VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just burned two DVDs, both from the same m2v and ac3 files, but each with different menus. One a plain PSD file, the other a motion menu.

On the former, the ac3 file I used for the background music has been replaced by an awful electronic tone. It does vary in pitch, but sounds nothing like the track I originally used.

On the latter, the main timeline frequently pauses for half a second or so, then resumes, but not from where it paused, instead from where it would be had it not paused, thus skipping half-seconds here and there. It also, at one point (approximately where I put the layer break, though I can't be sure if it's the break or not), it repeats the same half-second five or six times before moving on. Then, later and definitely not the layer break, does the same thing. Except instead of moving on, it goes to the next timeline, thus skipping the remainder of the main timeline.

All I did was delete the menus and replace them with the new ones. Why on earth is this screwing up an m2v that wasn't touched and is on a timeline that wasn't touched? Could it be the disc?

TMPGEnc to produce the m2v and ac3 files (except for the menu music, which came from an mp3 file originally but was exported to ac3 when I needed to decrease the volume). Encore to put the DVD together and build an ISO. ImgBurn to burn. Verbatim inkjet printable DVD+R DL.

ETA: Just checked the ac3 file used as the menu music. It works fine in VLC. Also checked the two ISOs. The menu music is still screwed on the first disc, the second disc still diverts to the second timeline prematurely, but the first skip is gone so that looks like it might be the disc. Still no idea why the menu music doesn't work and why the second disc skips out on the end of the main timeline.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't think AC3 can be use for menus.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I used an ac3 file for the other menu, and it worked fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know anything about this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just created a test DVD with TDA (an older version) that included a motion menu. The clip I chose for the motion menu contained AC3 audio. TDA converted the audio from the background clip to LPCM audio.

I do have many newer, factory pressed DVDs that contain AC3 audio for the menu item audio....but at one time that "avoid AC3 audio for menu items" was the rule.
    Just a thought....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nah, Almost all retail DVDs use AC3 audio and every one I've ever made myself uses the same. The AC3 audio isn't the problem. However, I wonder about this:

All I did was delete the menus and replace them with the new ones.
    I'm not entirely sure what that means but if you literally deleted one and moved in another in its place, well, it doesn't work like that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what that means but if you literally deleted one and moved in another in its place, well, it doesn't work like that.
    Eh?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I do have many newer, factory pressed DVDs that contain AC3 audio for the menu item audio....but at one time that "avoid AC3 audio for menu items" was the rule.
    Just a thought....
    Where did you find such rule?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Can anyone explain that?

Or help me with this ac3 file and the timeline going to the next timeline before it finishes? I think we can safely attribute the skipping to a bad disc, since it's not present in the ISO.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Can anyone explain that?
    I didn't understand exactly how you got rid of one menu and replaced it with another. Please explain in more detail
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I deleted the menu I didn't need, then imported a new menu, set up the buttons to do what I wanted them to do, set the end action of the pre-menu timeline to go to the new menu. I don't need to do any more than that, do I?
    Quote Quote  
  12. That still doesn't explain it, though, or maybe I'm just dense. I'm assuming you created a new menu using TDA. Didn't you author a completely new DVD, also within TDA, at the same time?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As I said in the first post, I'm using Adobe Encore to make the DVDs. I'm just using TMPGEnc to convert the mp4 files to an m2v file and an ac3 file. TDA isn't involved at any point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'd have to agree with manono, it exhibits the problems a dvd has when anything is changed in the structure and it hasn't been re-authored. the nav packs are all messed up.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  15. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean 're-authored'?
    Quote Quote  
  16. And I'll retire from this since getting information out of koberulz is like pulling teeth and I have yet to hear anything to contradict my first suspicion. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The fact that I'm not using the software you thought I was using completely contradicts your suspicion. I'm not using TDA, so you're not going to get an answer that makes sense when applied to the use of TDA. I used Encore. My answer is exactly what I did in Encore. That works in Encore. In theory.

I've no idea what 're-authoring' is. I deleted the old menu. Since I already had the chapter points and whatnot set up in the main timeline, instead of just deleting that timeline, I simply linked the buttons of the new menu to the chapters of the old timeline. I then built an ISO file from Encore, and burned with ImgBurn. The skipping and whatnot is not present on the ISO file, which leads me to suspect it's a bad disc, but the timeline does cut off early, instead of playing all the way through. This makes no sense, as it still had all its behaviour set up from the previous disc, which worked fine except for the menu music.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    never used encore, but with dvdlab you "compile dvd" to complete the (re)authoring.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  19. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I just previewed in Encore and it worked fine. But when I build an ISO, it chops off the last half hour or so.

The iso is 7.07 GB, but Encore says the finished product will be 7.67 GB, so I'm not sure what the deal is there.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Did the original project work properly ? (before the menu swap) ?

Exactly how are you "checking the ISOs" ? Are you mounting them and using some software ? If so, which software ?

To clarify, you're saying the PSD menu swap version has screwed up menu music , and the motion menu swap version has a timeline issue ?

Did you re-save each project with new changes and clear your temp files before rebuilding the ISO ? Adobe has a nasty habit or mixing up temp files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Exactly how are you "checking the ISOs" ? Are you mounting them and using some software ? If so, which software ?
    Mounted with Virtual Clone Drive, played in Cyberlink PowerDVD.

To clarify, you're saying the PSD menu swap version has screwed up menu music , and the motion menu swap version has a timeline issue ?
    I created a DVD. Premenu timeline, menus, main timeline, and then another timeline at the end (copyright stuff, as with official discs and whatnot). The it worked fine, except that the menu music was screwed. I then deleted that menu, and added in the motion menu. I hooked all the buttons up to do what they were supposed to do, changed the pre-menu timeline's end action to link to the main menu (as it had been reset to 'not set' when the menu was deleted). I then built this ISO, but with about half an hour remaining in the main timeline, it goes straight to the end timeline with the copyright notice.

Did you re-save each project with new changes and clear your temp files before rebuilding the ISO ? Adobe has a nasty habit or mixing up temp files
    I closed Encore before building the most recent ISO, which still has the same problem. Other than that, I've done nothing that would affect temp files to my knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  22. If you've every visited the Adobe forums, the 1st thing they recommend for various problems is to clean the media cache . Look for a button in the options or preferences, it's called something like "clean media cache". Do this before you render any project (in any Adobe product)

Does "check for errors" list any problems ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    "Check Project" comes back fine. Tried emptying the media cache, same problem. When it's done, Encore says 7.6 of 7.6 GB written, but the ISO is still only 7.07 GB. Additionally, chapter markers aren't where I put them (though they're probably correct as far as what percentage of the timeline has gone past before they're hit, so that all the chapter points can fit in despite the timeline being a half hour short).
    Quote Quote  
  24. Not sure whats going on . I think the way you described it should work, especially if it previews ok on Encore

What version of Encore ?

You can try asking at Adobe forum
    Quote Quote  
  25. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    CS4.

Only other thing I can think of is a disc capacity issue (it should, in theory, be 7.67 GB), but if that were the case surely it'd say something, instead of chopping it to fit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    by now i would have just started a new project and been done.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  27. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Deleted the motion menu, replaced it with the still menu and had another go at burning the version the ac3 file screwed up on (except after converting the ac3 file to mp3). Worked perfectly. Put the motion menu back in, and that half hour got chopped off the end of the main timeline again.

So it's clearly the motion menu that's the problem. Though I have NFI why.

EDIT: Removed the video from the menu, left the audio in and everything else exactly the same. Worked perfectly.

So how do I have the video in the menu and the full timeline?
    Last edited by koberulz; 1st Jul 2011 at 23:43.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Retranscoded the main timeline to make it smaller, and it works now. So it was obviously over disc capacity, but instead of telling me this Encore decided to randomly delete things.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ...or not. Tried the same thing with a different main movie, first authoring a still menu followed by a motion menu, and despite the latter being 6GB it chopped off 20 minutes. Created a new project, authored it, it worked fine. I then removed the m2v and ac3 files used in the main timeline, replaced them with different files that were two minutes longer, and it had 20 minutes chopped off the end again.

Why is Encore doing this? Is there any way I can avoid setting up the same menus, pre-menu and post-movie timelines, and so on for all 14 discs and do as I did with the earlier 10-disc set: just replace the files in the main timeline and do new chapters?
    Quote Quote