VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I must have missed an episode, or something because I saw that McGuyver was a general, and all if a sudden now some guy who looks ike Brezhnev is the general:

(actual picture of Brezhnev)

What did I miss? How come McGuyver is no longer general?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe you are thinking of Beau Bridges.

Oneal became a general in season 8 I believe. In season 9 and 10 he was essentially off the show only doing cameos.

Edit - season 9 and 10 introduces Mitchell and Vala (well Vala had an introduction in season 8 but didn't become recurring until 9). 9 and 10 are the ORI story arc which is more or less wrapped up in the direct to video movie STARGATE ARK OF THE TRUTH.

Edit 2- I think Richard Dean Anderson was essentially retiring - at least from full time acting. He still went on to do cameos in SG Atlantis and some in Universe. Also a bit part in Stargate Contiuum.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, then I must be up to season 9 now. There is a local movie channel (This! TV) that shows episodes 2X on Sunday nights. I didn't catch them when they were new.

Anyway, my real question was what was the storyline given for McGuyver's departure as general? I understand that General Hammond had a heart attack (in real life).
    Last edited by zzyzzx; 24th May 2011 at 15:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At least so far, this current season I am watching (with the ORI stuff) is not as good as previous seasons. Mostly because of cast changes though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah the cast takes some getting used to.

They kind of fluffed off the change from oneal to damn can't remember the guys screen name.....

He essentially is off at the penatgon doing something. I think Hammond officially retires. And from what I remember I think they kill him off offscreen from a heartattack in season 10 - Hammond that is, they rename a ship after him I think.

Check out wikipedia for more of a blow by blow.

I have all ten seasons on dvd including all 5 for atlantis and the two direct to video movies. The truly minute details of some episodes gets lost in that jumble...
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've been watching it on This!TV as well, and it seems to me that they have skipped a lot of episodes. I could be wrong since I never saw it in the original run, but there just seems to be a bunch of plot holes.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    I could be wrong since I never saw it in the original run, but there just seems to be a bunch of plot holes.
    That very well could be. I'd check out hulu - I think they have all sg1 episodes but I could be wrong. They are spotty sometimes on the newest stuff. It could also be relegated to HULU PLUS and force you to pay for it. (though at 8.00 a month if you dedicate a weekend to watch two seasons you could cancel at the end of the month and only be on the hook for one month.... )

If you are interested in watching it straight through I'd check out your local libraries. They MAY have them on dvd. Though Stargate is definitely not as popular as Star Trek or Xfiles (or at least my reckoning - heck xfiles made 2 theatrical movies and stargate could only do 2 direct to video - I like stargate a lot but probably isn't enough in the mainstream for a local library to purchase). My library has SOME Startrek and all xfiles on dvd and lost. It would be something to look into.

Seasons 9 and 10 aren't the greatest but it grows on you. Mitchel is a bit flat at first but you get to like him later on (well not hate him - he does get better adjusted with the cast). I like Vala from the intro show in episode 8.

FYI if you've played UNCHARTED 2 you really like the actress who played vala - Claudia Black is it? SHe played Cloe I think it was - the new gal in the series. That was some of the best cinematics ever made in a game.

YOUTUBE it if you've never played uncharted or don't own a ps3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy View Post
    I've been watching it on This!TV as well, and it seems to me that they have skipped a lot of episodes. I could be wrong since I never saw it in the original run, but there just seems to be a bunch of plot holes.
    I was thinking that it's one of those shows where a multi-episode plot was not necessarily shown in consecutive ordr.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx
    I was thinking that it's one of those shows where a multi-episode plot was not necessarily shown in consecutive ordr.
    No they are. BUT they do have side shows where the Ori theme isn't front and present in the entire show. You may be seeing some of these tangents and wonder what the hell is going on. But in a 2 season break from the Gaould story arc they did a pretty good job of introducing with and thwarting (spoiler??? ) the ORI. Stick with it its worth it.

In other words - story arc a leads episode 1 -2 -4 with episode 3 being a diversionary show not directly related to the main thread. Is that what you are referring to?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    In other words - story arc a leads episode 1 -2 -4 with episode 3 being a diversionary show not directly related to the main thread. Is that what you are referring to?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @zzyzzx - In all honesty that is what stargate does. Even Atlantis does that. They don't have every episode about the Goauld or every episode about the Wraith in Atlantis' case.

Actually I'm kind of glad that is the case. The whole end of the universe dire plot stuff can wear you down in a long series. Some levity and nonsense is welcome in scifi where you can do so much neater stuff than a lot of other, I hate to use the word, genres.

The whole Martin Wormhole Xtreme series in SG1 wouldn't have been possible. Or THE OTHER GUYS episode with doctor flox from Enterprise and Patrick McKenna who played Harold in the Canadian comedy Red Green.

I don't think thats a detriment to the show.

BUT I do see how trying to catch up on a series in the middle of it and having a side track episode could throw you off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just saw the 200th episode of SG-1. Loves the StarTrek and Team America: World Police parodies! Saw the guy from Glee on it!

There was one parody that I didn't understand. It was the "obscure reference" right after the Gilligan's Island reference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Found my answer here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/200_(Stargate_SG-1)

It was a Farscape reference that I was unfamiliar with. Never heard of that TV show before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was a Farscape reference that I was unfamiliar with. Never heard of that TV show before.
    FYI that is where Claudia Black (aka Vala) and the guy who plays mitchel came from.

