VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any recommendations? Mine seems to be dying.

I believe I have an IDE drive in a 1,1 Mac pro

Here is my info

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
    Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D:

Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D
    Revision: AC08
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    Low Power Polling: Yes
    Power Off: No
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LG IDE model GH22NP21, $20.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136222

SamSung IDE model SH-S2222, $20.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175

Don't buy a Pioneer IDE drive.....they're crappy and they no longer use NEC chipsets in their dvd burners.
    I'd personally go with the LG ide drive. Just my 2 cents!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz View Post

Don't buy a Pioneer IDE drive.....they're crappy and they no longer use NEC chipsets in their dvd burners.
    I've heard the new Pioneers aren't that good now. These drives above are the same price. Is one better than the other?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post

I've heard the new Pioneers aren't that good now. These drives above are the same price. Is one better than the other?
    Doh. Didn't see the I'd go with the LG part, lol.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LG is garbage.
    Easily one of the worst drives out there. Poor burning, media compatibility and playback.

Get a Samsung, Pioneer, or Sony.

You might want to read this: The best and worst DVD burners: 2011 DVD Burner Reviews
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    LG is garbage.
    Easily one of the worst drives out there. Poor burning, media compatibility and playback.

You might want to read this: The best and worst DVD burners: 2011 DVD Burner Reviews
    So according to this page, both Pioneer chipsets are fine then? or would SOny or Samsung be a better choice out of those 3?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    LG is garbage.

So according to this page, both Pioneer chipsets are fine then? or would SOny or Samsung be a better choice out of those 3?
    You have a IDE dvd burner.....I wouldn't suggest any PIONEER drive.....PIONEER changed their chipsets to MEDIATEK which LITEON drives use....I've been a DVD WHORE just take a look at my profile.....you can also ask at http://club.myce.com/ about the PIONEER drives.....

LG isn't garbage.....I've got LG drives & haven't had one crap out on me yet....LS has been called on the spot with the newer PIONEER drives....another member pointed out the same thing I said about PIONEER using a different chipset.....I'm lazy so you can google in here under the dvd drive forum section for the thread.......you have a IDE drive so there are only so many brands that still make IDE......SATA dvd burners are another story with more of a variety to choose from.....I've used LG IDE drives in friends/family pc's for replacement drives with no issues what so ever.....Go to myce.com and take a look at the dvd burner forums....just my 2 freaking cents!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably going to split the difference and go with the Samsung since you both seem to agree on that one
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably going to split the difference and go with the Samsung since you both seem to agree on that one
    Ummm......I suggested the Samsung because that's all Newegg had for IDE drives.....If it was me I'd take the LG IDE drive in a heart beat!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ummm......I suggested the Samsung because that's all Newegg had for IDE drives.....If it was me I'd take the LG IDE drive in a heart beat!
    OK, sorry for my misunderstanding. You seem to love the LG while Lordsmurf seems to hate them, which leads me to believe they are probably somewhere in between. Are the Samsungs no good?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^^Don't believe everything LS tells you.....Last Samsung I bought was like 3yrs ago....then their drives IMHO went a bit sour after that....buy whatcha want....do some reading at the the old cdfreaks.com site which is now called myce.com.....i used to buy every brand new dvd burner that came out....but that stopped long ago after brands began outsourcing to other companies thus the rebadging of drives began.....BENQ sold their optical drive division to LITEON......SONY sold theirs to NEC.....LG & LITEON are the only one's that still manufacture their own drives....Dunno if SAMSUNG still manufactures their own or if they sold out to LITEON....ASUS & PLEXTOR use rebadged drives....LITEON makes their drives and just slap on the ASUS & PLEXTOR names on it.....PIONEER manufactures their own drives but they use MEDIATEK chipset which the drives are crappy as hell......

http://club.myce.com/f91/

http://club.myce.com/f105/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let's go over this one more time...

There's no proof that Mediatek has made Pioneer worse. From what I can see online, that rumor can be traced back as nothing more than the maniacal ramblings of a few users at Myce. Pioneer had a few drives with less-than-perfect burning (still better than competitors of the era, however) back during the NEC chipsets. How quickly people forget. (Or in some cases, never knew, being new to the DVD burning world.)

Sony + NEC = Optiarc
    Pioneer = Pioneer
    Toshiba + Samsung = TSST
    Hitachi + LG = HL-DT-ST (the "HL" is Hitachi/LG, as in Hitachi-LG Data Storage)
    Plextor = x (gone)
    BTC = x (gone)
    BenQ = Acer + Philips ==> sold to LiteOn
    Asus was always just a brand name

LG and Panasonic/Matshita/Matsushita drives are infamous for burning like shit and failing. Google "Mac" plus any HL-DT-ST model number, and you'll have page after page of complaints. LG drives make for nice paperweights. At one point in time, I literally used two LG drives as doorstops. It was all they were good at.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 6th Jul 2011 at 02:26.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blah blah blah.....LS....that's why they didn't care for you over at myce.com........nuff said.......
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems that old drive had some life in it yet (Still does)

I got myself a Blu-ray player finally (Oppo BDP-93) and now I am thinking of getting a Blu-ray burner for my mac instead.

Which one would you guys recommend? Do they still do dual layer DVDs, regular DVDs and CDs?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    now I am thinking of getting a Blu-ray burner for my mac.
    Which one would you guys recommend? Do they still do dual layer DVDs, regular DVDs and CDs?
    LG or Pioneer, according to this forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2652810

BD burners also do DVD and CD.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I bought an LG burner GSA-H55N and it would power up but it would not communicate with Toast. Newegg sent me out another one and that also would not work. I ended up getting a Pioneer and all was well.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Bought this one on ebay new for £17, works fine:
    Samsung 22X Internal SATA DVD±RW DL Lightscribe Drive/Writer, SH-222AL
    Quote Quote