VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Thread
  1. Hi,

    Does anyone know why movies would load slow in IE but not in Firefox on Mac and PC and on Safari? For example, I am trying to play this movie. It takes maybe 10-15sec to start playing in Safari and Firefox, it takes about 2-3min to start in IE (tested 8 and 9). I tried different computers and sometimes IE will launch an external player and on another computer it will try to play in the browser. In the browser it is very slow and there is nothing happening while you wait for the movie to load so you might think that it's not working but after 2-3 min it will play. Anyone has any idea what causes this behavior? I would appreciate any help.

    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarsierspectral View Post
    Hi,

    Does anyone know why movies would load slow in IE but not in Firefox on Mac and PC and on Safari? For example, I am trying to play this movie. It takes maybe 10-15sec to start playing in Safari and Firefox, it takes about 2-3min to start in IE (tested 8 and 9). I tried different computers and sometimes IE will launch an external player and on another computer it will try to play in the browser. In the browser it is very slow and there is nothing happening while you wait for the movie to load so you might think that it's not working but after 2-3 min it will play. Anyone has any idea what causes this behavior? I would appreciate any help.

    Thanks
    Probably related to your installation of Quicktime for Windows. I tried to compare IE9 to current Firefox to current Safari all on the same Win7 PC. Firefox took about 30 seconds to play. IE and Safari never opened the mp4 Quicktime file.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by tarsierspectral View Post
    Hi,

    Does anyone know why movies would load slow in IE but not in Firefox on Mac and PC and on Safari? For example, I am trying to play this movie. It takes maybe 10-15sec to start playing in Safari and Firefox, it takes about 2-3min to start in IE (tested 8 and 9). I tried different computers and sometimes IE will launch an external player and on another computer it will try to play in the browser. In the browser it is very slow and there is nothing happening while you wait for the movie to load so you might think that it's not working but after 2-3 min it will play. Anyone has any idea what causes this behavior? I would appreciate any help.

    Thanks
    Probably related to your installation of Quicktime for Windows. I tried to compare IE9 to current Firefox to current Safari all on the same Win7 PC. Firefox took about 30 seconds to play. IE and Safari never opened the mp4 Quicktime file.
    hmm, but why would it universally be slow on all computers in IE? On some computers IE will launch Windows Media Player and play the file just fine. This is just H.264 mp4 file, why do you consider it to be Quicktime mp4?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarsierspectral View Post
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by tarsierspectral View Post
    Hi,

    Does anyone know why movies would load slow in IE but not in Firefox on Mac and PC and on Safari? For example, I am trying to play this movie. It takes maybe 10-15sec to start playing in Safari and Firefox, it takes about 2-3min to start in IE (tested 8 and 9). I tried different computers and sometimes IE will launch an external player and on another computer it will try to play in the browser. In the browser it is very slow and there is nothing happening while you wait for the movie to load so you might think that it's not working but after 2-3 min it will play. Anyone has any idea what causes this behavior? I would appreciate any help.

    Thanks
    Probably related to your installation of Quicktime for Windows. I tried to compare IE9 to current Firefox to current Safari all on the same Win7 PC. Firefox took about 30 seconds to play. IE and Safari never opened the mp4 Quicktime file.
    hmm, but why would it universally be slow on all computers in IE? On some computers IE will launch Windows Media Player and play the file just fine. This is just H.264 mp4 file, why do you consider it to be Quicktime mp4?
    Well, Firefox launched the Quicktime viewer. The "free" Quicktime viewer doesn't identify the codec. It buffered like a Quicktime file.

    Do you know the codec used?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by eddv View Post
    Originally Posted by tarsierspectral View Post
    Originally Posted by eddv View Post
    Originally Posted by tarsierspectral View Post
    hi,

    does anyone know why movies would load slow in ie but not in firefox on mac and pc and on safari? For example, i am trying to play this movie. It takes maybe 10-15sec to start playing in safari and firefox, it takes about 2-3min to start in ie (tested 8 and 9). I tried different computers and sometimes ie will launch an external player and on another computer it will try to play in the browser. In the browser it is very slow and there is nothing happening while you wait for the movie to load so you might think that it's not working but after 2-3 min it will play. Anyone has any idea what causes this behavior? I would appreciate any help.

    Thanks
    probably related to your installation of quicktime for windows. I tried to compare ie9 to current firefox to current safari all on the same win7 pc. Firefox took about 30 seconds to play. Ie and safari never opened the mp4 quicktime file.
    hmm, but why would it universally be slow on all computers in ie? On some computers ie will launch windows media player and play the file just fine. This is just h.264 mp4 file, why do you consider it to be quicktime mp4?
    well, firefox launched the quicktime viewer. The "free" quicktime viewer doesn't identify the codec. It buffered like a quicktime file.

    Do you know the codec used?
    h264.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    Are you the author of this site?

    If so, the player associated with *.mp4 depends on user settings in the browser. Most have no default for *.mp4 so it usually comes down to the last player plug-in loaded unless the user edits associations.

    I'm still wondering why Safari wouldn't play it.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member edDV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern California, USA
    Search Comp PM
    I did a "save link as" and downloaded the full file. Mediainfo shows

    General
    Complete name : D:\03022011_Appadurai.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 431 MiB
    Duration : 1h 17mn
    Overall bit rate : 782 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:57:22
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:57:38

    Video
    ID : 2
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 1h 17mn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 605 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 360 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.088
    Stream size : 333 MiB (77%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:56:58
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:57:38
    Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

    Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 1h 17mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 51.9 MiB (12%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:56:58
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:57:38

    Others may have opinions on browser players.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Are you the author of this site?

    If so, the player associated with *.mp4 depends on user settings in the browser. Most have no default for *.mp4 so it usually comes down to the last player plug-in loaded unless the user edits associations.

    I'm still wondering why Safari wouldn't play it.
    Every Safari I tried it on plays the file fine. I am not the author of the site. I did make the video though.
    So the question still remains why is it slow in one browser and not the others?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    I did a "save link as" and downloaded the full file. Mediainfo shows

    General
    Complete name : D:\03022011_Appadurai.mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID : mp42
    File size : 431 MiB
    Duration : 1h 17mn
    Overall bit rate : 782 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:57:22
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:57:38

    Video
    ID : 2
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 1h 17mn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 605 Kbps
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 360 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.088
    Stream size : 333 MiB (77%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:56:58
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:57:38
    Color primaries : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

    Audio
    ID : 1
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 1h 17mn
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 51.9 MiB (12%)
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:56:58
    Tagged date : UTC 2011-03-05 20:57:38

    Others may have opinions on browser players.
    So should this play in any player/browser? Looks pretty "standard" to me
    Quote Quote  
  10. You would have more control if you or the webmaster embedded a flash plyer in an html page - it would play on virtually any platform or browser immediately, instead of acting inconsistently on differently configured systems

    (very old systems, that can't handle youtube, or flash player 9+ won't be able to play it)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You would have more control if you or the webmaster embedded a flash plyer in an html page - it would play on virtually any platform or browser immediately, instead of acting inconsistently on differently configured systems

    (very old systems, that can't handle youtube, or flash player 9+ won't be able to play it)
    Thanks. Where can I get the flash player to embed? Can I have 1 player for multiple videos? Or do I have to have a separate player for each? Will an iPad be able to play the videos in that case?
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads