VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Adobe Acrobat Reader save and open location is My Documents, and I have to browse to folder where I want files saved or opened. Is there a way to change that to another location chosen by the user without having to do multiple clicks to browse to desired location?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right-click the shortcut (either on the desktop or in the Start menu) that you use to launch Reader, and click Properties. There should be an entry box in the shortcut properties for the folder/directory you want the program to start in when you open it. In Vista, you'd click on the Shortcut tab, then edit the "Start in:" field. I don't know what Win2K uses, or remember what XP and 9X used, offhand. (I'd have to boot our XP and 9X systems just to check... well, and my Win3 system, too. )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the empty box and entered the start in location clicked apply and OK, but it still starts in My Documents instead. Why won't in start in the location entered?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dunno about the box but my Acrobat opens in the folder that was last read from and its not 'My Documents'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "Start in:" field of the shortcuts is the 'default' way to do it, but programs don't always seem to honor it. I'll have to experiment with Reader and see what happens. (I usually just double-click on a PDF in Explorer to view, rather than go through Acrobat's menus. )

Edit: Okay, I've checked Reader 9 (9.4.3) on Vista. (I don't remember, offhand, if there's a limit to the versions you can use with Win2K, unfortunately.)
    Used Open > navigated to a new folder with PDFs and then opened one of the PDFs, then closed Reader. Started Reader again, and Open called up the same folder. That didn't change if I picked a new PDF from the old directory in the Recent Files list, double-clicked on a PDF from Explorer, or closed Reader without opening a PDF.
    So, it does seem to remember the directory in which you last opened a PDF. I'm not sure how well, though.
    Last edited by Ai Haibara; 24th May 2011 at 14:41.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It appears it's a version issue. I was running Reader 7 and tried Reader 8 with same result. After reading the Ai Haibara post, I tried Reader 9, and it now opens in same location as last file opened which is I wanted.
    Quote Quote