VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there a way to set up CapDVHS so that the final file is imediately recognizable by Quick Time. I must end up with a *.MOV file so that I can import it into a special application that will only accept Qick Time files of the *.MOV format.

I'm trying to avoid having to convert the *.mpg file into *.mov, which is what I've been doing so far.
    Quote Quote  
  2. IIRC there is no way to change the way the files are transferred, a conversion would be necessary. Never actually used the app but researched it a lot over at AVSForum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddiegnz1 View Post
    is there a way to set up CapDVHS so that the final file is imediately recognizable by Quick Time. I must end up with a *.MOV file so that I can import it into a special application that will only accept Qick Time files of the *.MOV format.

I'm trying to avoid having to convert the *.mpg file into *.mov, which is what I've been doing so far.
    CapDVHS will cap the MPeg2 TS stream to a m2t file. You can demux to elementary MPeg2+AC3 streams, then rewrap in whatever container you want without recode.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

CapDVHS will cap the MPeg2 TS stream to a m2t file. You can demux to elementary MPeg2+AC3 streams, then rewrap in whatever container you want without recode.
    sorry brother, but you're a bit over my head on demux and rewrap. I never heard those terms. How do I do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

sorry brother, but you're a bit over my head on demux and rewrap. I never heard those terms. How do I do that?
    MPeg2 transport stream
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream

A Comcast box IEEE-1394 transport stream contains only one video and one audio (usually AC3). These are shown in this program. This is a Leno show capture. Output of this program will be unpacketized MPeg2+AC3. From there you can use Quicktime for Windows Pro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HDTV2MPEG2b.png
Views:	324
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	6828

HDTV2MPEG2 also allows editing out commercials with I frame cuts.

Alternate program for demux is tsmuxer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try MPEGStreamclip. The author's website has good documentation for the program's features.

MPEGStreamclip can convert MPEG2 ts files to a codec normally used for the .mov container, but I can't tell you what parameters or codec to use. I don't work with Quicktime video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot Mpeg Streamclip was available for Windows. It may do the direct container conversion without recode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My mistake. MPEGStreamclip won't simply re-wrap MPEG2 in a .mov container. It will only convert to a different codec for .mov.

It can demultiplex standard definition MPEG2 into separate video and audio files. However, the only containers it permits for exporting MPEG2 as MPEG2 with audio and video combined in one file are .mpg or .ts.
    Quote Quote