VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello everyone!

I have some 720P file in disk, most are movie and show kind content, format is WMV/AVI(xvid)/MKV, I want to transcode into H264 for smaller size and compatible to my 32” LED TV with least quality loss.
    My source is as 4000-7000kbps, progressive, 1280x720 or similar, I studied a lot on doom9’s topics and x264 settings in wiki, after days testing and the problems I’m facing is:

1. As my acknowledge, the x264 is more efficient than WMV/XVID/DIVX, so my target bitrate is around 3000±200kbps, any suggestions about this bitrate for 720P H264?

2. Some experienced guy indicated me to encode by CRF 21 rather than 2 pass vbr for this kind of lossy format, but I find to some movies the result(both quality and file size) from crf20/21/22 varies too much and different to control, what do you think?

3. Here is my code use Megui, but the process is rather slow in my outdated P4, please help to give some suggestions if this could be done better?

--level 4.1 --pass 1 --bitrate 3000 --stats "*.stats" --deblock -3:-2 --b-adapt 2 --ref 9 --merange 32 --me umh --subme 9 --partitions all --no-fast-pskip --sar 1:1 --output NUL "*.avs"

--level 4.1 --pass 2 --bitrate 3000 --stats "*.stats" --deblock -3:-2 --b-adapt 2 --ref 9 --merange 32 --me umh --subme 9 --partitions all --no-fast-pskip --sar 1:1 --output ".mp4" "*.avs"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can't have both best filesize and best quiality. If you're leaning towards quality, go with #2 and realize that sometimes the file will be smaller and sometimes it will be larger depending on what the video needs to maintain a given quality and not necessarily what you would like. I'm more worried about quality than filesize, so I always go with CQ.

If files are already in MKV, more than likely they're already h264 and you'll gain little to nothing and probably make it worse. Doubtful that the extra work on a divx/xvid file will gain you much either. I never did much work with WMV so that you'll have to test yourself.

If this is all downloaded source, it would be cheaper and quicker to just get another hard drive.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Thank Neo for your reply.

You can't have both best filesize and best quiality. If you're leaning towards quality,
    Yes, I understand this well, so I just struggle to make a ballance between bitrate and quality. for crf I tested and it will be less efficient and I was wondering if there is a 2pass crf?

If files are already in MKV, more than likely they're already h264 and you'll gain little to nothing and probably make it worse. Doubtful that the extra work on a divx/xvid file will gain you much either. I never did much work with WMV so that you'll have to test yourself.
    Yes, I know conversion from a lossy format to another seems meaningless, but I want it playable in my 32" LED TV set, which only support rmvb/xvid/divx/h264, so I have to convert wmv into this. But I don't want it too large into HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's no 2pass CRF. It's there to give the video the bitrate it needs to maintain a given quality.

Then is sounds like you're more concerned with file size. But playing with the average bitrate to get it right is the price you'll pay. Personally, with (only) a 32" TV, I'd still go with h264 but go to 480p with 2000+/- 2 pass.

I have a 60" tv and my BR player upscales our DVDs very nicely. Yes, I can tell the difference between DVD and a Bluray, but most people can't. I sit at a distance and have the eye sight for it to make a difference.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    in a group someone told me, by using command line, you can encode crf firstly to see the quality and get a stats file, then 2nd you can use 2pass encoding to adjust the bitrate if you think necessary.
    But I get no stats file after 1 crf encodine in Megui, do you know how this can be done?

But I really can see the difference between dvd source and 1080/720P source in my 32" LED, so I'd rather got 720P.

I have another MKV, it can't load in my TV, the x264 code is
    cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=6,6 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=16 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=6129 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:0.30

It seems not too much different from what I use in the top post, but it stops and get no response until I turn off the power when played in my TV. so I was wondering if the setting of H264 matters or anything else?

the file details:

Code:
    Complete name         : 77650.mkv
    Format                           : Matroska
    File size                        : 4.37 GiB
    Duration                         : 1h 32mn
    Overall bit rate                 : 6 774 Kbps
    Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.1.0 ('Another Place To Fall') built on Aug 19 2007 13:40:07
    Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
    Video
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames
    Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate                         : 6 129 Kbps
    Width                            : 1 280 pixels
    Height                           : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
    Color space                      : YUV
    Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.222
    Stream size                      : 3.87 GiB (89%)
    Writing library                  : x264 core 59 r808M ff5059a
    Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=6,6 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=16 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=6129 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:0.30

Audio
    ID                                   : 2
    Format                           : AC-3
    Format/Info                     : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension              : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID                         : A_AC3
    Bit rate mode                 : Constant
    Bit rate                          : 640 Kbps
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Channel positions                : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth                           : 16 bits
    Compression mode           : Lossy
    Stream size                      : 423 MiB (9%)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by xjohn View Post
    I have another MKV, it can't load in my TV, the x264 code is
    cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=6 / me-prepass=0 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=6,6 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=16 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=6129 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq='blurCplx^(1-qComp)' / qcomp=1.00 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=2:0.30

It seems not too much different from what I use in the top post, but it stops and get no response until I turn off the power when played in my TV. so I was wondering if the setting of H264 matters or anything else?
    It's probably choking on 16 bframes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    It's probably choking on 16 bframes.
    I think so too, as this setting has many parameter I seldom used, so I'm not very sure.

Some guys also said this setting goes really unreasionable, I want to know if some parameters here go conflict with others?
    Quote Quote