VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If my videos are short enough to fit into an AVCHD disc without re-encoding, aside from slightly better compatibility with some ancient Blu-ray standalone players, what advantages would there be to burning an actual Blu-ray disc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Only advantage is you can fit 5 x 4.37 avchd movies on a 25gb(23.3gb) blu-ray disc.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually the advantage is you can use a much bigger bitrate in the avchd. You don't mention the source of the avchd. If this is for example a m2ts h264 recording from a hauppauge hd pvr you can use a much larger bitrate without needing to account for a dual or single layer dvdr capacity. You would still have to do any necessary conversions to make it fully bluray compatible (I don't know anything about that as I have only worked with avchd - I don't have a bluray burner so that is my next option - I do have a bdrom though).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need to do any conversions if the avchd is already compliant,just need to reauthor which i did such as putting my season 1 supernatural on blu-ray,they didn't include English subtitles on it so i had to re-encode to mkv with handbrake and use the cc as the main subs which were english.

I did this on dvd avchd before i got my blu-ray burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The source is my Sony AVCHD camcorder and it's a compliant 16mb/s 1080i AVCHD file which doesn't need any re-encoding in my authoring programs, so there wouldn't be any advantage to just adding extra bitrate to it, would there?
    Last edited by p_l; 19th Jun 2011 at 20:41.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Adding extra bitrate doesn't help at after the files are made,only when you set your camera to shoot at a higher bitrate if it allows you to do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Adding extra bitrate doesn't help at after the files are made,only when you set your camera to shoot at a higher bitrate if it allows you to do that.
    Exactly. The advantage of burning to bluray is you can set the bitrate a lot higher next time around. I don't know what the maximum would be for a single layer bd. But you wouldn't have to scrimp on bitrate if you are burning to bluray.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But I'm already shooting at the camera's maximum HD bitrate and frame size. There would be no point in re-encoding after the fact to a higher bitrate (Blu-ray's max is 40 Mb/s). You can't add quality that's not already there, right?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Right.
    Quote Quote