VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't really know how it's done. There's no "compression" going on because I'm doing a direct stream copy of both the audio and video. Perhaps I had better explain my situation.

I captured a dozen hour-long miniDV tapes as type 1. Why type 1? Because in Premiere Pro, type 2's audio slowly goes out of sync with the video, perhaps owing to the fact that the two are not muxed in type 2. Rather than repeat the "joy" of manually adjusting for this sync issue, I went with type 1 this time around.

Unfortunately, any spot of corruption in the DV files (of which there is always at least some, particularly at the end of the tape when things go haywire) causes Premiere Pro to basically lock up during its peak generation process. This means I have to pass these videos through something and single out the good from the bad before letting Premiere Pro touch any of it. I chose VirtualDub.

When saving the imported video as a new avi, VirtualDub complains when it encounters corruption. It's a messy but somewhat convenient way of spotting those moments without having to watch the videos in their entirity. In this manner, I am able to create a few "clean" video clips from the original full videos.

Unfortunately, VirtualDub is creating type 2 DV videos, and as I have mentioned before, these have sync issues in Premiere Pro (and probably anything else). I'm not looking for a fix to these issues. I went round and round with this problem years ago and the only solution - outside of manually "fixing" the sync - was to use type 1 DV.

I gave DVDate a try. But that program seems to feel that 32KHz is good enough for the audio so it squashes the original 48KHz down, regardless of what one has selected in its settings.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can easily convert type 2 to type 1, and vice versa, using a (free) tool such as the Canopus DV File Converter.

The process is lossless and fairly quick.

You could also try the Enosoft AVI Repair Tool.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/289100-Convert-DV-type-2-to-type-1-Or-is-there-an-a...=1#post1752925
    Last edited by Gavino; 16th May 2011 at 05:03. Reason: Ulead converter only one-way (I->II)
    Quote Quote