VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to convert vob files from a DVD-r that was edited for a client of mine to mpg2 files using vob2mpg pro 3.2.2000.

I can play the output file on vlc player and the audio is there. Not so in WMP. The important issue is that there is no audio track when I import it into Sony Vegas 10d.

If I use the "output a mpg per chapter" setting, I do get audio, but the result is 18 short mpg files. I need to do this with 70 DVDs so I'm not ready to stitch all those files together.

I believe that the problem may be that the first chapter had no audio. Just a guess..

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't latest vegas has a import dvd function?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but one clip per chapter = 18 clips per dvd if I use Vegas 10 to import the DVDs.

The issue seems to be that there are 2 silent graphics at the beginning of each dvd, each marked as a chapter. If I skip those short chapters using VOB2MPG, I can get the audio included with the mpg2 file on a single clip. If I include those chapters, the entire clip will be without audio, at least as far as Vegas and Mindows Media Player is concerned. It seems VLC player sees audio on the MPG2 file.

Is that confusing enough?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I mean to say about VLC player, is that it seems to always play the audio of the mepg2 file I get from VOB2MPG. While WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER and Sony Vegas can't see the audio unless I skip the first 2 short chapters in VOB2MPG before I rip the mpg2 file.

It appears that VOB2MPG looks at the first chapter and if it is silent, then it delivers a mpg2 file that "looks" like it has no audio track in Vegas.

Force AC3 does not correct this situation.

But if I skip the first 2 chapters that consist of silent graphics, and begin the rip at the first chapter that has audio, then the rip is OK and the audio shows up on the single clip when I put it on the Vegas timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's apparent to me that VOB2MPG can be faked out by DVDs that open with silent, (video only) chapters. This causes the mpg exported to be without audio. There seems to be no workaround for this issue and no place to go but elsewhere.
    Quote Quote