VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I am preparing to back up and restore all the home videos that my grandparents took of my family, my great grandparents and all my relatives. Probably 40-50 in total. I want to do a good job. Of course my will have seen a few of my other threads. This site is an incredible resource for learning how to restore video and undertake a project such as this. I have the following equipment for the job:

Panasonic AG-1970P S-VHS player, Cypress CTB-100 separate Time Base Corrector, ATI TV Wonder 650 and Monster Cable S-Video cables to connect it all.

I was sure that this would be the extent of my hardware work and I would spend a bit of time restoring video by running virtualdub filters and restoring with software methods. However I have become aware of other tools that can do a great job in restoring video with hardware, the external Proc Amps and Detailers that can apparently do a great job in improving the quality of the capture.

I had not planned to spend more money until I saw a Vidicraft Vidimate VDM-300S on eBay for $45. For that price, knowing what I have read about it, I figured I should buy it and try it out. As has been said elsewhere, this unit is the ONLY Vidicraft product to contain S-Video inputs and outputs. Not only that, but it combines the detailer functions with its Proc Amp color correction controls.

I want to know what you think about the role of a Detailer and Proc Amp in capturing VHS video? What can you tell me about this specific product, the Vidimate VDM-300S? Did I make a good choice in buying it for the price I paid?

What really sold me is the fact that Vidicraft has a good reputation and I wanted to keep everything connected with S-Video rather than downgrade to composite for one unit. If I'm not mistaken, other than this unit, if I wanted a Detailer that handled S-Video, I'd have to opt for the much more expensive SignVideo units that cost hundreds of dollars.

Could someone enlighten me as to how this unit operates, what it does and how it compares to more expensive and more recent Proc Amps and Detailers? Also, how does it compare to other Vidicraft units?

Lastly, with such a unit and the other hardware I have, does this allow for significantly less software filtering given that I can do color correction and sharpness and so forth with hardware?

Please respond because I don't know of any other place to ask questions about this product and the proper role of a Proc Amp and Detailer in a project such as this.

Thanks a lot for sharing your wisdom and experience with newbies such as myself. It is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 17:39.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Thanks for that. Do you think that I would need a manual or would the operations of this device be fairly self explanatory?

Do you have any thoughts on this product? Did I make the right decision in buying it? Do you think it will make a big difference on my project? And finally, do you think with such a device, I will be able to do much less software filtering due to the hardware filtering?

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Thanks for that. Do you think that I would need a manual or would the operations of this device be fairly self explanatory?
    You need the manual.

Do you have any thoughts on this product?
    A well-regarded unit still used and sought by many hobbyists and advanced owners, assuming it's in satisfactory working order.

Did I make the right decision in buying it?
    No one here can answer that question. We don't know what your sources or captures look like. A proc amp is basically useful for correcting black levels and white levels during recording, and is helpful for initial correction of obvious color imbalances. If these were your reasons for using a proc amp, it can help with those problems at the capture stage. Most proc amps do not reduce noise.

Do you think it will make a big difference on my project?
    Same answer.

And finally, do you think with such a device, I will be able to do much less software filtering due to the hardware filtering?
    Same answer. All sources differ.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I certainly wouldn't pay someone $27.50 for a manual which he admits he received as a PDF. Its out there somewhere. Proc-amps are fairly easy to figure out anyway. The BVP4+ is the exception, some of the controls are non-standard.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    I certainly wouldn't pay someone $27.50 for a manual which he admits he received as a PDF. Its out there somewhere.
    I found it in 4 listings on the 'net. All $27.50. None printed. Maybe a print copy will show up somewhere.

Proc-amps are fairly easy to figure out anyway.
    From what the OP is asking, it's not so intuitive for many users.

The BVP4+ is the exception, some of the controls are non-standard.
    Don't forget the section in the BVP4+ manual that discusses the purpose and effects of changing some of the jumper switches on the circuit board, and an internal rheostat adjustment for underscan/overscan and other occasional problems.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 20th Mar 2014 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote