VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you have a collection of movies of a particular actor or actress? Or do you just collect movies you actually like? Do you buy something just to complete a set or do you only buy ones you intend to watch often?

For some reason I've started looking out for Schwarzenegger action flicks. I don't know why. I guess it started with Terminator 1 and 2 on dvd. From there I got True Lies. Just recently I got at garage sales the following - Predator, Last Action Hero and Jingle all the way (the last one on vhs). I think I have twins on vhs somewhere but can't remember.

Oh yeah I also have Kindegarten Cop on vhs also - haven't watched it yet but its there.

I also recently picked up the Bourne trilogy on dvd at a garage sale. Again I have yet to watch it (I know Schwarzenegger wasn't in it but this is in regards to collecting sets). I also have Robocop on tape that I have dubbed to dvd (all three - again haven't started watching em yet - though I have seen the first one all the way through).

And i got Short Circuit 1 on dvd just the other week after having Short Circuit 2 for a few years now. I also have all jurassic Parks, Indiana Jones, Mummy and of course Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

-------------------

Back to the question - do you make it a point to collect movies from a particular actor/actress? Or do you just get the movies you know you'll watch regularly?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am more likely to look for works by a particular director than an actor or actress (I have a good collection of Hitchcock, Kubrick Leone, Argento, Scott - Ridley and Tony, Fincher, Kurosawa etc), but if a film has appeal, for whatever reason, it will probably end up in my collection. I also a large collection of Hammer films - Dracula and Frankenstein, of course, but also the one-offs and aberrations, and similar films of the era from competing companies - Amicus etc. I have the Leone-Eastwood Dollars trilogy on DVD and now Bluray, but then I also have other films from each (Eastwood as actor and director, Leone's Once upon a time trilogy). Some directors and actors I appreciate, but don't like all of their works. David Lean is a director that I admire greatly, and I think Lawrence of Arabia is one of the greatest works of cinema ever made, but Dr Zhivago and Love Story do nothing for me. So I have Lawrence, and Lean's Oliver, but not the other two.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just collect movies I like with little regard to who's in them, who directed them, or who produced them. I tend to collect all of a series, (Star Trek, Star Wars, TLOR, etc.) but that's primarily because I liked the series.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    there's a few actors/actresses that i think consistently put out a good performance and seem to know that a script will be good, examples:

johnny depp

john cusack

edward norton

kurt russel

i have a hard time thinking of a bad movie that any of these guys were in.

salma hayek (only because she's so hot)

as for directors, robert rodriquez because he's one f'd up dude, anything either written by, directed by or that stars quentin tarantino because i'm pretty sure he's insane.

other than that clint eastwood's work, both as an actor and director, almost all his stuff is top notch (watch gran turino).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats
    watch gran turino).
    Made in Michigan if I'm not mistaken - Flint I think.....

Still haven't seen the movie yet. But if I'm right that was one of the first movies to be made in the recent uptick of hollywood films shooting in the state.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only "by person" movies I've really ever collected is anything from Kevin Smith.
    Any TV show, special episode, cartoon, movies, recorded live performance, etc -- I must have it.
    With Kevin Smith, it's just endless laughs.

Even his appearance on Real Time with Bill Maher was pretty funny.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm up to about 60tB of movies on the NAS's - lately been concentrating on Concerts and Musicals pre 2000
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote