VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

I have been copying and converting my stargate Sg1 collection to MKV files for storage and i have hit a snag. Upon MediaInfo-ing one of the episodes in a vob file i found that the scan type was interlaced. When watching that vob i could not see any visible effects of interlacing for example combing. I checked my mkv of that file which i converted with hand brake on the high setting, the only thing being different is i set the frame rate to 25fps as opposed to same as source. MediaInfo report this Mkv being progress which does not make sense to me as i did not have deinterlace or decomb on what so ever. Also upon mediainfo-ing one file it said the scan type was top feild, i thought for interlacing to occur you required both a top and bottom field ie even and odds. Whilst some said either top feild or interlaced some of the VOB reported no scan type what so ever with the field being ommited completely.

Any help or advice or comments would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are these PAL or NTSC DVDs?

It's not unusual for progressive frames to be stored as interlaced on PAL DVD. MediaInfo only looks at the first MPG header. It's possible that the VOB file switches back and forth between interlaced and progressive during the video. You could try using DgIndex to examine different parts of the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If this was a 25 fps "PAL" DVD, the 24p original gets sped up 4% to 25fps but then can be encoded as progressive or split into fields as interlace. Even if encoded interlace, both fields come from the same frame so there will be no line split.

Some of these scifi shows used video effects. The original SG 1 was shot and produced in Vancouver in 1994. In those days composite NTSC D2 was widely used for editing. Component DigiBeta was just beginning to ship then. So, it was likely that the original season was edited NTSC, then converted to PAL. If that was the case, there may be interlace line splits or conversion artifacts during effects sequences. That is unless they separately edited PAL effects in Vancouver.

According to Wikipedia, Seasons 1-3 were shot on 16mm film. Seasons 4-7 were shot 35mm. Starting with Season 8, HD video cameras were used. All seasons were shot 16:9 but the show was broadcast 4:3 until the 2000's.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th May 2011 at 08:22.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys yeah it was a PAL DVD, Australia here. Thanks for the information guys it was both informative and very helpful and i especially like the extra work edDV went to with regards to Stargate. If i remember correctly because Stargate was filmed on 16mm film for the first three seasons it will never be transfered to blu-ray or if it does it will be lower quality. I think i will download DgINdex and have a poke around out of pure curiosity as the rips seem to be fine.

Kind Regards.
    Quote Quote