VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there! How've you been folks? It's been a long time... Now I was just wonderign if there's a way to play flac. files using ffdshow and MPC. Furthermore, is there any application I can usefor rendering to this format? I know Sound Forge can play this kind of file but that is not freeware. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPC or Winamp plays flac just fine...right click on the file and choose "open" or "Open With"..then navigate to MPC or Winamp and that's it...btw, make sure you have the flac decoder to play those files...ffdshow should have that already built into it. I use Winamp but I also have used MPC and it does a good job also
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you're using MPCHC: it has built in flac source filters and flac decoders. You can disable the internal decoder if you want to use ffdshow instead (to use ffdshow's other filtering options, for example). You can also make it the default player for flac files via its options dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  4. foobar2000 can make flac, so can Reaper.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I usually use Creative MediaSource 5 Player to play all my FLAC files but MPCHC & VLC plays them fine.

And i use FLAC Frontend & EAC to make my FLAC files.

All free.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use MPC Home Cinema. The newest version is way better ... it doesn't seem to do more but it works much, much nicer. Maybe you can use ffdshow ... I have it for other software ... but I haven't needed to change defaults.

And I've played a bunch of FLAC files just by double clicking them.

The best thing is it uses Directshow so you don't have to potentially cause instability in your system by using non Windows codecs, which can be wonky. I won't touch stuff like Quicktime Alternative or K-Lite.

And if they can make this work with just about anything, why should anyone bother with all that codec crap?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    MPC Home Cinema... The best thing is it uses Directshow
    No, it uses its own built in flac source filter and decoder (unless you disable them). That's why you don't need to install anything else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there, greetings from the jungles of Brazil (lolol rio rio rio.. lol). Thanks to all old friends and new ones who took time to respond. Thks for all the nice ideas.

I had already checked out ffdshow yesterday before posting here. I enabled the extension and just dropped the files in MPC but nothing happened (not even the warning - cannot render the file). Let me see it if can make it today. Otherwise I'll download MPC Home Cinema. I'm not at home now so I'll do this as soon as I get there and post a message here later. Thanks again, friends.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  9. MPC is outdated. It will need a flac file reader/splitter in addition to the flac decoder. Just update to MCPHC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi jagabo,
    Thanks a lot, man. I'll do it.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  11. i am using latest MPC-HC and would also like to play FLAC through ffdshow audio (using the mixer functionality to upmix stereo to 7.1). this works great for mp3, ogg, ac3, mpeg, ts, ... files by disabling the internal decoder-filters for those types. but FLAC keeps getting played though "madFlac 1.10" and ffdshow is not accessible. i have clues. someone any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  12. ok, i think i found a solution: playing FLAC, MPC shows:

majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM {00000001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

in MPC options, external filter, add "ffdshow audio decoder". it should have already set the media types from above as default, otherwise add them. set its mode to PREFER. now FLAC should be played through ffdshow. madFlac seems still be to get loaded, whatever, anything i want i can do now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all who took time to respond. I'll reply later showing what I've done around here. Cheers,
    Mark.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPCHC does a great job! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by vxu View Post
    ok, i think i found a solution: playing FLAC, MPC shows:

majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM {00000001-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

in MPC options, external filter, add "ffdshow audio decoder". it should have already set the media types from above as default, otherwise add them. set its mode to PREFER. now FLAC should be played through ffdshow. madFlac seems still be to get loaded, whatever, anything i want i can do now.

Tried hard again and again... but not sure i did add the right way. and FLAC continues to play without ffdshow. please guide me throughly how to add FLAC external filter in MPC-HC. there are many options there in MPC-HC external filter setting tab and i am still confused how to do it? thanks for help!
    Quote Quote