VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys ... I had a simple question to ask to those who have converted MKV's to AVCHD's for playback on the PS3. I want to know what exactly are the requirements for a video to be AVCHD complaint, and for an AVCHD to be playable on the PS3 ?

Specifically, would should be the maximum number of reference frames (I've heard both 6 and 9 as the maximum number), what is the maximum accepted 'level' ? And are these two limitations related in some way ? And what resolutions are playable under AVCHD format in the PS3 ? This is confusing because some non-standard resolutions (e.g. 1280x536) actually play fine on the PS3 as an AVCHD, but others dont (black video with sound for example) ..

Any other requirements ?

What can I do to make a non-complaint MKV into an AVCHD complaint one ?

For some converts to AVCHD, when played on the PS3, I see the resolution of the PS3 switching from 1080p to 720p, then to 480p, and then the video plays with a black video screen (i.e. no video), but the audio is coming like normal ...

I previously did a LOT of converts (close to 50 or so) from MKV to AVCHD about 2-3 years ago, and have forgotten the rules of the game right now, so was looking to find the answers again .. Any help here would be really appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use multiavchd. Use the disc option in the output screen before the final processing stage if burning to disc. Or use the "solid state media" option if you are going to use a flash drive or something similar.

Let a program that is designed for avchd do it for you. I think you will over think it if you try to manually manipulate every single aspect.

That or try avchdcoder.

edit - also if these are all mkv you should also look into mkv2vob. Also if they are h264 videos (use mediainfo or gspot to find out) than you can remux them into a mp4 file and leave them unaltered.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I have tried using multiAVCHD with some of my new MKVs, but the resulting AVCHD is not playable on the PS3 .. I tried about 10 of them, and only one played back on the PS3 ... So for now I'd like to first verify my results by doing the procedure manually through tsmuxer and mkvmerge and stuff, and then once I know the inner workings, I will move onto multiAVCHD and other tools ..

But for me to work manually first, I need to know the actual requirements for a video to be AVCHD complaint ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you burn them to disc? I would suspect faulty discs as a possible source of the problems. Try a better brand like taiyo yuden or verbatim. Also burn with imgburn for best results.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do a multiavchd project and select PS3 as the output,then copy the AVCHD folder to a usb thumb drive and plug it into ps3 and select the video option and scroll to the usb device and click to play.

That will tell you if the ps3 can play the files without waisting discs.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote