VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to extract, and/or edit/print subtitles from DVD format ?

I've read articles elsewhere on this site on doing this for other formats (AVI etc.)... this may seem a bizarre question, but the reason for wanting to do this is that I teach English (to Greek children from Crete) ... we use DVDs from time to time ( including 'accessible' Shakespeare) .... Being able to extract, edit, and print the subtitles text PRIOR to seeing the DVD, would help.

In the case of the Shakespeares, it would mean we were studying the same text as the DVD (rather than the complete text).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitles of the selectable kind can be extracted. Be aware that DVD subtitles are basically images. But many subtitle extracting tools have OCR (optical character recognition) build-in, to convert to editable text, often as SubRip .srt format, which is basically a plain text document from which text can be copied.

You may also want to search at subtitle sites to see if anyone else has already done that step for you, for your particular title.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks, I did not realise that DVD subs were images (as opposed to text), I will look into your suggestions.
    Quote Quote