VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone. I am in the process of converting my VHS and Hi8 tapes to digital format (and hopefully later to DVD). I'm having a really having a hard time getting decent results. I have used DV Capture Live, which may not be the best, but I am hesitant to spend lots of money on other options because I really don't know much about the video transfer process to make an informed decision.

For my Hi8 tapes I have been using my Sony TRV-120 set to AV>DV output via Firewire, but there are lots of jagged edges, and some of the audio ends up out-of-sync with the video. The picture quality of the converted video always looks murky. When watched on a TV, the original tapes look much, much better than the archived AVI files and the sound is in sync with the video.

I have been spending far too many hours getting nowhere with my VHS/Hi8 archiving. I am hoping that a VHF member can recommend a beginner's approach to archiving VHS/Hi8 videos into digital format with pretty decent results.

Thanks,
    ~Dom
    Quote Quote  
  2. The jagged edges are normal. Your sources are interlaced video and you're viewing them on a progressive monitor. Ie, each frame of your source contains two half pictures taken at two different times. You're supposed to see only one of those half pictures at a time, but you're seeing both. That isn't a problem if you're making DVDs. DVDs and TVs know how to deal with interlaced video.

Regarding the washed out colors: you probably just need to adjust your video proc amp settings in your graphics card's setup applet.

Try capturing a short segment that normally looks good on TV. Make a DVD from that segment. Then compare the DVD display to the original tape. It should look pretty much the same.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply jagabo. I will try making some comparison DVD's soon. What about the out-of-sync audio? Does this have anything to do with capturing the video in DV AVI, Type 2 file format? The program I am currently using has three choices for capture:
    • DV AVI - Type 1 and Type 2 (*.avi)
    • AVI - Audio-Video Interleve (*.avi), and
    • ASF - Advanced Systems Format (*.wmv)
    ~Dom
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DV or lossless compression is generally recommended for analog capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your TRV-120 is a Digital8 camcorder capable of conversion of Hi8 tape to DV format for streaming over IEEE-1394.

Try free WinTV for DV format capture. It will make a bit for bit 480i DV-AVI capture. You will then need to edit and encode for 480i MPeg2 DVD.

I suspect "DV capture Live" is the cause of your problems. It attempts to reconpress during capture.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edDV, do you have a link for downloading WinTV? I did a Google search but can only find a website with Happpauge hardware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Obtong View Post
    edDV, do you have a link for downloading WinTV? I did a Google search but can only find a website with Happpauge hardware.
    I'm sorry. Was typing too fast. WinDV.

http://windv.mourek.cz/ (home site)

A good tutorial
    http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/PapaJohn/61/WinDV.aspx
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. WinDV or DVIO. Both are suitable for DV capture.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WinDV kept on freezing so I tried DVIO. The video tranfer worked well, but I still had audio sync problems. I tried capturing in DV AVI Type 1 format, and the audio is now synced! Yeah!

BTW, is audio on VHS recordeings saved quite differently than on miniDV recordings? None on my VHS transfers (using pass through AV>DV, Type 2) had any kind of audio sync problem.

~Dom
    Last edited by Obtong; 10th Jul 2011 at 23:26.
    Quote Quote