VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. VirtualDub gives this error when I try to play certain AVI files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VirtualDub-H264-1.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	7051

GSpot says the files is:
    Video Codec Type: H264
    Video Codec Name: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
    Video Codec Status: Codec(s) are Installed

I can play the file with all the other players I've tried.

It's obviously a by product of uninstalling ffdshow. I don't want to re-install that for now at least (mainly because I find it impenetrably complex!). I have AVIs associated with VirtualDub, so how can I get it to play files of this sort please?

I'm also puzzled why MediaInfo seems to be reporting the file rather differently:
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info: Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile: Main@L4.0
    Codec ID: H264

Codecs remain a true black art to me, so I'd much appreciate some help please.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks a bunch, Baldrick, that fixed it!

Excuse the change of topic, but ... I have AVI (Cinepak) and AVI (MJPG) files that do play OK in VirtualDub (and all my players) but their thumbnails don't appear in folders. Any thoughts please?

--
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    I have AVI (Cinepak) and AVI (MJPG) files that do play OK in VirtualDub (and all my players) but their thumbnails don't appear in folders. Any thoughts please?
    Did you forget this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/335068-No-MOV-thumbnails-in-XP-folders?highlight=thumbnails
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks jagabo, but no! See my latest reply to Darrell about issues I'm having with Codec Tweak that are muddying the water.

But another intriguing aspect has just arisen. In another folder I found that I could see my MP4 thumbnails! I copied one across to the folder under discussion - and its thumbnail vanished. Closer inspection revealed that this folder had no Thumbs.db. Yet under Tools > Options > View I don't have a checkmark in Do not cache thumbnails. Just the same as the setting in the other folder.

So it seems that this particular issue comes down to: why isn't a Thumbs.db being created?

Anyone have any ideas please?

--
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I replied to your question in the other thread.

I've run into this problem before also. I may have been able to fix it with a XP repair but I may have had to do a clean install. Now I make a Acronis backup every time I get my system running the way that I want.

Google used to be a very useful tool but now, every time you ask it a question, it will give you millions of pages that have nothing to do with what you asked. If you Google "why isn't a Thumbs.db being created?", it will show you all kinds of pages on how to get rid of Thumbs.db but not one single page for "why isn't a Thumbs.db being created?" or any other way that you want to word it.
    Quote Quote