VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm already beginning to approach perhaps the biggest single hurdle in my latest home video project. A brief summary:

I acquired and made use of a 4.0-channel portable audio recorder called the Zoom H2, which seems to have performed nicely. There are ways of converting the 4.0 into a proper 5.1. Meanwhile, the actual camera recording the footage was sitting in the back (it was a family fireworks show), and sound-wise it mostly got the spectators' reactions. It was always my plan to convert the H2's 4.0 into the center, front-left, front-right, middle-left, middle-right and LFE, and then use the camcorder's audio for the rear-left and rear-right. And fortunately the video will be watched on a home theater with a 7.1-channel setup and a PS3 doing movie duty. The final movie format will almost certainly be a Bluray disc (BDMV), like my last video project.

Now then. I really am not expecting Premiere Pro to be able to help me with this. I'll do most of the editing there but the final creation of the 7.1-channel audio track seems destined to involve the use of one or more additional apps. My guess is I will need to come up with the 8 audio channels with the help of Audition, and then throw those 8 channels at some app which is able to convert them into a format that can be accepted by one of the Bluray authoring apps, or else forced into acceptance with some sort of trickery.

TrueHD / DTS-Master may be out of the question. I don't yet know for sure. But if that is the case, then does the Bluray format allow for 7.1-channel PCM? I'm not looking for anything fancy; it just has to work. And since this evidently isn't a popular topic (yet), maybe the info will be of immediate help to anyone else who was thinking of upgrading their presentation options.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First, you don't have 8 tracks, you have max four from the H2 and a redundant stereo set from the camcorder. There are very few 7.1 Blu-Ray discs. In most cases 7.1 is synthesized from 5.1 in the receiver.

Originally Posted by Asterra View Post
    But if that is the case, then does the Bluray format allow for 7.1-channel PCM? I'm not looking for anything fancy; it just has to work. And since this evidently isn't a popular topic (yet), maybe the info will be of immediate help to anyone else who was thinking of upgrading their presentation options.
    The Blu-Ray format allows 8 PCM tracks.

Your project seems to me like 5.1, Four from the H2 plus a center narration and derived LFE. The camcorder stereo adds nothing except for sync of H2 tracks to video.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    First, you don't have 8 tracks, you have max four from the H2
    It is not at all complicated or unheard of to take four-channel audio and derive 5.1 channels from it. I could do it with Audition and a little patience. But see: http://lehmayr.de/e_misc.htm

and a redundant stereo set from the camcorder.
    This is all a matter of opinion but I'll address this. The H2 was about 15 feet away from the fireworks platform. The camcorder was a good 70 feet further back from that. The six audio channels are plenty discrete, and, with a little tweaking, will result in an excellent sound space.

The Blu-Ray format allows 8 PCM tracks.
    Good to know. That is probably the route I will go, once the specifics are ironed out. Or else, I have recently read that Sony Sound Forge can encode AC3 7.1. Perhaps it will be as simple as taking AC3 from that app and feeding it to Encore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update: According to "What is Blu-Ray" https://www.videohelp.com/hd, you can have 9 PCM tracks, also 9 DTS. But you will probably be encoding DD 7.1.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BR_Audio.png
Views:	839
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	6833

Your 7.1 mix is your own creative decision.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote