VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an older desktop about 4 yrs old. I had to disable the Lenovo backup system about a year ago as I had to keep backing up the system every few mins the partion the os on is only 29.2 gb and has only 635 mb free. I can't get windows backup to work. my computer keeps crashing I think it is because there is no more room on the drive. all my programs I have were installed on D drive there is nothing left on the C drive I can remove. I have no back up is there anyway I can add more space to that partition or do I need to just buy another OS and reformat the drive it is 500 I have 325 free on D drive Also does windows xp proffessional still need to be activated. I have xp software from my last computer I would rather have xp anyway. Some of my software does not work with vista and most of it won't work with Windows 7
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are disk tools that can resize partitions without disturbing the data that's already on them. Like Acronis Disk Director. To be safe though, it's generally recommended you backup the partitions before resizing them -- which you can't do.

Have you tried running Windows' Disk Cleanup tool? That may free some space on the partition. Open My Computer (or is it just Computer in Vista?). Right click on the C drive and select Properties. Press the Disk Cleanup button.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    whenever you install any program, some files would be installed on the partition with the OS, even if you install the program on a different partition/drive. Might be also useful to try uninstalling unused programs, and deleting temp files regularly. also, it may be a good idea to have all your virtual memory on the D drive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I do disk cleanp 4 or 5 times per day. how do you move virtual memory? I think I will just buy another computer to go online with and take this one off line, I can remove more items like antivirus programs I need a just about all the software I have on it for my buisness which does not need to be online
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by toolady View Post
    how do you move virtual memory?
    Right click on Computer, select Properties. Go to Advanced Tab. Press Settings button in the Performance box. Select Advanced tab. Press Change button in Virtual Memory box. Allocate page file memory on different drive.
    Quote Quote