I tried starting it on Netflix and it was just kind of blah to me. Not bad not great just there. I didn't really finish the pilot. I'm not saying its bad it just didn't grab me.

But yeah the 200th is a riot. Definitely good times.

Its worth watching all the Marty episodes again. And its fun seeing TealC be "MURRY"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just saw the Contiuum movie. Loved it, but at one point Dr Jackson loses a leg, but then she shows up later on in the movie with 2 legs and no explaination????

Also showing it and Ark of the Truth again on This TV on Friday. Stargate Atlantis has disappearead from my TV listings as of this week.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
    I just saw the Contiuum movie. Loved it, but at one point Dr Jackson loses a leg, but then she shows up later on in the movie with 2 legs and no explaination????

Also showing it and Ark of the Truth again on This TV on Friday. Stargate Atlantis has disappearead from my TV listings as of this week.
    Different time lines. When Mitchell goes back in time (near the end of the movie) and kills Baal right after he exits the stargate on the ship to prevent him from changing the original time line, the point where Jackson loses his leg never happened.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @slk001 and zzyzzx - actually I thought it was supposed to be an artificial leg that he got used to working with?

If I'm not too much mistaken when they go through the wormhole when everything is disapearing in the opening that is when they go to the alternate reality. They only do that once. When they go to the planet with the gizmo to fix everything at the end of it that is still in the "first" alternate reality. In other words there is only one alternate reality in the movie as far as I am aware of.

But zzyzzx does bring up a valid point. They seem to forget about it.

But if I'm right that its an artificial leg this alternate reality must have a damn good replacement available.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    @slk001 and zzyzzx - actually I thought it was supposed to be an artificial leg that he got used to working with?

If I'm not too much mistaken when they go through the wormhole when everything is disapearing in the opening that is when they go to the alternate reality. They only do that once. When they go to the planet with the gizmo to fix everything at the end of it that is still in the "first" alternate reality. In other words there is only one alternate reality in the movie as far as I am aware of.

But zzyzzx does bring up a valid point. They seem to forget about it.

But if I'm right that its an artificial leg this alternate reality must have a damn good replacement available.
    No, Mitchell goes back in time to prevent the events that causes everything to go awry in the first place. If you remember, Jackson, Teal'c and Carter all died to allow Mitchell to go back in time. Since he prevented the alternate timeline from ever occuring, the end of the movie shows everything normal - like nothing strange happened - which it didn't. They didn't go through the stargate a second time, since the movie ended just before they would have done it back in the correct timeline. General O'Neal had just offered to buy everyone lunch.

The paradox of time travel.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dr Jackson is using crutches as he exits a taxi, and clearly is missing part of a leg. The next time you see him, he has his leg back and it's as if it was never missing.

I am also thinking that this TV version of the movie might be missing something.

Now that I have researched it I do find descriptions of this scene:
    http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate:_Continuum

Jackson gets a prosthetic leg and enters a book shop and sees the alternate Jackson's book "The Truth About the Pyramids", which is selling at a 70% discount. He later finds a way to call his alternate self in Egypt, and tells him not to give up hope. Jackson's double promptly hangs up on him.

I'm pretty sure that none of this was in my ThisTV version of the movie. I still have it on my DVR and I think this part got cut out for a 5 minute or more commercial break.
    Quote Quote  
  20. For you guys that have not seen FarScape, I highly recommend it. Many similar elements to StarGate. Takes a bit to get into it, but one of my very favorite shows. It was canceled so SciFi Network could run Stargate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dr Jackson is using crutches as he exits a taxi, and clearly is missing part of a leg. The next time you see him, he has his leg back and it's as if it was never missing.
    Yes that is correct.

As far as I know that is not missing. I have it on bluray. Sometime I'll have to rewatch it to be sure. But he does have a prosthetic afterwards but they treat it like it was a real leg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where can I watch Farscape episodes then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you have netflix streaming it's available there. I've got it on my list of things to watch but haven't got to it yet.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Last night's episode was the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unending

Seems like a anti-clamatic ending to a long running TV show, I'd think!

I guess this means I can watch Arc of Truth now, correct?

Also, in another episode I just watched off my DVR, I loved the way they made negative comments about Dancing With The Stars.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like ThisTV! is starting StarGate SG-1 back at the beginning starting next Sunday night!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like a anti-clamatic ending to a long running TV show, I'd think!

I guess this means I can watch Arc of Truth now, correct?
    As long as that was the last episode of season 10 yes. Thats the time one by the way. And the end of the asgards....

@zzyzzx - Hope you get them in order. It's not critical but it does help.

I know when I bought my dvd sets it helped watching them sequentially. As we discussed in other threads they aren't 100% show after show top story arc but seeing them in order keeps the side characters in order. It helps to know who the tolan are and where the tokra came from and the like.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that I have seen both StarGate movies, I like Continuum much better than Arc of Truth. And not because Continuum had McGuyver in it, the story was better.
    Quote Quote  
  28. This thread is so 90's
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stiltman View Post
    This thread is so 90's

Took this long for StarGate to make it to broadcast TV.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
    Took this long for StarGate to make it to broadcast TV.
    No, Stargate was broadcasting in syndicate starting back in ~1997.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote