VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Since the warm days began my desktop started to be relatively noise from the fans. I am considering buying one cooler.

This is my processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

Here is the cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler

Will the cooler fit my processor?

Any idea if this will solve the noise issue?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes -- your CPU is socket AM2 and that cooler supports AM2.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

The reviews don't look great though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes -- your CPU is socket AM2 and that cooler supports AM2.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

The reviews don't look great though.
    Thanks jagabo!

Any other recommendations with a relatively low price?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Be careful with AMD motherboards because some put the CPU extremely close to the RAM slots. Some of the fancier coolers are so large that they will cover up 1 or 2 RAM slots in the motherboards so do some careful measuring before you buy anything to make sure that the cooler will fit without doing this unless that's not a problem for you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Be careful with AMD motherboards because some put the CPU extremely close to the RAM slots. Some of the fancier coolers are so large that they will cover up 1 or 2 RAM slots in the motherboards so do some careful measuring before you buy anything to make sure that the cooler will fit without doing this unless that's not a problem for you.
    Thank you for the advice. Will try to get a picture of what happens inside there
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing you might look in to is a water cooled unit; they cost no more than a good air unit, do a spectacular job of cooling, and are very quiet. Here is mine, although the Egg doesn't carry it any more. There are several good ones out there, and I will never go back to air cooling again. I am running high 20's and low 30's under load, and for an AMD overclocked quad running almost 3GHz I consider that really great.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227006
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, liquid cooled is nice!!

Me and a few others that i know of use this one,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181010&cm_re=h50-_-35-181-010-_-Product

Well worth the money for cooling and basically being silent.

And no issues with it blocking anything on your mobo.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
    I am running high 20's and low 30's under load...
    20 to 30 what? Degrees celsius? If so, then you have a problem with your measurements - you may have to put in an offset to get accurate temperature readings.

25C is room temp and there is no way that a CPU can run that cold.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DAMN - thanks for putting me straight! I guess after at least 20 builds and upgrades, countless repairs on units, and 8 years working at a pro AV and computer rental corporation handling accounts from coast to coast, I just now discovered that I can't read a temperature readout. Especially since I use the Apevia Xdreamer 2 case with an LED readout and and a probe directly to the CPU core. The things one learns in life.... it's wonderful. Oh-by the way-my wife's computer reads the same or a little cooler. Not overclocked and only an AMD Dual-Core running XP (she doesn't like W7).
    Last edited by ranchhand; 9th Jun 2011 at 14:51. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you case is wide enough this is the heatsink fan to get.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    With a Corsair H50 liquid cooler, my six core AMD CPU is running about 39C under a 100% CPU load at the moment and being overclocked from 2.8 Ghz to 3.5Ghz. It's been doing four BD>MKV Ripbot conversions and has been running since midnight last night. But my room temperature is air conditioned to 80F (27C) with about 25% humidity. (It's 100F (38C) outside with 10% humidity.) At idle, the CPU runs about 27C.

Before the overclock, the CPU idle temp was 22C and the full load temp was 36C.

I have a Arctic Cooler 7 and it's OK, but huge. If you have RAM with tall heat spreaders, you may not be able to attach it, or you may have to move your RAM to the outside slots. Also make sure it will fit in your case. Some smaller or narrower cases may have problems as it's fairly tall. You almost have to remove the motherboard from the case to attach it also. I didn't think it cooled all that well, though it seems to be well rated and popular. It also works best to blow though the cooler towards the rear of the case, hopefully to a 120mm exhaust fan. I also use 120mm intake fans on the front of the case to ensure good air throughflow.

I am very happy with the Corsair H50 and my PC is nearly silent, even at 100% CPU. An added bonus is the case temperatures dropped quite a bit as the Arctic Cooler was blowing around a lot of warm air inside the case.

My thread about installing a H50: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/270162-AMD-six-core-CPU-and-Corsair-H50-water-cooling-setup
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah my quad 3.2 lingers around 23c at idle....
    And i have mine set to full power so i don't have any of that pesky ramping up and down power saving green crap

But i have my systems in the basement so they are in a cool room all year round.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    If you case is wide enough this is the heatsink fan to get.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
    Or it's 90mm little brother.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DAMN - thanks for putting me straight! I guess after at least 20 builds and upgrades, countless repairs on units, and 8 years working at a pro AV and computer rental corporation handling accounts from coast to coast...

My bad... I guess that with all that experience, you are able to "negate" the laws of physics when it comes to your machines. Maybe heat doesn't exist for you. Good job! Obviously, my 25 years as an electrical engineer can't hold a candle to your experience handling accounts from coast to coast.

I bet that you can see into the future, too!

I wish that I had your "coolness".
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How's about reading Noahtuc and Redwutz temps posted above? Anything you notice?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How's about reading Noahtuc and Redwutz temps posted above? Anything you notice?
    They have the same problem as you do. Everyone says that their "cores" are running at "X" temps, but fail to explain how they measure. And if they think that their CPUs cores are running at "room temp" (or lower), they need a reality check.

You said that you use a probe connected directly to the core. Sorry, but no you don't - you can't even reach the core. Modern Intel and AMD processors have temperature sensing diodes embedded in the actual cores so that you can measure the temp of the cores. There is a program called CORETEMP that will give you the temp readings of the cores (and place a reading in the tray). But without a way to calibrate the readings from program, all you get is a temperature "trend" shower. You'll know when the temps are going up and you will know when they are going down, but you'll never know the absolutes. This is the same problem with all of the other temperature measuring devices/programs.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    25C is room temp and there is no way that a CPU can run that cold.
    And what do you consider "room temp" ?

Seeing as "room temp" can be a wide range

Because it sure the hell is a lot colder than 25 şC = 77 şF in my basement during the summer, and in the winter it's down right COOOOOLD!!!!!!!!!

Every motherboard must be wrong also as when i have my son's PC in my basement on the work bench the mobo gives a reading of around 25-28 yet when he takes it to his GF's house and it is upstairs in a room that is the same temp as outside it rises quite a bit.

And he has a 2.8 dual core with a stock cooler.

Someone here has used a laser thermal temp probe (?), i think redwudz, and i doubt you could get more accurate than that

I need to pick up one of those to play with one of these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok SLK, I think we have finished this thread. Peace, Bro.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, we've beat this horse to glue?

All that I'm saying is don't depend on these measuring devices to give you absolute "core" temps. If the readings are under 65C, then you are probably operating at a safe operating temp. Above that and I would start worrying.

I have a Laser thermo temp probe, but you can't really use it to measure the temps. To accurately measure the temp, you have to measure on the CPU case WITHOUT a heatsink, which you really don't want to do.

If you're really curious about your core temps, install CORETEMP and take some data on the temps at idle and at 100% CPU activity. It is available at this link: http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, we've beat this horse to glue?

All that I'm saying is don't depend on these measuring devices to give you absolute "core" temps. If the readings are under 65C, then you are probably operating at a safe operating temp. Above that and I would start worrying.

I have a Laser thermo temp probe, but you can't really use it to measure the temps. To accurately measure the temp, you have to measure on the CPU case WITHOUT a heatsink, which you really don't want to do.

If you're really curious about your core temps, install CORETEMP and take some data on the temps at idle and at 100% CPU activity. It is available at this link: http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    I don't think the CPU's temperature readings are completely trustworthy. Generally speaking, when my PC is idling, the reporetd CPU temps are only a couple of degrees centigrade higher than the air temperature, but a moment ago the room thermometer said 82°F/28°C, while CoreTemp said the CPU temperature was 27°C/81°F. My AMD stock cooler can't be that good. One of these readings is less accurate than the other, and I suspect it isn't the room thermometer.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Core Temp gives me exactly the same CPU temp reading as CPUID's Hardware Monitor, 27C at the moment, the same as my room temperature.

The BIOS temp reading isn't really indicative of 'real life temps' as it shows the temps when only the BIOS is in control of the CPU. Fan control, CPU throttling, and other programs may be disabled. I use BIOS temps when I first assemble a PC to get a general check of the system health, but they tend to be difficult to compare to the temps when the OS is running. And at least in my setup, BIOS CPU temps are about 23C, probably because the overclock is not in affect and my fans are running full speed.

I suppose you could correct the indicated temps in Core Temp, but I don't know how you would get the correction data for a offset as the only reliable temp data is from the core temp sensor, and with my motherboard, it's converted to digital information with a IT8720 chip and those PC temp programs use that data.

A non-contact infrared thermometer will just give you surface temps and in the case of a CPU, the base of the CPU heatsink is as close as you can get, and that temp is usually higher than the core temp because the thermal resistance of the heatsink material. With my liquid cooler, the heatsink is mostly under the water jacket cover, so nothing really to read. A infrared thermometer is very useful for quickly checking NorthBridge surface temps, along with hard drives and GPU surface temps.

With a infrared thermometer, you can also check your oven temp, refrigerator temps and about anything you can point it at that has a somewhat non-reflective surface. I use it to check if my AC or heating temps from the register are correct. Also handy for checking power supply exhaust temps. Lots of uses. A very handy tool.

Another check of cooler performance is to graph the temperatures at idle, then to full load, then back to idle against the CPU %. I do this after the PC has stabilized for a half hour. That gives me a curve for thermal response of the heatsink/cooler. The water cooler is a bit slower to respond to rapid changes in CPU temp because of the thermal mass of the liquid coolant. A air cooler has a bit faster initial response. But after the CPU load is removed, the CPU temp drops rapidly with a liquid cooled system. Much faster than a air cooled setup. I do use PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) fans that have a fairly quick response to temperature changes.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use AMD processors, so I know little about them. I do know that at normal load, they consume a minimum of 60 watts, which is a hell of a lot to dissipate. At idle, they must employ some sort of serious shutdown of non-used parts of the processor to achieve temps even close to room temp. Supposedly, the register that CORETEMP uses to obtain the core temps are absolute readings - or, what-you-see-is-what-you-get. I guess that at best, these readings should be used as a "guide" to get some kind of idea of how heavily your CPU is operating.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    A non-contact infrared thermometer will just give you surface temps and in the case of a CPU, the base of the CPU heatsink is as close as you can get, and that temp is usually higher than the core temp because the thermal resistance of the heatsink material.
    It's the other way around. The temp at the heatsink will always be LOWER than the core because of the thermal resistive path.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And if they think that their CPUs cores are running at "room temp" (or lower), they need a reality check.
    Sorry for the old thread post, but i thought this was a good "reality check"

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about36450.html

By placing the processor in direct contact with the thermo-electric cold plate, the Cryo-TEC system is more efficient in lowering processor temperatures below 0°C and increasing overclocking performance.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 26th Aug 2011 at 21:28.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Brrrrrr!!!!!!!!

LOL!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had been referring to air cooled systems.

I guess that you could get the same results using a liquid nitrogen drip onto your CPU.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote