VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a Samsung S10 HD camcorder that is used for home movies. The video quality is excellent (full HD), the problem is I want to transfer the video files to DVD with the time / data added to the images. This task unfortunately is not proving straightforward!! If I output the video stream as a composite/component/hdmi signal the connected device (television) displays the same information as the lcd screen on the camcorder. Using that method I can get the time/date displayed but only if I want the various information overlays related to the camcorder operation (battery info, memory card indicator, play symbol, quality status) displayed as well. (Not an option!!)

The samsung camcorder saves the video files as .mp4, 50 frames per second, 1920 x 1080 resolution

I have carried out a lot of searching online and found various packages that allow subtitles to be added to the stream. I have lost count of the different packages I downloaded, eventually I determined that 'format factory' provided the easiest interface. Investigation of the subtitling method led me to the .srt file format. As the FF software does not have a built in method of creating a time/date .srt file, I wrote an app that reads the information from the source file and creates the corresponding output.

With my home made app and FF I have a crude method of getting the video from the camcorder into a different file with the time/date subtitle stream added. The problem is the length of time it takes to convert the file using FF (15 minutes for 90 seconds) and the output does not have the same video quality as the original.

Does anybody have any better ideas as to how I can get the .mp4 file saved by the camcorder to be converted with negligible loss to output file with the time/date added.

time2innov8
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you converting to DVD-Video or AVCHD? Then can you make switchable subs when authoring. You can also have switchable subs in an avi, mp4, mkv, etc but not all players supports this.

If you are reconverting to a 1080p mp4 with burned in subtitles it will take some time to reconvert whatever method you use. Be sure to reconvert using h264/x264 video and use similar video bitrate as the source and you shouldn't lose too much quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Hi baldrick, thanks for the response.
    I am looking to create a video file that will play back on a standard DVD player with the same quality (if possible) as the original. Ideally the method that has the most automation would be preferred.

time2innov8
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't make any standard dvd-video in 1080 HD quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM

Didn't think about the 1080 issue, blu ray burning would be an option I could use.
    If I was to use standard DVD what would be the highest quality file format I should consider. In the past I have used nero and exsate video express software.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Standard dvd-video = 720x480/576, www.videohelp.com/dvd#tech

You can get very good DVD quality with free software like avstodvd and you can add your srt as a switchable subtitle.
    Quote Quote