VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of old Video-Cam files on my W7 system in OpenDML AVI format, and I find that on one of my two systems they play find in DivX, but not on the other, where only VLC can play them.

How would I find out what codecs got installed on the system that works,so I could replicate that success?!
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is the inverse of what I want - I have these and know what format they are, but don't know why the same tool can play them on one system, and not on another.

The format is:
    Note: 1.22 KB unneeded bytes at end of file
    DV Type 2 AVI
    OpenDML (AVI v2.0)
    DV Audio/Video: 231 MB (94.90%)
    AVI Copy of DV Audio: 12.3 MB (5.06%)
    AVI Overhead: 87.8 KB (0.04%)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Windows comes with DV decoders so you shouldn't have any problem playing DV AVI. GSpot has diagnostic tools that let you attempt to render. It will show you what filters are used. Use the little "1", "2", "3" buttons at the bottom left. It can also show you all the filters and codecs that are installed. System -> List Codecs...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks!!

GSpot reports (From MS AV button):
    Partial render failure, Following is the error reported by DirectShow:
    0x00040242
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On the working machine, using MS A/V renders correctly, and GSPot gives the same results and report:
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->>--[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[DV Video Decoder]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->>--[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[Default DirectSound Device]]
    On the failing machine:
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->>--[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[ffdshow Video Decoder]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->>--[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[DV Video Decoder]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->>--[AVI Splitter]>--(B)-->[Sonic Cinemaster VideoDecoder]>--(C)-->[ffdshow subtitles filter]>--(D)-->[Video Renderer]

Trying to render it gives:
    Failed to connect Output pin 0x0671da84 ("Src Media") on myFile.avi to input pin 0x02382c84 ("input pin")
    on filter 0x... ("AVI SPlitter"), ConnectDirect() failed. Error 0x8004022a (unknown)

Microsoft Codec diagnosis tool (Mast_Run.Codec) did advise to uninstall several codecs,
    (ffdSHow, MpegSplitter, Xvid, Real player Shell Extension)
    But I was unsure what else that would break.

Advice?
    Last edited by guthrie; 18th Jun 2011 at 11:52.
    Quote Quote  
  5. After pressing 2 which of the three did it try to use?

Did you try in the MS A/V section or the GSpot section? MS A/V is probably more applicable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It tried all three, in order, and failed in the same way on each. Which makes sense since it was failing on a connection to the AVI splitter, which is the common first element in all three pipelines.

The MS A/V gave:
    "Partial render failure, Following is the error reported by DirectShow: 0x00040242"

On the working machine, both the GSpot and MS A/V rendering give the same approach, and both work (see above).
    Quote Quote