VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey there,

I've recently build a HTPC and an unRAID server which I would like to populate with the movies I own as DVD or Blu-Ray. While searching for the best way to do that, I found this site and read several guides and threads about this topic.

Since I don't want to shrink the rips, I've decided to go with MakeMKV to get a 1:1 MKV from the Blu-Ray. So now I've got some questions about this task.

1. Which "Title" is the right one?
    In many guides about MakeMKV they just say "Take the large title as that's the main movie". Now I've load my BD of Inception in MakeMKV and it looks like this

So there are two large titles. One being a little larger than the other one. So should I just stick with the largest? Meaning the 37,1 GB one in this example? In this example I guess the 37,1 GB title is the file which is played when you select "Extraction Mode" in the menu cause it got no german audio track.

2. Which Subtitles to use?
    Again I'll use Inception as an example. I selected the title which is 32,6 GB big instead of the 37,1 GB one because the 37,1 GB one only has English Audio but I'd like to have English + German audio and english subtitles. So my selection would look like this

Is that correct? What is the difference between the normal subs and the forced ones? Are the forced ones "burned in" the movie and can't be turned off?

3. How to convert the Audio to AAC 5.1?
    As I don't have an expensive sound system (and I doubt I'll have one in the near future) I don't need DTS-HD. As you can see in the last screenshot, I selected the DTS 3/2+1 Audio stream. Now I've read that you can save some space if you convert the audio to AAC 5.1. without a hearable loss in the audio quality. That sounds nice. Now my questions is, should I use the DTS-HD stream and convert it to AAC 5.1 or is the DTS 3/2+1 stream more than sufficient enough to be converted to AAC 5.1? Also I'd like to know on how to achieve this. Should I make the MKV with MakeMKV and then demux the DTS-HD or DTS 3/2+1 stream, convert it to AAC 5.1 and then remux it? Or what's the best approach on this (or does it even make sense to do so).
    If it does make sense, I'd appreciate a little how to do so

So yea, I guess these are my 3 questions concerning Blu-Ray ripping with MakeMKV. On another note, is there a reason to use another program than MakeMKV for ripping my DVDs? Or can I happily stick to MakeMKV for this job, too?

Thanks in advance,
    Choque
    Last edited by Choque; 11th May 2011 at 12:15.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are making things much more complicated than you need to. Take the largest file in the movie chain. Leaving everything as "default" won't really make enough difference size wise and there may be some reason in the future you'd wished you'd left them in. I used to use MakeMKV, but have little reason to do so with my HD media player.
    Quote Quote