VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, could anyone please show me how to do it in Vegas, below is how it looks on Vegas preview window, thanks.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the short answer is no. you can't convert 4:3 to 16/9. it's hardcoded that way. to remove the black bars top and bottom requires cropping and re-encoding which will badly reduce video quality. either get a 16/9 source or live with a 4:3 video if you care at all about how it looks.

if not try google, there are plenty of answers listed.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks aedipuss, I did try Google but only found answers for re-encoding like you said, I'm just hoping that we could simply do that in Vegas too, thanks anyway for the info. : )
    Quote Quote  
  4. It looks like your source is a ~16:9 video in a 4:3 frame. All you have to do is crop the black borders away. If you are making a DVD you'll then need to resize it back up to 720x480 (or 720xx576). The problem is that enlarging the frame and reencoding will reduce the quality a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a hdtv that can zoom the picture then no need to resize it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have used VSO ConvertXtoDVD to do this - and you have a choice of video processing encoders to try. I tend to use Lanczos and get good results. Sure you will lose some quality in enlarging the image but a lot depends on how good the original is.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by coxanhvn View Post
    Thanks aedipuss, I did try Google but only found answers for re-encoding like you said, I'm just hoping that we could simply do that in Vegas too, thanks anyway for the info. : )
    in vegas you can use the event pan/crop to select the region to render. it's the little box in the last visible frame on the timeline. hold down control(or click the override a/r button) and you will be able to move the top or bottom to the end of the black bars. when you render remember to put a check mark in stretch video to fill frame do not letterbox and make the mpeg-2 render 16/9.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDrebuilder and DVDrebuilderPro can convert to 16:9 and gives you a choice of encoders,I use HC and it works pretty well. But if your TV allows for zooming(Threatre mode) on my Toshiba TV it will likely be better than any encode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109
    But if your TV allows for zooming(Threatre mode) on my Toshiba TV it will likely be better than any encode.
    Actually I find it depends more on the player than just the tv. For letterboxed dvds the ps3 for example seems to have problems going to the full edge of the screen when zoomed in.

I have a zoom mode to properly stretch a letterboxed image but it depends on the player I"m using.

I actually find it better to watch letterboxed dvds on my xbox 360. I use it over my vga connection and it has a proper display zoom mode in its player to get full edge to edge zooming without distorting or cropping.

I think it will be a battle between the player you are using and the tv zoom function itself. They need to work in concert to get a properly zoomed image without image loss via overcropping nor vertical nor horizontal stretching.

In the end with a proper encoding job you would get an authentic 16:9 video that would stretch properly without getting out of whack.

I've done that with a capture of a letterbox vhs video. The results were great. I encoded with avstodvd and used the avisynth cropping and got it to look as if it were a dvd (well as good as vhs looks on dvd of course).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote