VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I have a rare VHS that I'd like to transfer to DVD as it's not available for sale on DVD. However, it's a copyrighted film from PBS.
    Are there any services that will do such a transfer despite it being copyrighted? I've already contacted PBS and they have given me permission to due such a transfer, so long as I don't sell the DVD and it's only for backup purposes.
    If there aren't any such services then how would I go about transferring from VHS to DVD, with as high a A/V quality as possible? I need the video to be uncompressed (AVI) and the audio uncompressed (plain PCM). Yes, I know this will certainly require more than one DVD and it would have to be divided into segments.
    Also, how does one bypass the inevitable copy protection on a VHS?
    Obviously I've yet to do a VHS to DVD transfer. Please help me. I already sent the VHS to a company that knew exactly what I wanted, in the custom manner. I received the email today that they can't perform the transfer due to the film being copyrighted. Now I have to get it sent back to me and well, that leaves me where I am in writing this post.
    Thank you,
    Justin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by takearushfan View Post
    I need the video to be uncompressed (AVI) and the audio uncompressed (plain PCM).
    You're kidding right ?

Yes, I know this will certainly require more than one DVD and it would have to be divided into segments.
    Try MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY dvdr's!!!!

I don't recall offhand the exact size per minute or hour, but i have an uncompressed raw "avi" that is only 4m 11s long and it is 7.28gb!!

The last full length movie i did, which was over 2 hours long took most of a 300gb HDD!

Anywho,
    Macrovision, which you can do a search on and you will find how to defeat it and probably quite a few suggestions on the best way (a number of ways) to transfer it from VHS to your pc to then do what you want to do to it.

You could spend a small fortune in equipment if you really want
    with as high a A/V quality as possible?
    And then i imagine you would want to actually convert it to "DVD" as to watch it in standalone dvd players ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I need the video to be uncompressed (AVI) and the audio uncompressed (plain PCM).
    You're kidding right ?

No, no kidding. However, see below.

Yes, I know this will certainly require more than one DVD and it would have to be divided into segments.
    Try MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY dvdr's!!!!

Hm. The guy representing the service I was in touch with claimed uncompressed audio and video would only require 6 DVDs! ... and ...

I don't recall offhand the exact size per minute or hour, but i have an uncompressed raw "avi" that is only 4m 11s long and it is 7.28gb!!

The last full length movie i did, which was over 2 hours long took most of a 300gb HDD!

Apparently he lied

Anywho,
    Macrovision, which you can do a search on and you will find how to defeat it and probably quite a few suggestions on the best way (a number of ways) to transfer it from VHS to your pc to then do what you want to do to it.

You could spend a small fortune in equipment if you really want

A small fortune, no. However I would think there'd be something possible for under $300.

with as high a A/V quality as possible?
    And then i imagine you would want to actually convert it to "DVD" as to watch it in standalone dvd players ?
    Well, on my computer but yes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There is such a thing as overthinking and unrealistic expectations when it comes to this type of transfer. Please don't take me the wrong way, I'm sure this program is precious to you, but dubbing a VHS recording to uncompressed AVI and PCM is normally considered massive overkill. The VHS format doesn't really support that high a level of capture, people only take that route if they know they'll be doing endless tinkering, restoration and filtering of the video in software. (Or if they want to chop the video into little pieces for personal reasons or web uploading). If all you want is a good basic capture, find someone with a DVD recorder and copy the tape to it in the XP/HQ "speed" which offers maximum bitrate and PCM audio at a roughly 60mins-per-dvd capacity. A well-made commercial tape sourced from PBS would capture beautifully that way, I really don't think the uncompressed AVI route would offer much additional quality. You could then rip the DVDs onto your computer HDD for viewing there, and save the actual discs as backups.

There are other considerations.

The tape may or may not be copy protected. If it is, you will need a filter or external TBC to remove the protection. This alone would blow to hell any advantage of uncompressed AVI capture: the filtering will reduce or affect the PQ noticeably. Also, the only path to uncompressed AVI is by dubbing from VHS directly into a PC- a process fraught with more glitches, unpredictable issues and higher costs than anyone imagines before they attempt it. Unless you know how to handle the inevitable issues, go with a DVD recorder for capture. I'll assume you want PCM audio because the program is musical in nature: if so, you'll need a recorder with the PCM feature. Current models usually do not have this, you'll need an earlier Pioneer, JVC, or Panasonic model which offers PCM audio as an option within the XP/HQ recording speed. VHS protection filters are fairly inexpensive now that they're a commodity product, try something like this. (If you use a computer for capture, you might need this instead, because computers are way more twitchy and need hard-core signal conditioning for even the simplest capture- otherwise they lose audio lipsync). The least expensive new recorder with PCM audio recording is this Panasonic. If you monitor Craigs List you may find a nice second-hand model for much less ( any older DVD/HDD model will have the feature, the model EH50 is often found for under $100).

Unfortunately those still seeking to make VHS captures are caught between a rock and a hard place nowadays. PC capture is a royal PITA, and the better-grade full-featured DVD/HDD recorders which once simplified this task immensely have all but disappeared from the market. If I were you, and really only needed to do one tape, I would take the easiest route first just to see if I might be satisfied with the results. Buy the Magnavox MDR513 or MDR515 DVD/HDD recorder from Wal*Mart online: this is a remarkably good-quality unit priced under $250. It makes fantastic VHS dubs at the XP and SP speeds. It does not offer PCM audio recording, but the "normal" DVD audio quality might surprise you. These units are curiously insensitive to copy protection on VHS if you dub to their HDD section, you may not even need a filter. See if you like the results: if not, return the unit for refund and prepare yourself for the rigors and expense of PC capture.
    Last edited by orsetto; 19th May 2011 at 03:38.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Uncompressed RGB, 720x480, 29.97 fps is about 112 GB/hr.
    Uncompressed YUY2, 720x480, 29.97 fps is about 75 GB/hr.

Quality starts with the player. You need an SVHS deck with a built in line TBC. Then you need a full frame TBC to prevent A/V sync problems and strip away Macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Get in touch with Pick 'em Up Productions: www.pickemupproductions.com

They do this kind of thing with the type of hardware mentioned by jagabo. If you really want uncompressed avi then you'll also need to provide an external hard drive. All for around 30 bucks excluding shipping.

Good luck!
    Last edited by pantalanaga11; 19th May 2011 at 13:11.
    Quote Quote  
  7. jagabo makes an excellent point I neglected: for uncompressed AVI to be worth the trouble, you would also need a high-quality SVHS or DVHS vcr with built-in noise reduction and head TBC to "clean" the video. This becomes yet another headache and costly expense: such VCRs have to be found second hand, many are worn out and need repair.

It hardly seems worth it for just this one tape. Try the service suggested by pantalanaga11. You might also contact LordSmurf here on VH via private message. He's our resident expert on VHS digitizing and makes his living at it, using all manner of equipment for any quality level desired. I do not know if he would accept copyrighted material, but it can't hurt to ask. If he agrees, no one could do a better job for you, and it would avoid you investing in hardware you don't need for aside from this one-time project.
    Last edited by orsetto; 19th May 2011 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by takearushfan View Post
    I have a rare VHS that I'd like to transfer to DVD as it's not available for sale on DVD. However, it's a copyrighted film from PBS.
    Are there any services that will do such a transfer despite it being copyrighted? I've already contacted PBS and they have given me permission to due such a transfer, so long as I don't sell the DVD and it's only for backup purposes.
    If you have written permission anyone should be willing to do it for you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you have written permission anyone should be willing to do it for you.
    Unfortunately even though I do have permission I'm still being told by various services that still can't do the transfer. I guess it's one of those "cover my *ss" things :/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a little home studio will probably do it for you...around $12-15 an hour I suppose
    they usually have low requirements and would like a nice hot dinner these days

reminds me of the saying:

want to make a small fortune in the video industry?
    start with a large fortune...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    want to make a small fortune in the video industry?
    start with a large fortune...
    Yes, good one.

And there's the story of the apple distributor that was buying apples for .75 cents and selling them for .50 cents, and losing money. So he decided he needed to buy more trucks to expand distribution.
    Quote Quote