VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So,
    after 12hrs of reading...
    Clean install....

I have finally found a maybe suggestion to whats wrong..

The problem.

I have connected my Video 8 camcorder to the shuttle (which was also used to record the media)
    via composite video with a good RCA cord.
    When i am in camera mode it is perfect and records great.
    However i want to capture my old Video 8 tapes onto the computer (lossless)
    When i turn the camera to video and press play, the capture screen "flickers" badly. I see empty screen, then video, then empty screen and so on. It is totally useless...

I thought it was nec drivers then the shuttle drivers etc,

What i have learned is it might be that the Tape has time base error and i need a TBC time base corrector??

What is wrong?? i thought this was going to be easy with the blackmagic shuttle and my new computer...

Do i get a new capture card?
    Do i get a new TBC? and can u get them to Capture into the computer?
    Do i get a second hand video 8 camcorder off ebay?
    ARRrg
    Last edited by mayhampixi; 3rd Jun 2011 at 14:36.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have got a reply from Blackmagic:

Quote strted:
    Thank you for contacting us. Usually in this case if the signal from your
    Video 8 is spotty then you would need to add a sync source to this in order
    for it to capture properly.

VHS machine composite output can vary widely in its sync level quality - if it’s a high grade VHS player AND tape source it will be fine, if not then perhaps try a cheap VHS dubbing box.

Try SVideo out from your camera along with composite
    Use SVideo input in shuttle (dummy composite will probably will give it the sync)
    Use red and white Audio.
    Quote ended.

Can i ask whats a sync source? is this like the time base corrector?
    Is the Video 8 now VHS? Or have they got it wrong or is it the same format?
    A cheap dubbing box? Again i don't really know ??

I really dont know what i need now..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Really?
    Noone can help..

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like they are recommending a TBC, don't know why they talked about VHS, possibly additional info or a mistake in copy/paste.
    Quote Quote  
  5. All analog tape based formats have time base errors. If that's what causing the problems with the Intensity Shuttle a TBC should help. In my opinion any analog capture device should be able to tolerate the average time base error on VHS or Hi8 tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I got the intensity shuttle for Thundebolt. I use it to capture from the LaserDisc player which outputs composite to Panasonic DMR-ES25 DVD Recorder (for motion adaptive 3d comb filter) which in turn outputs component to Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt. I am informing everyone that it can drop up to 8 frames without informing the user. When you capture any video, how would you find out that the frames are dropped if you are not informed about it? But I was simultaneously capturing from my LD player using S-Video into Diamond VC500. And also after that I would capture into ATI HD 750 PCIe. Captures using VC500 and ATI HD 750 PCIe perfectly matched. But captures using BM resulted in lost up to 8 frames. One time I lost 8 frames, 2 times I lost 4 frames, other 2 times I lost 2 frames and one time I lost 3 frames. There were a couple of times that I didn't lose any frames. I just informed BM support about it. But in case you want to get this device, be aware. Another thing is audio is kept in sync. I.e. when I was short 8 frames, the audio was short by approximately 250 milliseconds.
    Quote Quote