VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgive the newbie status, but i desperately need some help.

I have been recording with my GoPro camera and have never had a problem until now.

I was recording on a race car and due to a collision the camera mount was broken and the camera fell off the car, the camera is fine, works great still, records perfectly fine video files still on the same SD card. But the file that was recorded that night cannot be played in quicktime or windows media player due to the following errors:

Quicktime: Error-2048 could not open the file because it is not a file that quicktime understands

WMP: Encountered a problem while trying to play the file

I assume these problems are because the file was never finalized by the camera

i took the SD card to Best Buy (sorry ) and they told me that the file needed to be converted to a vidoe file (mpeg-4 is what the camera normally records the files in, so my attempts have been to convert to that) i downloaded VLC (suggested by best buy) and it will "open" the file but there is nothing to play, and when i attempt to convert the file it just creats a file that is 4KB big and thats it, doesn't give an errors or anything

Please help! the file is there, it's 2GB in size and still shows as an MP4 file in folder view, and i'm told it still salvageable.... any ideas? let me know if you need more info and i'll see what i can get for you I'm semi computer literate but have never been real involved in any video editing really

Thanks!