VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I've got a canon legria HV40, I've tried to connect my bullit cam via the av socket but the camera wont let me select AV from the AV/DV ...in the REC/IN Setup the third one down the list is AV-DV but it's not highlighted so can't go from DV To AV ...... am I missing something ...Please help....Steve....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try over at www.HV20.com for answers if nobody responds
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you trying to record composite(yellow/red/white) in to the hv40 onto tape or use the analog to digital passthrough? what format is the bullit cam exporting?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    to be honest I've had this camera before , it broke (dropped it) and the insurance sent me the exact same one, now what I used to do was with the bullit cam (two leads) one plugged into the battery pack and the yellow one into the yellow ...(white and red redundant) ..5mm jack into the AV..back to the menu , switch from DV to AV and away you go ...now whatever you point the bullit cam at you see through the view finder on the camera....but it's been that long since I've done it I'm not sure if I've missed something ...but I dont think I have.....
    Steve...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you may need to switch the recording section of the cam from HDV to DV and set the firewire output to DV.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well done Aedipuss, I new there was something wrong, that did the trick, just couldn't put my finger on it, Cheers mate....and Zoobie thanks for the advice.
    Steve......
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have a Canon Legria HV40 camcorder and want to transfer my VHS videos to DV.

I have studied the camera manual, but I get stuck with the settings on my camcorder.

I connect my camcorder to the video machine with an AV cable- the 3 to one cable and the connect the cable to the yellow AV terminal. From the camcorder I connect the firewire cable to my computer.

The manual advises to use the AV-DV setting, but mine is greyed out. What I did is the following- I put the camera on Play mode, press function, go down to menu, changed playback from HDV to DV and comp out to 576.

Or should I change the settings in record mode?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    re-read post 5 in this thread. you may also need to set the firewire output to DV only. and remove the tape if there is one in the drive.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HV20/30/40 has HDV or DV (standard def) modes under camera menus and also HDV/DV modes under "Play" menus.

To cap analog, the camera section needs to be in DV mode. On the output (Play) side you can set to Auto or DV only.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot- the settings work!

I see you recommend WinDV for capturing. I have used it in the past and found it very good. My problem though is space on my hard drive. - I have 15 GB on the one HD and 70 GB on the other. Does it mean I will need to convert to mpeg 2 every few hours and delete the avi file?

There is not a good programme that will convert to mpeg 2 while capturing?

I have Pinnacle 15 to edit my videos and the whole Adobe Master Suite CS5, but I only use Photoshop at this stage.

Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by avz10 View Post
    Thanks a lot- the settings work!

I see you recommend WinDV for capturing. I have used it in the past and found it very good. My problem though is space on my hard drive. - I have 15 GB on the one HD and 70 GB on the other. Does it mean I will need to convert to mpeg 2 every few hours and delete the avi file?

There is not a good programme that will convert to mpeg 2 while capturing?

I have Pinnacle 15 to edit my videos and the whole Adobe Master Suite CS5, but I only use Photoshop at this stage.

Thanks a lot
    Quality will be better if you cap DV first, then edit, then encode to MPeg2 or other. Your computer doesn't appear to be fast enough for realtime encoding during capture. That machine is likely to drop frames attempting realtime encoding and the quality will be low. I suggest you invest in a larger hard drive if you plan to capture in quantity.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for the advice. I will go the WinDV capture route.

Your computer doesn't appear to be fast enough for realtime encoding during capture. That machine is likely to drop frames attempting realtime encoding and the quality will be low
    This is my current set-up. I am not sure when last I have updated my details on this website, but must do so.

What are good convertors to MPeg 2?

Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have captured my first video cassette with WinDV and the result is excellent.

Now for the second step- what is a good converter to MPEG 2? I want to convert and then edit in Pinnacle.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by avz10 View Post
    I have captured my first video cassette with WinDV and the result is excellent.

Now for the second step- what is a good converter to MPEG 2? I want to convert and then edit in Pinnacle.

Thanks
    I suggest you edit in DV format and at the end encode to MPeg2. You can do this in Pinnacle software or export DV to an external MPeg encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have started a new thread in this regards, please see "What is the best current AVI to MPEG 2 converting software"

Thanks
    Quote Quote