VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help using AVStoDVD

I've been using AVStoDVD for the past 2 weeks to create episodic discs. I use it to put five titles (22 minute episodes) on a DVD-5 disc.
    Last night, I encountered a problem because the episodes were recorded on another DVR than the one I usually use.
    When I open the VLC media files (.mpg), I get the following message:
    MPEG2 Video stream found in VTS_01_1.mpg.
    It is strongly recommended to index it.
    Press YES to create the index and demux audio or No to use standard approach.

I tried both ways.
    I noticed the resolution is 704 x 480

My problem is this:
    The output size is HUGE so now I can't put the usual 5 episodes on a disc (DVD-5). I can only fit three 22 min. episodes on a disc.
    How do I fix it so I can put 5 episodes on a disc without losing quality?

Any suggestions? I am not good with technical jargon.
    Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Ronny G; 18th Jun 2011 at 09:31.
    Quote Quote  
  2. file size = bitrate * running time

Use a lower bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I will try lowering the bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. To fit five 22 minute episodes you'll need to use a bitrate around 4500 kpbs depending on what audio type you use. The lower the bitrate you use the worse the quality will get.
    Last edited by jagabo; 18th Jun 2011 at 20:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is huge ? Be default AVStoDVD should work out the appropriate bitrate and encode your files to fit. The only time it usually has issues with this is when too much footage is put into it and there is simply no way to make it fit. You should not have to manually set the bitrate in AVStoDVD. The more likely explanation is that your footage is already DVD compliant, and AVStoDVD is set to use compliant footage without re-encoding. If this is the case, I would take the larger output that AVStoDVD has created, and run it through DVD Rebuilder to get it down to a single disc size. DVD Rebuilder uses the same encoder (HCEnc or Quenc), so the quality should be the same as AVStoDVD would output.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still having the same problem a year and a half later. Hoping someone can help.
    I tried to author a DVD last night using AVStoDVD. I added a title. It is 612MB, but the output size increased to 1447MB!
    I have had similar problems when trying to make a copy of a DVD using DVDShrink and the size was doubled, too, so I don't think it is just AVStoDVD.
    I'm wondering if there is something wrong internally with my computer. I have a dvd burner.
    I'm enclosing a screenshot to help explain my problem:
    [Attachment 15287 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Ronny G View Post
    I added a title. It is 612MB, but the output size increased to 1447MB!
    [Attachment 15287 - Click to enlarge]
    That's not unusual. MPEG 2 encoding (required for DVD) is not as efficient as some other codecs so it requires higher bitrates, hence larger files. If you started with an Xvid AVI or h.264 MKV, for example, you would expect the file size to grow like that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not quite certain what your source is, from other posts here I gather your source is already MPEG2. As jagabo suggested earlier, and in my own experience, a bitrate of 4600 vbr (that's a target bitrate of 4600 with a max bitrate set at 6500) should fit 2 hours on a single-layer DVD. If you're unable to achieve those parameters but are working with higher bitrates, why not set this project for dual-layer DVD and get twice the storage capacity?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 04:02.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just don't know why the output size is 1447MB.
    It is a 22minute TV show.
    I have been able to fit 5 of these 22min shows on a single-layer DVD in the past with no problem.

Alright, I'll go back to the beginning:
    Here is the original source.
    I recorded 5 30-minute episodes on my magnavox DVR player in SSP mode on a single-layer disc.
    I put the disc in my computer. I right-click 'open' on the disc icon to explore the contents.
    It has 2 folders: a VIDEO_RM and a VIDEO_TS folder.
    [Attachment 15295 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 15296 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 15297 - Click to enlarge]

DVD Shrink will not open the disc. It says invalid DVD structure.
    DVD Fab will open the disc, but it shows 11 titles(???) when there are only 5 titles!
    Anyway, I made a copy of episode 1 a video folder not an iso.
    I opened it into mpeg-vcr, a program used to edit out commercials.
    The result is 612MB
    Quote Quote  
  10. File size = bitrate * running time

If you want a smaller file, use a lower bitrate. I don't use AVS2DVD but if you add a single 22 minute episode to a project it probably uses the max bitrate allowed for DVD. Ie, if you're only putting 22 minutes on a DVD there's no reason not to use 9000+ kbps. But your sources are already DVD compatible. Why convert them at all? All you're going to do is lower the quality.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Dec 2012 at 00:06.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    File size = bitrate * running time
    If you want a smaller file, use a lower bitrate.
    I don't know how to lower the bitrate or I would. How do I lower it.

I don't use AVS2DVD but if you add a single 22 minute episode to a project it probably uses the max bitrate allowed for DVD. Ie, if you're only putting 22 minutes on a DVD there's no reason not to use 9000+ kbps.
    I don't want to just add a single 22 minute on a dvd--I want to add 5 different 22 minute titles on a dvd but the output size is going too be large to fit 5 titles on a single layer dvd--not a dual-layer dvd. I tried adding 5 titles and the bitrate did not lower.

But your sources are already DVD compatible. Why convert them at all? All you're going to do is lower the quality.
    I didn't know I was converting them? I want to edit out the commercials. I'm using MPEG-VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  12. @ Ronny G

could you post the screenshot of AVStoDVD main window after adding the VCR recorded mpeg2 file?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean this one: As you can see I added a title. It is 612MB, but the output size increased to 1447MB!--nearly a third of the dvd. At this rate I can only add 3 titles to fit on a single-layer dvd without losing quality.
    [Attachment 15303 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  14. Invalid Attachment specified

Please use the 'Insert Image' icon.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ronny G View Post
    Do you mean this one: As you can see I added a title. It is 612MB, but the output size increased to 1447MB!--nearly a third of the dvd. At this rate I can only add 3 titles to fit on a single-layer dvd without losing quality.
    [Attachment 15303 - Click to enlarge]
    All your attachments are invalid links. I have no idea what you're doing.
    Your input MPEG is being re-encoded. Without a short sample of your original vob input (or a text copy of a MediaInfo readout), no one can be certain what's happening.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Ronny G View Post
    I don't want to just add a single 22 minute on a dvd--I want to add 5 different 22 minute titles on a dvd
    Again, I don't know the software you are using. But I think the solution is to add all 5 source videos to the project. The program should then determine the right bitrate for the amount of material added.

I want to edit out the commercials. I'm using MPEG-VCR.
    MPEG-VCR is a smart MPEG 2 editor. The files it output should be smaller than the files it started with because you removed the commercials and the editor didn't reencode what was left.

But again, since your source is already DVD compatible all you need to do is author a DVD, not reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I agree. Perhaps MPEG-VCR is trying to make a single small clip fill as much of a disc as possible (that's a guess, anyway). According to a quick read at the software's website, the app doesn't re-encode the entire video. So jagabo could be correct, maybe you should load all segments into the app, make your cuts, and check the results.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is very frustrating. I don't know why none of my images are showing up. I am using the insert image icon.
    When I add an image, the board uploads it and creates a link in my post.
    I'll try again.
    [Attachment 15311 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This is very frustrating. I don't know why none of my images are showing up. I am using the insert image icon.
    When I add an image, the board uploads it and creates a link in my post.
    I'll try again.
    [Attachment 15311 - Click to enlarge]
    Try instead the Upload files/manage attachments and upload your files. The insert image icon-feature is buggy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or, you can also use an image-hosting site and link to the images from there.

The insert image-button feature in the editor is buggy? I don't think I've noticed a problem with it in the past... but then, I don't often use images in a post, here on VideoHelp.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying another method. I uploaded the image to postimage.org instead of uploading the pic directly from my computer.

Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    According to the image, you're inputting an MPEG2 recorded at a variable bitrate (most likely) and re-encoding at a constant bitrate (CBR). That might explain part of it, anyway. Most DVR's record at variable bitrates (VBR) for smaller file size.

BTW the "Insert image" icon here sometimes acts buggy, and the image doesn't appear for several minutes. Sometimes. Sometimes right away. Beats me.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 04:03.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I started with a dvd containing 5 30-min. episodes on a single layer disc recorded in SSP mode.
    They have commercials. I wanted to edit out the commercials.
    I uploaded them to MPEG-VCR to edit out the commercials.
    Now I have 5 22 minute episodes so the size should be smaller.
    I want to use AVStoDVD to make a new disc.
    Some people are asking me why I am re-encoding?
    I want to create a new disc with commercial-free episodes with new menus. AVStoDVD does this. I have used it in the past about a two years ago.
    Here's what the screen looks like when I add 3 titles. It fills up a DVD-5 disc. In the past, I've been able to fit 5 titles on a disc without compressing them.
    Is it possible there is something wrong internally in my computer causing it too double all my DVD disc size.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here are the images of the original dvd folder.

