Deaf and Hearing impaired. I purchased from Amazon a documentary NTSC DVD, and when I am playing it in my PC I see that it has no subtitles, however it has English subtitles for Deaf and Hearing impaired, which I can see (when playin that DVD in my PC). However, when I am playing that DVD with my standalone DVD, I see there no option to select subtitles for Deaf and Hearing impaired. Hence, I thought to extract the said subtitles (for Deaf and Hearing impaired) with SubRip, however SubRip did find no subtitles. Finally, I have managed to extract the said English subtitles for Deaf and Hearing impaired with CCExtract, however - I don't know why - almost each sentence spoken in the movie appears in the srt in several lines. For example:

00:00:38,639 --> 00:00:40,138
    WEHRMACHT, BRINGING HOME THE
    HORRORS OF WAR TO THE GERMAN

00:00:40,173 --> 00:00:41,539
    HORRORS OF WAR TO THE GERMAN
    PEOPLE AS THEY HAVE NEVER

00:00:41,541 --> 00:00:41,572

00:00:41,574 --> 00:00:48,713
    EXPERIENCED IT BEFORE.

00:00:48,715 --> 00:00:48,746
    EXPERIENCED IT BEFORE.

00:00:48,748 --> 00:00:50,648
    EXPERIENCED IT BEFORE.
    THIS WAS THE ALLIED

I applied to the author of CCExtract, however, so fare I got no answer.

Could somebody suggest som other way to extract the said subtitles ?

Thanks in advance
    stibi
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi hech54 and many thanks,

I went through (for the time being only once) all the correspondence discribed on the link mentioned by you an I will try first the way discribed by hanyj.

I will, of course, inform you how it went.

Thanks again
    stibi
    Quote Quote  
  3. These are NOT subtitles, they are Closed Captions. Very similar in terms of visible output, but handled and stored Completely Different.

Have not seen the problem you describe, however Subtitle Workshop may be able to correct the SRT files you have now. Take note of the false synch issues I described at the end of the linked thread, but that should not be a problem in this case.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi hech54 and Nelson37,

Thanks for trying to help.
    I have tried the system described by hanyj (namely using VobSub Ripper), however at the end of the process I got a cc.raw file of 1,144 kb and not an srt or sub file. To make sure I acted properly, I have tried to extract with VobSub Ripper the subtitles of a DVD movie that has "normal" subtitles - i.e. not subtitles for deaf - and this time I have got an idx file + an srt file. I opened a new folder, copied into it the said srt and idx file plus the same movie in AVI format, I named each of those 3 files with exactly the same name, except for the extention, and when I played the said avi file I saw it with the subtitles (properly sychronised). I am describing all this just in order to show that Vob Sub Ripper didn't find the subtitles for deaf not because I acted wrong. In other words, it seems to me, that - just like SubRip - SubRipper is unable to find subtitles for Deafs (which some, including Nelson37, call "closed captions").

Nelson37: as to your suggestion, namely using Subtitle Workshop for correcting the subtitles I extracted with CCExtractor: It's a tremendous job! That's why I am looking for some other system. Do you thing with your ATI2SRT it would be eally easear?

Thanks again
    stibi

Quote Quote  
  5. That cc.raw file is what you are SUPPOSED to get. It is a Closed Caption file, NOT a subtitle file. Standard subtitle programs WILL NOT WORK on closed captions because, as I said and will repeat, they are stored and handled COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY. If you continue to try and treat them as standard subtitles, you will not gain success.

"SOME" do not call them this, EVERYONE calls them this because that is what they ARE.

If you check McPoodle's site, there is a conversion tool to take the .raw file to a standard .srt file.

IIRC, Subtitle Workshop has a utility to remove duplicate lines. Not sure as it has been a long time since I used this.

The ATI text files are a completely different format, I ended up working with these mainly because it did not require a second pass to capture.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These look like roll-up closed captions of some kind. Click on the CCExtractor GUI "Decoder" tab. There are two options for roll-up closed captions there. The second one ("don't duplicate lines") may do the job. Choose an .srt file for output. Use Subtitle Workshop to correct any minor errors.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Many thanks for your prompt and very useful response.

Well, it seems that the sellection of the "don't duplicate lines" in CCExtractor's "Decoder" tab indeed solved the double-lines problem.

The only new problem is, that some of the subtitles remain open for a too long period (though - from what i have seen so far - they don't overleap the next subtitle). Anyway, I know how to correct it with Subtitle Workshop, unless you know about some automatical repair in Subtitle Workshop similar to the "don't duplicate lines" option of CCExtractor.
    Thanks again
    stibi
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson 37,

I suppose you saw ussualy_quite's note about the solution of the problem of duplicate subtitles as well as my answer to the said ussualy_quite's note.

Notwithstanding, I would still like to find the tool that can convert the .raw file to a standard .srt file mentioned by you, however I didn't find it in McPoodle's site. Could you, please, send me a proper link for downloading it?

As to my saying that some call the subtitles for deaf "closed captions": Being a layman - who saw in various audio players only the terms "subtitles" and "subtitless for deaf and hearing impaired" - until your explanation I thought that "closed captions" is simply another term for subtitless for deaf and hearing impaired.

Thanks again
    stibi
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stibi View Post
    The only new problem is, that some of the subtitles remain open for a too long period (though - from what i have seen so far - they don't overleap the next subtitle). Anyway, I know how to correct it with Subtitle Workshop, unless you know about some automatical repair in Subtitle Workshop similar to the "don't duplicate lines" option of CCExtractor.
    Thanks again
    stibi
    They remain open because closed captions need to be told when to quit displaying.

