VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    1024 only applies somewhat to PAL SD but you are from Missouri.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot002.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	617.8 KB
ID:	7484

I don't think it's only the file size, but the sequence header seems to missing
    Last edited by ckp; 19th Jun 2011 at 19:26. Reason: better screen shot?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With microscope
    The menu shows

3.5 Mbit DVD
    352x576
    25 fps PAL

Half res SD.

What are you trying to do?
    Last edited by edDV; 19th Jun 2011 at 01:34.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry. I will try and do better with my screen captures.

That is what the DVDPatcher defaults to when it won't read a file. I'm assuming because it does not have a sequence header.

I used Sothink's Free Media Converter to convert the 26GB file to MPEG-2. It compressed to 12.7GB and the DVDPatcher program worked for the aspect ratio change. It took a little over an hour for Sothink to encode the file. I'm going to see how it looks.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've lost track of your goal. I was explaining how to get from S-Video JVC 4000U capture to 704x480 16:9 MPeg2 without a re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is my goal. But some of my files cannot be read by DVDPatcher unless I encode them. The sequence header is missing on some of the captures and the software gives me errors. Is there some way to resolve this without a re-encode? I'll keep searching for an adequate tool.
    Last edited by ckp; 19th Jun 2011 at 11:03.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Maybe remuxing with TsMuxerGUI? Or TsSniper. Or tsPackedEditor.
    Quote Quote  
  8. These appear to be, and should be, MPG files with a ".mpg" filename extension which should edit just fine in MPG2Cut2, unless you have changed the default file extension in that program.

Errors such as you are experiencing with headers and such are often solved by running thru a simple edit program, and/or a demux/remux, which just seperates the audio and video and then puts them back together.

Re-encoding should be avoided.

There is at least one other AR patcher, I forget the name. ARswitcher or something.

Are you SURE your DVHS has no other inputs? SFAIK most of these had component input available. That would get you HD to the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try MPG2Cut2 again. As one of the above posters said, it is actually a .ts file with a .mpg extension for what that's worth. It shows up in Win7 directory as a .mpg file with an MPEG bitmap above it and plays in Media Center and Media Player fine......as is. It's just the aspect ratio is off and it's SD , of course. I have accepted it being SD, but the aspect ratio is annoying as stated previously.

I have a 30K and 40K, neither of them have component inputs, only outputs. The inputs are SVideo, Composite and i.Link (firewire) and antenna.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The Type field in Windows Explorer really means nothing. It only tells you what program is associated with the extension. Even the extension may not mean much because anyone can rename a file with whatever extension they want. You should at least turn off the "Hide extensions of known file types" feature of Windows Explorer. Then at least you'll be able to see the filename extensions. The extension is one of the most important details of a file -- it's ridiculous not to show it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's off
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG2Repair worked. It was a little slow. I am going to try my large file on my other computer.
    Quote Quote  
  13. When you say it is a TS file with an MPG extension, what are you using to make this determination?

I would bet a small amount of money that it is, in fact, an MPG file with an MPG extension. In fact, re-calling your capture method, I don't think it is possible that it Could Be a TS file.

What you have is a downsampled HD file, in 16:9, captured thru S-video. These can be a bit hard to deal with as few softwares allow for the format. However, many do and IMO you are making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

I've made a LOT of such captures, usually just burned them as a 16:9 anamorphic DVD, later I just left the files on the Hard Drive and played them thru software which can adjust for aspect ratio, which is most of them.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37 View Post
    When you say it is a TS file with an MPG extension, what are you using to make this determination?

I would bet a small amount of money that it is, in fact, an MPG file with an MPG extension. In fact, re-calling your capture method, I don't think it is possible that it Could Be a TS file.

What you have is a downsampled HD file, in 16:9, captured thru S-video. These can be a bit hard to deal with as few softwares allow for the format. However, many do and IMO you are making this a lot harder than it needs to be.

I've made a LOT of such captures, usually just burned them as a 16:9 anamorphic DVD, later I just left the files on the Hard Drive and played them thru software which can adjust for aspect ratio, which is most of them.

I'm sure I'm making it magnitudes harder than it should be.

The reason I say it is a .ts file is because that is what I've been told in a previous post. I can change the file extension to whatever I want in CAPDvhs.

Name:	ScreenShot003 (732x536).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	7485

I can change the aspect ratio of the video, but sometimes I have to run it through software to put in sequence headers. That is what consumes the most time. About an hour or so for the big files. Then DVDPatcher to change the A/R. Other than that, I can change the format on my TV and restretch it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These appear to be, and should be, MPG files with a ".mpg" filename extension which should edit just fine in MPG2Cut2, unless you have changed the default file extension in that program.

Errors such as you are experiencing with headers and such are often solved by running thru a simple edit program, and/or a demux/remux, which just seperates the audio and video and then puts them back together.

Re-encoding should be avoided.

There is at least one other AR patcher, I forget the name. ARswitcher or something.

Are you SURE your DVHS has no other inputs? SFAIK most of these had component input available. That would get you HD to the computer.
    MPG2Cut2 works to repair the file. It gives it a .ts extension.....I haven't messed with it. When I open DVDPatcher it doesn't see the file unless I "show all files". I just realized this. I put the .ts file in DVDPatcher and change the A/R.

Someone posted not to encode it to an MPEG-2 file, such that Sothink Media Converter does. Is there a reason? It sure shrinks the file. Is it because it's lossy compression?

Thanks for putting up with my hardheadedness.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ckp View Post
    Someone posted not to encode it to an MPEG-2 file, such that Sothink Media Converter does. Is there a reason? It sure shrinks the file. Is it because it's lossy compression?
    It's already an MPEG 2 file and can probably be authored to DVD without re-encoding. But if you want to put more on a DVD you'll have to re-encode with a lower bitrate. What's the actual bitrate of the videos? Bitrate Viewer is the best tool for checking that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Jun 2011 at 20:25.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    When you say it is a TS file with an MPG extension, what are you using to make this determination?

Who gets to collect the money?

No need to confuse the guy. As edDV pointed out, CapDVHS saves transport streams (with a 188-byte header: TS-188 on the screenshot) but lets you use any file extension.

ckp, you don't need to go through all this mess if you're only going to be viewing the file on your PC. With a decent player you can override the AR to 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All DVHS recorders do MPeg2 TS input or output over Firewire. The reason cable boxes were required to have MPeg2 TS out over Firewire was specifically for recording with DVHS recorders.

A simple program to convert Mpeg2 TS to depacketized Mpeg2/AC3 with no re-encode is HDTVtoMPeg2. It does all resolutions and cuts on I frames.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I watch the races at a place with only OTA broadcast. I used to take tapes over there, but the quality is kinda poor using a cheap SVHS player I had retired. Tonight I took my portable hard-drive over and played it through media center and the quality was much better and was told that I shouldn't do anything with it, it looked better than ever. That is a file I used Mpg2cut2 and DVDPPatcher at a bitrate of 8 MBits and at 720 x 480 A/R 16 x 9. It wasn't HD, but it looked plenty good on a 42".

I have HDTVtoMPeg2, among the other 30 or so programs I have tried over the past few days, and I like it. I like SothinkMedia Converter also. If I could change the aspect ratio and encode it to MPEG2 at the same time, it would probably take the same amount of time as repairing the files with no sequence headers and running them through DVDPatcher and they'd be alot smaller.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help and comments, by the way!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ckp View Post
    at a bitrate of 8 MBits and at 720 x 480 A/R 16 x 9. It wasn't HD, but it looked plenty good on a 42".
    What you have is DVD spec there.

The JVC 4000U might offer a lower capture bit rate in the menus. Better to adjust bit rate there than to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hey, I did say a SMALL amount.

I re-read ed's response after typing that.

But then they should ALL be TS files, the OP seemed to be describing BOTH mpg and ts files. Part of this IMO from the selectable extension in CapDVHS, part from a properties description rather than a filename extension.

Convert the TS to an MPG, and play it through a player which handles 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    at a bitrate of 8 MBits and at 720 x 480 A/R 16 x 9. It wasn't HD, but it looked plenty good on a 42".
    What you have is DVD spec there.

The JVC 4000U might offer a lower capture bit rate in the menus. Better to adjust bit rate there than to re-encode.
    I couldn't find any menus for capture rates. The captured file is actually 11526000 bits/sec. If it didn't have missing sequence headers I wouldn't have to jack with the file for DVDPatcher. I tried usung the muxer in CAPDvhs and was unsuccesfull.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I did say a SMALL amount.

I re-read ed's response after typing that.

But then they should ALL be TS files, the OP seemed to be describing BOTH mpg and ts files. Part of this IMO from the selectable extension in CapDVHS, part from a properties description rather than a filename extension.

Convert the TS to an MPG, and play it through a player which handles 16:9.
    I can send you a small file, 55 MB that is unedited. On all my Windows 7 pc's, it has a .mpg extension. Maybe I'm missing something. PM me your email if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  25. MediaInfo and GSpot both report the container type, even with renamed files.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM

Name:	ScreenShot004 (715x416).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	7500

MediaInfo unedited file. DVDPatcher will not read this file
    Quote Quote  
  27. MPEG-TS is a transport stream. The the file extension should but .TS. MPEG program streams should end in .MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ProjectX looks promising, going to try large file on desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ran the 26GB file through ProjectX in 16 minutes. 15 Minutes in DVDPatcher. Getting quicker.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ran the 26GB file through ProjectX in 16 minutes. 15 Minutes in DVDPatcher. Getting quicker.
    So what is the result?

That is all disk fetch. Updating metadata half second GOP by half second GOP.

If you were re-encoding Mpeg, it would be hours.
    Quote Quote