It has 2 folders: a VIDEO_RM and a VIDEO_TS folder.

DVD Shrink will not open the disc. It says invalid DVD structure.
    DVD Fab will open the disc, but it shows 11 titles(???) when there are only 5 titles!
    Anyway, I made a copy of episode 1 a video folder not an iso.
    I opened it into mpeg-vcr, a program used to edit out commercials.
    The result is 612MB which is good.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Ronny G View Post
    Here's what the screen looks like when I add 3 titles. It fills up a DVD-5 disc. In the past, I've been able to fit 5 titles on a disc without compressing them.
    The program always tries to fill the disc. Add 5 titles and you'll see you get a full disc. Add 7 titles and you'll still get a full disc. The program changes the bitrate to accommodate the total running time (ie, each episode will be smaller as you increase the number of episodes).

I added a title. It is 612MB, but the output size increased to 1447MB!
    The reason a single 22 minute episode doesn't fill the disc is because there is a limit to how high a bitrate you can use on DVD. 22 minutes at that max bitrate comes out to 1447 MB.

And once again, since your sources are already DVD compatible you will be losing quality by reencoding. Use DVD authoring software that doesn't reencode.
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Dec 2012 at 17:39.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And once again, since your sources are already DVD compatible you will be losing quality by reencoding. Use DVD authoring software that doesn't reencode.
    Okay, so it sounds like I'm using the wrong method.
    I want to create a single-layer dvd that contains about 5 commercial-free 22-min. episodes with menus.
    Can you recommend a FREE DVD authoring software that can do this and create menus?
    If you can recommend one, let me know and I'll try it.
    Thanks.
    P.S. I have used DVDAuthourGUI in the past, but I didn't like the menus.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I don't make DVDs very often but when I do I use an old copy of Ulead DVD MovieFactory to author to VIDEO_TS then ImgBurn to burn. I believe most of the free tools are GUIs for DVDAuthor.

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/authoring-dvd

Maybe someone else will have some suggestions.

<edit>
    I just checked, AVStoDVD has the ability to avoid reencoding. Go to Options -> Preferences -> Audio/Video and make sure Keep DVD Compliant Video is enabled. make sure the DVD Video Standard setting is correct. And the DVD VIdeo Resolution is correct (AUTO?). Also make sure Keep DVD Compliant Audio is enabled.
    </edit>
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Dec 2012 at 20:13.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The input files are 352*480, 1/2 D1. Is it possible your project settings are set to 720*480, or
    some other factor causing the program to re-encode the files?

If it's passing the files as-is to the authoring stage it would only take about 10 minutes.
    Likely a few hours if re-encoding, depending on the CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just noticed 352x480 as well. The recommended 4500/6500 max VBR bitrate for 2 hours of video could be raised to 5500/7000 for half-D1. It's a smaller frame size, but a few extra databits per frame will make it look better on a big TV. 352x480 has to be upsized more than 720x480 to fill a TV screen. Think of it as the difference between making an 8x10 print from a large negative, compared with making the same enlargement from a smaller neg. There's little sense going above 7000 max for that frame size, as you wouldn't see any more detail and would waste disc space.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 04:03.
    Quote Quote  
  30. @Ronnie

The source mpeg2 file is not 100% DVD compliant because the DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) is reported as 1.304 and not 4:3 or 16:9. Thus AVStoDVD (that is a bit choosy) is re-encoding it.

But, if you want to force AVStoDVD to ignore the DAR flag, there is a workaround.

1. Download latest AVStoDVD release (2.5.1 vs 2.3.4 you are using)
    2. Add your title
    3. Right-click on the title and select 'Edit Source Title Info'/'Video Display Aspect Ratio'
    4. Insert 1.333 vs 1.304
    5. Verify in 'Edit Title'/'Video' that 'Video Direct Stream Copy' is on

Repeat this procedure for all the titles grabbed with the DVR.

Let me know

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote