VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, my names Jerome. This is my first time posting to this forum. I have done some video editing in the past using Premiere and final cut. But I have never taken old footage, cleaned it up, and burned it to a dvd. Here's my problem. My grandfather has all theses old VHS tapes from the Grandchildren's younger days ('81-'85). Knowing that over time VHS tapes will degrade I took it upon myself to convert all of the tapes to a digital format. Some of the footage is fine, however a lot of them have that green degraded hue to them. Is there a filter though AVS that i can use to clean that up? Also I'm uploading a piece of a clip, is there anything I can do to just sharpen the image, get rid of the lines, and eliminate some of the borders on the left, right, top, and bottom? Could someone please take a look at this and advise me on what to do? Also, if possible could you tell me the filters to run/use, and maybe a sample script file? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh....I already have Swift AVS, and VirtualDubMod installed

Thanks,
    Jerome
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps try a different VCR. There is excessive side to side shaking of the picture.
    It's possible a time base corrector may help, but that shaking is severe.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How serious are you? How much do you want to spend? Quality starts with an S-VHS deck with a line time base corrector. That will cost you about $200 to $300 on ebay. That will straighten up all the vertical lines. You can't do that in software.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Jun 2011 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the responses. I thought it may have something to do with the tape deck. Quality in, quality out I guess. I'll keep my eyes open for a Deck with a line time base corrector
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can still fix the brightness, contrast, and colors. VirtualDub is probably easiest for you to work with. Use the Levels controls to adjust the black and white levels and gamma. Then use HSV to bump up the saturation.
    Quote Quote