Use McPoodle's CCASDI.EXE program to create a human readable text file. Go through the text file and locate long periods of no new captions. About 3 or 4 seconds after the caption has displayed, add the following:

01:59:59;25 {EDM}{EDM}

Of course, the "time" will be the displayed time plus the extra time and is displayed in HH:MM:SS;FF format. Read McPoodle's info to learn more about closed captions. The {EDM}{EDM} tells the decoded to Erase the Display Memory.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm pretty sure it was Raw2SCC, I've not used this in several years now but if you still don't find it, post back and I'll dig it up.

Pretty sure there is a max duration limit in Subtitle Workshop, this is a common problem with Closed Captions.

Also lots of spelling errors and missing words/phrases, I used to run them through the spell-check in Word.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson37 & SLK001,

Thanks for trying to help.

I have downloaded the whole package of SCC_TOOLS.ZIP, unzipped it and double-clicked on raw2scc.exe.
    I saw the oppening of some black empty window which disappeared within no time, so that I was unable to see the headline of it. At first I looked for it in the taskbar, however there was no sign of it there. To be on the safe side I have pressed Alt-Control-Delete, however I saw there no opened program. Exactly the same happened when I double-clicked on ccasdi.exe.

I thought, perhaps something is wrong with that package of SCC tools, so I downloaded the ccasdi.exe only, however the results where exactly the same.

Any suggestions? Thnks in advance
    stibi
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yeah, that's what they do. These are simple, command-line tools with no GUI. You have to check the Readme file, there is a bit about adding "FFFF" to the beginning of the Raw file that may, or may not, be necessary. I ended up making a batch file and doing a binary copy to automate this.

My closed caption work was all with captured content, lots of spelling errors and missing pieces, timing conflicts, etc. At first I attributed this to the conversion routine and ended up going to the ATI text file, until I realized this is normal for broadcast captions. Pulling them off a disk should give a much more reliable file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson37,

Well, that's too complicated for me.

I guess I must give up trying to convert raw file into srt

Thanks anyway for tring to help

stibi
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If this is what is keeping you from getting things done, try using VSRip on your .vobs. This program will convert the cc's to .srt files directly.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been converting closed captions from DVDs (made by a DVD recorder) to subtitles for years. IMO working with raw closed caption files is a waste of time if all that is wanted are subtitles based on closed captions.

After I copy the DVD to a hard drive, I use VOB2MPG to join the VOBs to create an .mpg file of the movie. The .mpg file still includes closed captions. I use CCExtractor GUI's "Autodetect correct format" (on the Input options tab) instead of selecting the the input type. CCExtractor GUI is able to export .srt files directly (one of its options on the Output tab). I do most corrections to the .srt file in Subtitle Workshop, including timing. Special characters (such as musical notes and copyright symbols) can be added in Subtitle Creator before exporting to .sup format to add to the DVD as a subtitle.

Yes, creating subtitles from closed captions is a lot of work, but the only way I have heard of to avoid this is if the appropriate subtitles have been made available online.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi SLK001,

Thanks for trying to help me, however I didn't succeed. I acted exactly as the VobSub subtitle ripper required, but on the end of the whole process I got an idx of 1.58 KB+ an empty (0) sub file. I assumed, therefore, that I got no subtitles, however, just to be sure it wouldn't work I opened a folder, drew into it the said idx & sub files + the relevant AVI movie, named all the said 3 file with the same name (except for the extention), but nothing happened.
    Moreover, I found a link http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ccguide.htm with detailed instructions for "Converting Closed Captioning to Scenarist Subtitles" and saw that I acted exactly as required.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance
    stibi
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ussually-quiet,

I created an mpg exactly as adviced by you, used CCExtractor GUI's "Autodetect correct format" (on the Input options tab) instead of selecting the the input type and exported with CCExtractor GUI subtitle files directly. I got a very-very bad sub file: no subtitles at all for the (about) first 10 minutes, and even when they started their synchronization was very-very bad & there where many double lines (I know how to delete double lines, however in this case it's useless because of the other defects I mentioned).

As to your advice - trying to find subtitles on the web: I did it before I started to look for other solutions, however I didn't find.

Thanks anyway for trying to help.

stibi
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stibi View Post
    Hi SLK001,

Thanks for trying to help me, however I didn't succeed. I acted exactly as the VobSub subtitle ripper required, but on the end of the whole process I got an idx of 1.58 KB+ an empty (0) sub file. I assumed, therefore, that I got no subtitles, however, just to be sure it wouldn't work I opened a folder, drew into it the said idx & sub files + the relevant AVI movie, named all the said 3 file with the same name (except for the extention), but nothing happened.
    Moreover, I found a link http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ccguide.htm with detailed instructions for "Converting Closed Captioning to Scenarist Subtitles" and saw that I acted exactly as required.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance
    stibi
    Not the program VOBSUB, but the program VSRIP. Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/files/VSRip/
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi SLK001 and thanks,

Well, I opened the VSRIP, loaded the relevant IFO file, selected the folder where to save and clicke on "Next", then - in the next window (I saw there checked the "Extract closed caption" and Reset time) I clicked on next. I waited untill the process was finished ( I saw there wtritten "Done!") and clicked on "Close". I went to the folder in which I selected to save and I found there a file VTS_01_0.cc.raw (of 1.11 MB). What am I supposed to do with that file?

Thanks again
    stibi

PS. I have got a mail from Carlos Fernandez: "CCextractor emulates what a real decoder would do. If played with a
    .srt enabled player, the srt below would be correct. You don't have to delete anything".
    Thats what I did, and I got an srt file. To my surprise, when I played it with KM player I saw the movie with the relevant subtitles synchronized. I think its great anyway, though I don't know yet what will happen after burning the said folder with the srt as a DVD
    Thanks again
    stibi
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Deleted. Never mind. I missed the PS in the reply to SLK001.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Jul 2011 at 19:34.
    Quote Quote