VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I was just wondering if the Bluray discs have been developed well enough to have the same amount of lifetime expectancy as Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's or are they a lot weaker with a short lifetime expectancy?

I just remember someone telling me to stay clear of these Blu ray discs and was wondering if this is still the case? Or maybe things have improved a bit now?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Like with all DVD DL media, the honest truth is that we don't have enough evidence yet on BluRay discs to really know how long they will last. I'd recommend sticking to Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden BluRay discs if you want to go that route. Note that Taiyo Yuden only makes the LTH type of BluRay disc which some older players cannot play. However, I've been using them and the quality seems really good on them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The reason I switched to BD-25 media for back up storage was the cost.

Recent prices from Rima.com of the two types of media I most commonly use:

Verbatim DVD+R 8.5GB, Dual Layer, Branded, 10-Pack (95166)_____$16US: Cost per GB $0.19
    Verbatim Blu-Ray BD-R 25GB 4X Branded, 10-Pack (96769)________$19US: Cost per GB $0.08

The BDs are less than half the cost of DLs per GB of storage for the media listed above.

For DVD-5, I still use Taiyo Yuden silver tops. No coasters with any of the above media using several different burners and ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote