VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could someone suggest a BR player with these specs for under $200?

Also, the built-in Netflix app is important to me, or I should say its interface. Ive come across some Netflix apps where you cant do a Search within the app, but, have to login to your acct via computer. I dont want that.
    Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You should probably explain exactly what you want to use the WiFi for. The more details the better.

Two posts in almost 9 years of being here - been busy making cereal most of the time? Been fighting with Quake?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol, not Quake, that bastid King Vitamin!

I just wanted built in wifi for the Netflix is all. Just dont want to buy an adapter. I also need (or my GF needs) a DVD player, otherwise I would likely have just gotten a Roku. I have lots of BR movies so, thats my deal
    Quote Quote  
  4. Honestly, the best one is the PS3, you can get it refurbished for around $230 at Gamestop or Microcenter. It's more than $200 but it has the best Netflix interface of all devices other than the PC and includes Wifi and well PS3 game support obviously.

Otherwise all of the Netflix apps for Blu-Ray players are like what you have experienced.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Just wanted to be sure that your plan wasn't something like "I want to be able to stream 1080p MKV files from my PC and play them on the BluRay player".

Unfortunately I do not have a BluRay player that can access Netflix so I can't test this, but I found this post on another forum which might be just what you are looking for:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1296281

Damn that King Vitamin! I say damn him!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Lg bd670, $170 at Amazon.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I second CaptainVideo on the PS3 choice. I was looking for the same thing - wireless, Blu-Ray, Netflix, etc. at a low price point. I was actually looking for something else to replace my PS3 (for reasons I will go into), but PS3 was still the best option and its Netflix interface has the best search capability and layout that I've seen. Other BD players' Netflix programs can be pretty bare bones, even when priced similar to the PS3.

Other nice things about a PS3 - obviously you can get into the gaming aspect, even if it's just downloading free demos from the Playstation store; frequent firmware upgrades that improve system capabilites; you can add it to your home computer network to use shared media such as mp3s, photos and more.

One warning however - and it CAN be a big one - the "Yellow Light of Death" issue is something that myself and several friends have all experienced. Basically, the unit overheats, does some internal damage to the machine and it won't allow you to start back up, sometimes even shortly after repairs have been made. This mostly applies to the older hardware design of PS3 which ran pretty hot. I had my 2006 launch model PS3 for years before it happened, but now I'm still having problems. As far as I know, the new slim PS3 has addressed these issues, but I'd advise doing a bit of research to make sure - especially if going for a "fat" model refurb. That said, I love the PS3 for Blu-Ray and Netflix and perhaps a newer, slim model refurb would be the best way to get what you want for not too much above $225. That's probably what I will do if I can't get my launch model working again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to advocate a wired Ethernet if at all possible for solid performance.

User interfaces (for Netflix) do vary in design brand to brand. If possible find a retailer that can demo LG vs Samsung vs Sony vs Vizio while internet connected.

These interfaces do evolve as well with firmware updates. My Sony BDP-BX37 now has "new arrivals", "category suggestions" and "Search". For example when I searched "gun" back came 73 suggestions from Gunsmoke to Anime.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote