VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I got a i7 950 pc on Craigs list. It has a few fans and the stock CPU cooler and fan. What is a good ttemperaturefor both CPU and GPU to be at. What is to hot and will ruin CPU & GPU? The fans are to loud so i am trying to unplug as many as I can to see what the temps will be. I always leave the cpu fan on of ccoarse But i have the four other unplugged an the side cover off and this is what I get.Click image for larger version

Name:	CPU temps.JPG
Views:	815
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	7336
    Last edited by neworldman; 12th Jun 2011 at 16:43.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your cpu is running a bit hot with the stock cooler,if you are going to do anything that will load the cpu 100% will bring it into the 80c and higher and the max temp your cpu can reach is around 100c.

Best to get a better cpu heatsink/fan if you are going to do any encoding,there's a few threads you can search for that are recent that deal with this subject.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    looks high for no overclocking and the cpu at idle. tj max for that cpu is 73c. what do the temps go to if you are encoding using all 4 cores for an hour?

what do you have for a video card and what's it's temps?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    tj max for that cpu is 73c.
    Tj max is 100c for that cpu.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Go and have a look at Quietpc.com, the CPU coolers and case fans there should give you some ideas of what's around and at what prices.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info guys. I forgot to tell you I was running my Cam/Cad software SolidWorks And GiggsCam on a big 3D parts and doing surfacing tool paths. So it was working the CPU some. Is there a test I can run to see how the temps hold up with use?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your case fans could need cleaning and/or lubrication, servicing them could help you with the noise problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    tj max for that cpu is 73c.
    Tj max is 100c for that cpu.

tcase is 68c tj max is +5 more = 73c

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37150
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Where do u get the +5 for tjmax?All sites i read say the tj max is 100c.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tjmax is tcase + 5c(or 10c in some reports) so given intel's spec of tcase as 68c then tjmax would be 73c or 78c.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I was told I put to much of the silver thermal paste on. He told me to put a pee size or smaller in the center of the chip. I put a thin layer around 80% of the chip. Is this a problem?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As long as the layer is very thin it shouldn't be a problem,if it's too thick then the paste might drop over the edge of the cpu and if it has metallic flakes then might short out contacts on the mb.

Also aedipuss,when you read realtemp readings it says temp 50c and distance to tj max at 50c,that means 100c tj max.

On coretemp for my tj max it says 98c so are both programs wrong with tj max?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Usually about a grain of rice size is sufficient for a CPU cooler. But that also assumes the CPU heatsink is flat and not warped. For a efficient CPU cooler, I like to see temps max out a bit below 50C, even at 100% load.

If you want to try an easy test of 100% load, try Grayskys H.264 benchmark: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=520 Monitor the CPU and case temps during the test.

I usually cover the whole CPU heat spreader surface with the thermal compound using a plastic credit card.

GPUs (Video chips) tend to run fairly hot. 55C is not uncommon, even with fans.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Usually about a grain of rice size is sufficient for a CPU cooler. But that also assumes the CPU heatsink is flat and not warped. For a efficient CPU cooler, I like to see temps max out a bit below 50C, even at 100% load.

If you want to try an easy test of 100% load, try Grayskys H.264 benchmark: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=520 Monitor the CPU and case temps during the test.

I usually cover the whole CPU heat spreader surface with the thermal compound using a plastic credit card.

GPUs (Video chips) tend to run fairly hot. 55C is not uncommon, even with fans.
    Ok I reinstalled the cpu cooler with only a pee size of the 99.9 silver thermal paste. I did put to much last time it was build up along where the cpu heat sink was. Also I did a benchmark test. Here is what I got. Looks like it went up to 72c on the test....Is that BAD?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench Mark test.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	7345

Name:	Bench Mark test info.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	7346
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my pc setup. Was running only one case fan and the side cover open when I tested it. I am ordering some to of the line silent fans and maybe a good cpu cooler if I need one.

Name:	IMG_0449.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	7347

Name:	IMG_0450.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	7348
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Get a better cpu/heatsink fan,the stock hsf is really crappy.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
    With that model it fits all modern cpus and is cheap and good to boot.
    Quote Quote